Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it was socially acceptable to spit chewing gum into a toilet and flush it down?
    Is it environmentally friendly?
    cheers peeps

ReputationRep:
    No, it will clog the pipes up and someone will have to clean it out. Just put it in the bin.

Edit: Why the neg rep I'm being realistic, would you want me to just say noo noo it's fine, throw away money hiring a plumber to repair your system...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, i've lost a few friends when they found out i've been doing it.

ReputationRep:
    It's morally wrong. Don't do it. Swallow your gum instead.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't stop being friends with someone for doing it but I don't understand why you can't just put it in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably the least important matter I can possibly think of...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EKR93)
    No, it will clog the pipes up and someone will have to clean it out. Just put it in the bin.

Edit: Why the neg rep I'm being realistic, would you want me to just say noo noo it's fine, throw away money hiring a plumber to repair your system...
    really?! surely worse stuff goes down all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Silk Cobra)
    really?! surely worse stuff goes down all the time?
    Yeah but it's not ideal putting gum there in case it gets stuck :P

ReputationRep:
    think about it again

ReputationRep:
    I don't think socially acceptable applies in this situation, assuming you don't go around gloating to everybody what you just did in the school toilet. And it wasn't a girl either.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes one day a giant fist will come flying out and knock you out

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how if you're in an area that has access to a toilet, it would not be at all possible to stick on the safe side and put it in the bin that's bound to be nearby.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, i am trying to have a mature and serious discussion here.
    Don't ruin it with "humorous" remarks please.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Silk Cobra)
    Don't ruin it with "humorous" remarks please
    It's the toilet monster and he's here for revenge!!

ReputationRep:
    Not really a big moral debate but..
    I guess its more sensible to find a bin. Can't be good for the plumbing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, only biodegradable items should be flushed down the toilet, and chewing gum is not biodegradable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's "socially unacceptable", but then again I don't think your toilet would be too impressed, either!

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're getting entire packs down the toilet daily it's not going to do **** all, no one cares. This is retarded, as are those that think they'll somehow clog the toilet.

Goddamnit.

ReputationRep:
    Well I hear that friendships have been destroyed because of this, relationships annihilated and in extreme cases, wars have been caused by people spittin' gum down the toilet

don't even get me started on the U-bend raids.
    in short - don't do it. You never know who might be inspecting your u-bend next time!

use the bin!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.