The Student Room Group

Subjects required for engineering?

I have Maths and Physics HL. I want to know if both of them are required HL for engineering(preferably electrical) or some course in Nano technology or if one of them can be changed to SL?

Kronos
Reply 1
Tops Uni's want both, lower will only ask for 1, even lower may not ask for either
Reply 2
Original post by CapsLocke
Tops Uni's want both, lower will only ask for 1, even lower may not ask for either

How about MIT and Stanford?
And what about Nano technology institutes?
math higher is definitely required then it depends on the uni on the physics one, check out the unis websites that ur thinking of or at least can consider going to :smile:
Original post by ethical21

MIT is one of the best? so I am guessing both...cant u check their websites?
Reply 5
Original post by ethical21

MIT and Stanford do not have any specific requirements for the IB. MIT requires that you take SAT subject tests in maths (for you maths II would be appropriate) and a science. Stanford requires that you take any two subject tests of your choice. I would therefore suggest that you take the maths and physics subject tests (they're pretty straightforward for IB students).

US universities aren't too concerned about the course of study you wish you take when you enter university. They just want to see that you are intellectually driven and are taking the most challenging courses that your school offers.

As for UK universities, all of the top engineering courses will ask for both maths and physics HL.
Reply 6
Original post by CocoPop
MIT and Stanford do not have any specific requirements for the IB. MIT requires that you take SAT subject tests in maths (for you maths II would be appropriate) and a science. Stanford requires that you take any two subject tests of your choice. I would therefore suggest that you take the maths and physics subject tests (they're pretty straightforward for IB students).

US universities aren't too concerned about the course of study you wish you take when you enter university. They just want to see that you are intellectually driven and are taking the most challenging courses that your school offers.

As for UK universities, all of the top engineering courses will ask for both maths and physics HL.

Thanks so much..
I will surely check them out.
Reply 7
Well yeah, i agree with CocoPop , as most US universities will require you to do SAT II exams which include subject test for Physics and preferably Mathematics. As for IB points they give you credits for getting really high grades such as 6s and 7s in your HL subjects.
For engineering you will certainly need to do HL Maths, Physics as thos are the main bases of engineering and top universities tend to require pretty high grades for these subjects and for your 3rd higher level you can choose something that you are interested in, something which will help you in future perhaps with engineering. For example I chose Chemistry, cause I want to do Aerospace engineering and there will be lot of chemistry in this field of engineering !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending