Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. Did you attend any student protests and if so, which one(s)?
    2. What were your attitudes towards the police before the protests?
    3. What are your attitudes towards the police after the protests?

ReputationRep:
    1. Nope
    2. Usually good people but they are usually hungry for action and love the adrenaline.
    3. Same as before.

ReputationRep:
    1. Yes, 30/11/10 at Trafalgar square and 9/12/10 at Parliament square

2. I actually had sympathy towards the police because of what I had seen on the news and in the newspapers, also by the way many of the protesters had acted on the protest's before.

3. All changed after actually being to the protest's. On the protest on the 9th,protesters who were there were struck by police riot shields and baton's including myself who were peacefully protesting. They had no sympathy for any of the people they hit and it was obvious they had no plan for anything they did. They over-used their equipment quite a lot actually. And to top it all of we were left kettled in parliament square until 9pm and then on Westminster bridge until 11:30pm without any food or water in freezing temperatures.
    I don't hate the police I just dis-like and disapprove of them for what they did on that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    1. Did you attend any student protests and if so, which one(s)?

Yes, the protest where the police put a police riot van in the crowd on purpose to make students look bad, when it was clearly an act of provocativeness.

2. What were your attitudes towards the police before the protests?

I highly respected them and at one point was thinking about joining them. I thought the job they did was superb and they should be respected.

3. What are your attitudes towards the police after the protests?
    Absolutely disgraced by their actions towards students and how they continued to brand every student as a yob or thug which is an absurd generalisation. Their technique of kettling was crazy and they also showed a lack of intelligence as they wondered why kettling made people angry - I think its a bit obvious people are going to get angry if they are being contained, pushed, forced against one another and possibly crushed.

The charging on the horses was absurd and led to more students retaliating by throwing things in order to defend themselves.

They showed severe police brutality with the events of the students being hit in the head with a baton and the protester being dragged out a wheelchair. They also failed to realise a lot of those who turned up to protest were in fact 15-17 year olds - not adults. The police also had riot shields capable of taking machine gun bullets yet still continued to attack students who never had any weapon of such calibre so the police could have defended themselves without attacking back quite easily.

I am actually so disgraced by them I can't believe I ever considered joining the force as now it has come clear to me that they are nothing more than a government funded legalised gang that defend parliament rather than the public who pay their wages.

They have also showed how they can manipulate the media as all through the news their has been reports on the students actions yet hardly anything about the 2 serious incidents concerning police brutality - it seems to be swept under the rug as if it never happened which is shocking considering the one student could have been brain damaged for the rest of his life.

Anyway, karma is a ***** and when the police face cuts and job losses and start to riot they'll realise that when the government call in the TA's to put them in their place. Then the police will be in a worse position than students as students will be in education whilst the ex policemen/women will be walking to the back of the dole queue - then they'll realise how much of a ***** karma is.

ReputationRep:
    1. Yep, 9.12.10 aka Day X

2. I respected the police, I couldn't understand why people hated them so much. Whenever I discussed the issue with people I always backed the police, they're just doing they're job, they also have children who will be affected by the fee increase etc.

3. Boy has it changed! I couldn't believe how brutal they were! I saw a girl coming out of the crowd with blood coming out of her mouth, I went up to her to see if she was okay, turned out a policeMAN had punched her in the face! Saw at least two people with cuts to the head. When they charged at us on their horses one of them hit my friend with their truncheon and broke his arm. Yet you will never hear any of these stories in the media.

Not to mention the kettling! My friend and I were waiting to leave, we even got in a queue, only to find when we got to the front that they were now letting people go through the westminster exit. My friend and I then went over to the Westminster exit and asked if we could leave, explaining the police had said at the other exit they were now opening this exit and the policeman just looked at us blankly and said nope we haven't heard anything. The organisation was terrible. Then we finally got onto Westminster Bridge for them to hold us there for a good 45mins to an hour and not told why we can't go. We were perfectly peaceful and waited, we even joked we were going to miss eastenders and misfits. It was no wonder people started pushing and of course the shouts of "GET BACK!" started again. I ended up getting hit with a riot shield on the bridge because I was near the front. But it all could have been avoided. By the end of the day I was joining in the chants of "there's a strong smell of bacon in the air."

ReputationRep:
    1.Yep - 9th december.
    2.Institutionally racist
    3.Not racist. They beat up white people just as badly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.