Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Womens pains, menstruation and the contraceptive pill Watch

The menstrual cycle.
    Everyone has no doubt had some teaching about menstrual cycle.
    Lasts 28 days, starts circa age 14-16, ends around 45-50.
    Period itself lasts about 5 days, and you lose about 80ml blood.

This is how human menstrual cycle is taught.
    Its called overt menstruation - overt as in 'visible' because you can see the blood.
    This compares with some animals whereby they reabsorb their menstrual blood without it leaking. that is covert menstruation.

But that blood loss is a bit of a waste isn't it. Doesn't really make sense to lose all those eggs and all that blood every month 'just in case' intercourse occurs.
    Menstruation is often painful as well (cramping etc) sometimes debilitatingly so.

Look back at our history and in poorer countries and we start to see something. It wasn't always like this.
    Women used to have their first periods in their very late teens or early twenties. Periods were rarely regular because people didn't tend to eat well throughout the year - and, as many know, women who are very skinny often don't have regular periods.
    Women (and men) used to have a life expectancy in their 40s.
    The average family now is at most a couple of kids. It used to be that a woman would have at least 10+ pregnancies, many of which they would lose. THey used to breast feed much longer, at least a year in most cases.

And I'm not even going back that far in history - only 200 years ago!

When you put these factors together, you realise that women 200 years ago might have on average 1-2 periods per year in their lifetime. They would be pregnant for longer (not longer pregnancies, just more of them), breast fed for far longer (which supresses menstruation) and due to diet they didn't start menstruating until they were older.

They didn't really suffer from period pains. They didn't go to the doctors in droves due to anaemia.
    The same is said for many developing countries.

What are my points here?
    Regular periods every 28 days every year from 14yo to 50yo is not 'normal' for human beings. They happen because of our modern diets and improved O&G care meaning more babies survive hence women get pregnant less often. Contraception (condoms) meaning women don't get pregnant accidentally like they used to. Vaccinations so women lose less babies during pregnancy. Baby milk formulas and weaning products so women stop breast feeding far sooner.

This isn't 'natural' by any stretch of the imagination. But it is reality.
    Once we accept this we can accept and understand that:-
    -Menstrual pain is 'normal' and expected
    -Irregular cycles are not intrinsically bad from a health point of view - just convenience
    -women should take good amounts of iron and vitamins to make up for this unnaturally high level of demand on their bodies

This brings me onto the contraceptive pill. It is a hormonal pill. Many women worry about taking it and ingesting artificial hormones.
    The COC (combined pill) works by interfering with the bodies own hormones and preventing surges of the sex hormones. Whilst woemn often still menstruate it is often much lighter and so less painful. The effects also make the cervical mucus unpenetrable for sperm and prevent follicles developing (and so eggs being released). hence the contraceptive aspect.
    Much of this is the same as hormones in pregnancy and breast feeding which work in a similar way.
    This is also probably why the pill reduces you risk of dying.
    Thats right, research has shown that taking the pill for ten years increases your life expectancy. Which makes little sense until we realise all we are doing is counteracting some of the effects of modern living - reducing the hormonal load womens bodies suffer over the years.
    It is true that this increases risks of some diseases.
    It decreases the risk from others. Add the positives and negatives together however and we end up with net positive.

ReputationRep:
    By your standards it's not 'normal' to live to 80 years + but I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Reading that hasn't helped my pain go away

ReputationRep:
    kk

ReputationRep:
    And the point of your post was..?

ReputationRep:
    All I will say is thank heavens for contraception!. Due to that I havent had a period for over a decade.........wooohoooo

ReputationRep:
    I also don't see what you're actually aiming at. . . .

also just because something was 'normal' 200 years ago doesn't mean we can't evolve so something different is 'normal' now.

Regular periods every 28 days every year from 14yo to 50yo is not 'normal' for human beings

yes it IS normal, because at this present time, as has been the case for a number of years, this is THE NORM. (although I'm pretty sure the age periods start on average is more like 11-12)

If you're going to argue that we didn't do it 200 years ago so it's not normal now then you could say that of a hundred different things.

Live in the now. . . and get to your point

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the implant. I've been bleeding for 5 weeks straight (light period). Might change contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Errr.... sorry, your point must have completely blown past my head... =/

And as for "current" period cycles of 28 days not being "normal".... just what?

(Original post by emilina)
    I also don't see what you're actually aiming at. . . .

also just because something was 'normal' 200 years ago doesn't mean we can't evolve so something different is 'normal' now.

Regular periods every 28 days every year from 14yo to 50yo is not 'normal' for human beings

yes it IS normal, because at this present time, as has been the case for a number of years, this is THE NORM. (although I'm pretty sure the age periods start on average is more like 11-12)

If you're going to argue that we didn't do it 200 years ago so it's not normal now then you could say that of a hundred different things.

Live in the now. . . and get to your point
    People haven't evolved in 200 years. Thats bloody stupid.
    Do you actually understand what evolution is? Or how it works?

And you are speaking only for westerners. Hell.
    There are hundreds of millions in the developing world who rarely have periods.

The first point is that women seem to think that having painful periods or becoming anaemic is abnormal.

What they fail to realise is that bleeding every 28 days is not what nature intended. Humans have existed for millions of years. Only in the last 50 or so has diet improved to the point they have regular periods.

The second point is the contraceptive pill is simply correcting this problem. Thats why it saves lives. Remember that when someone tells you its wrong to take on all those 'chemicals' or that its unnatural. (as recent posters in other threads have seemingly been told)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    People haven't evolved in 200 years. Thats bloody stupid.
    Do you actually understand what evolution is? Or how it works?

And you are speaking only for westerners. Hell.
    There are hundreds of millions in the developing world who rarely have periods.

The first point is that women seem to think that having painful periods or becoming anaemic is abnormal.

What they fail to realise is that bleeding every 28 days is not what nature intended. Humans have existed for millions of years. Only in the last 50 or so has diet improved to the point they have regular periods.

The second point is the contraceptive pill is simply correcting this problem. Thats why it saves lives. Remember that when someone tells you its wrong to take on all those 'chemicals' or that its unnatural. (as recent posters in other threads have seemingly been told)
    . . . . I think you missed my point. . . . .

and what nature intended and what is normal are two completely different things.

also to the bold: :lolwut: Having had periods every month now for the past eight years, i'd kinda realised that the terrible pain i feel at roughly the same time, is probably linked.

Also you are generalising. A lot of women have completely pain free periods, many (me included) have never suffered from aneamia. There is no 'normal' when it comes to the specifics of a period. . .

Also what gender are you? I'm guessing a guy. . . that or a girl who has yet to have her first period. . .

ReputationRep:
    I think what the OP is trying to say is that you shouldn't be afraid or ashamed to seek hormonal contraceptives for terrible periods, because they are no less "unnatural" or "unhealthy" than having many regular (particularly if they are heavy) periods, or than breastfeeding a baby etc

Just a counter-argument to all those people who say "oh well my sister is in bed crying for 4 days every month but I told her she shouldn't take the pill because it will mess up her hormones" :rolleyes: (as though monthly periods were the normal state from which deviation is undesirable, when according to OP's argument that is not the case)

ReputationRep:
    Why did you post this thread as anon?

Oh and the average age to start is a lot lower than that 14-16, more like 12-14.

(Original post by Blueflare)
      Why did you post this thread as anon?

Oh and the average age to start is a lot lower than that 14-16, more like 12-14.
      In the west yes. Even then there are variations. Icelandic women tend to go through menarche a year later than american girls

Wiki...
      "A decline in the average age of menarche from 17 to 13 in Europe from 1850 to 1960 is well documented[10], but a large North American survey reported only a 2-3 month decline from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s.[11] This is commonly attributed to larger body size and earlier average attainment of sufficient body fat, but other factors such as environmental exposure to chemicals that mimic estrogen or the urbanization and sexualization of Western society have also been considered as contributing factors"

And perhaps the OP posted it as anon so as not to get a billion and one neg reps - having had half a dozen for simply saying 'innocent smoothies are pure sugar, they have more calories than coke!'...

(Original post by emilina)
        Also what gender are you? I'm guessing a guy. . . that or a girl who has yet to have her first period. . .
        I hate it when people come out with this sort of thing.
        Its like saying you can't have an opinion on abortion if you haven't had one.

ReputationRep:
        You've just wasted a lot of your life on that post that you're never going to get back. Well done.

Surviving cancer isn't "natural", but I don't think you'd complain if that happened, would you?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Anonymous)
        The menstrual cycle.
        Everyone has no doubt had some teaching about menstrual cycle.
        Lasts 28 days, starts circa age 14-16, ends around 45-50.
        Period itself lasts about 5 days, and you lose about 80ml blood.

This is how human menstrual cycle is taught.
        Its called overt menstruation - overt as in 'visible' because you can see the blood.
        This compares with some animals whereby they reabsorb their menstrual blood without it leaking. that is covert menstruation.

But that blood loss is a bit of a waste isn't it. Doesn't really make sense to lose all those eggs and all that blood every month 'just in case' intercourse occurs.
        Menstruation is often painful as well (cramping etc) sometimes debilitatingly so.

Look back at our history and in poorer countries and we start to see something. It wasn't always like this.
        Women used to have their first periods in their very late teens or early twenties. Periods were rarely regular because people didn't tend to eat well throughout the year - and, as many know, women who are very skinny often don't have regular periods.
        Women (and men) used to have a life expectancy in their 40s.
        The average family now is at most a couple of kids. It used to be that a woman would have at least 10+ pregnancies, many of which they would lose. THey used to breast feed much longer, at least a year in most cases.

And I'm not even going back that far in history - only 200 years ago!

When you put these factors together, you realise that women 200 years ago might have on average 1-2 periods per year in their lifetime. They would be pregnant for longer (not longer pregnancies, just more of them), breast fed for far longer (which supresses menstruation) and due to diet they didn't start menstruating until they were older.

They didn't really suffer from period pains. They didn't go to the doctors in droves due to anaemia.
        The same is said for many developing countries.

What are my points here?
        Regular periods every 28 days every year from 14yo to 50yo is not 'normal' for human beings. They happen because of our modern diets and improved O&G care meaning more babies survive hence women get pregnant less often. Contraception (condoms) meaning women don't get pregnant accidentally like they used to. Vaccinations so women lose less babies during pregnancy. Baby milk formulas and weaning products so women stop breast feeding far sooner.

This isn't 'natural' by any stretch of the imagination. But it is reality.
        Once we accept this we can accept and understand that:-
        -Menstrual pain is 'normal' and expected
        -Irregular cycles are not intrinsically bad from a health point of view - just convenience
        -women should take good amounts of iron and vitamins to make up for this unnaturally high level of demand on their bodies

This brings me onto the contraceptive pill. It is a hormonal pill. Many women worry about taking it and ingesting artificial hormones.
        The COC (combined pill) works by interfering with the bodies own hormones and preventing surges of the sex hormones. Whilst woemn often still menstruate it is often much lighter and so less painful. The effects also make the cervical mucus unpenetrable for sperm and prevent follicles developing (and so eggs being released). hence the contraceptive aspect.
        Much of this is the same as hormones in pregnancy and breast feeding which work in a similar way.
        This is also probably why the pill reduces you risk of dying.
        Thats right, research has shown that taking the pill for ten years increases your life expectancy. Which makes little sense until we realise all we are doing is counteracting some of the effects of modern living - reducing the hormonal load womens bodies suffer over the years.
        It is true that this increases risks of some diseases.
        It decreases the risk from others. Add the positives and negatives together however and we end up with net positive.
        Surely though, that is to do with the conditions (lack of food etc). We've always been set up to have periods every month; that hasn't changed in the last 200 years, it's just that there is more food that's readily available. Also, it should be pointed out that contraceptive pill hasn't been around that long, so it's not as simple as saying that it makes you live longer- it has been linked to breast cancers rates and so on, which is why if you have a history of breast cancer in the family they will talk you through it at the doctors before they prescribe the pill.

(Original post by Gemma :)!)
          You've just wasted a lot of your life on that post that you're never going to get back. Well done.
          5 minutes out of 80ish years (42,048,000 minutes)

(Original post by Holly Hiskey)
            Also, it should be pointed out that contraceptive pill hasn't been around that long, so it's not as simple as saying that it makes you live longer- it has been linked to breast cancers rates and so on, which is why if you have a history of breast cancer in the family they will talk you through it at the doctors before they prescribe the pill.
            Actually you are wrong there. The contraceptive pill has been around decades and we have loads of data on it. I mean hundreds of thousands of women. Far far more data on its safety than with any other medication.

It raises the risk of some cancers, lowers the risk of others.
            But it lowers more than it raises.

ReputationRep:
            What is the actual point you're making, OP? I like how you've gone Anonymous by the way :rolleyes:

Where are you getting your silly facts from?

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.