Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do any boys here do a language at A level? which one? and are there many boys in your class?
    it seems that most people who do language a levels are female. my spanish a level class is 21 girls and 0 boys! not that i'm complaining! i'm just wondering if there are many boys out there who do language a levels?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do one at Uni...

ReputationRep:
    There's only one guy in my A-Level French class, and seven girls. He's by far the best at French though, and the German class is all boys.

ReputationRep:
    I did German and Spanish last year. In my Spanish class there were 3 boys and about 15 girls. Girls sometimes choose it because they like Spain, though, and give little regard to actually speaking Spanish. Our German class was about split down the middle- not many girls want to speak German!

ReputationRep:
    Both my French and German classes last year were split 50/50.

ReputationRep:
    As previous posters have said, it is dependent on the language. In Britain we associate France with fashion and food and style, and some girls think it is a sexy language, so girls study French. We associate German with cars and engineering, and it sounds strong and guttural, so boys study German. We associate Japanese with computer games and anime, so Japanese is heavily male-dominated, though maybe not as much as German. We associate Spain with...actually I've no idea. Spanish men? For some reason it seems like 50% of the female population of England wants to learn Spanish. Actually, why is it that so many girls want to learn Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    As previous posters have said, it is dependent on the language. In Britain we associate France with fashion and food and style, and some girls think it is a sexy language, so girls study French. We associate German with cars and engineering, and it sounds strong and guttural, so boys study German. We associate Japanese with computer games and anime, so Japanese is heavily male-dominated, though maybe not as much as German. We associate Spain with...actually I've no idea. Spanish men? For some reason it seems like 50% of the female population of England wants to learn Spanish. Actually, why is it that so many girls want to learn Spanish?
    Spanish men(AND women), tapas, siesta, fiesta, beach, lifestyle, sunshine, warm weather, standard of living, football? 'Nuff said

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing IB Higher German. I'm the only boy out of a class of 5 (there used to be 2, but the other dude got kicked out of school )

I know that IB Standard German and A-Level German at my school is actually pretty male dominated, as are, surprisingly, the majority of the French classes.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. There is one other in my class, and he's gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    I know what you mean. There is one other in my class, and he's gay.
    Why is that relevant?

ReputationRep:
    In my A-level German class there were 2 girls and 1 boy (and he was a native speaker!), in uni German it seems to be an even split, and French at uni there is probably about 40% are boys from a class of 25 :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It always seems to be a less boy-friendly environment for some strange reason. In my A-level Spanish class, I was the only boy. In Uni, it's slightly more even...but girls still outnumber us. In Italian I'm one of three guys in the ab initio classes, and in Catalan one of five. It's really strange. I guess most guys are more into their sciences and hands-on stuff, and we're just the ones who get all gooey over words and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    In my French A-level class it was fairly evenly split about 6-6 although this reduced to only about 3 guys after some dropped out. At Oxford interviews last week, of the maybe 30 people (very vague guestimate) applying for languages, there were maybe 6 or 7 guys I think. At Exeter open day last year, there were only 2 guys of the 30 odd going for French. But after going to an all-boys school, it's a nice change!

ReputationRep:
    It's because it's a namby-pamby subject. I should know, I study one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only guy in my French class of 7... And was the only guy in my class of 11 last year. And the year before that, was the only guy in my GCSE class of about 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    It always seems to be a less boy-friendly environment for some strange reason. In my A-level Spanish class, I was the only boy. In Uni, it's slightly more even...but girls still outnumber us. In Italian I'm one of three guys in the ab initio classes, and in Catalan one of five. It's really strange. I guess most guys are more into their sciences and hands-on stuff, and we're just the ones who get all gooey over words and stuff?
    Gooey? ;D
    • PS Helper

In my A-level French class there were only 2 guys in a class of ~20 (me being one of them of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alouette!)
    Gooey? ;D
    Oh.

Just me then. Words words words. The simple differences between the French trouver, the Occitan/Catalan trobar, and the Italian trovare...when compared to the Portuguese and Spanish achar and hallar. :coma: Yes, I'm this much of a language nerd.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the language. Romance languages are usually dominated by girls, whereas boys are a lot more common in other subjects. I think my friend told me her Russian and German classes are 60-40 girls to boys, whereas in the Romance departments it's more like 75-25.

I'm not sure if it's because maybe boys and girls have different strengths so different languages appeal- non-Romance languages tend to have more complicated grammar styles and rules which boys tend to be better at, whereas Romance languages tend to be more lyrical and getting meaning across relies more on inference and pronunciation. I think I'd read somewhere that boys are better at logical things like grammar, whereas girls tend to be better at communication and inference.

Aside from what I said above, it could simply be to do with the perceptions of the languages involved. Germany and Russia have a stereotype in popular culture of being aggressive countries, due to their respective histories. Whereas countries like France, Spain and Italy are seen more as cultural centres of art, literature and beautiful buildings, which are typically more feminine areas. On an entirely superficial level, France/Spain/Italy/Portugal are known for their Latin-lover types who are good looking and desperate to sweep a girl off her feet, so maybe that attracts girls, whereas the women of those countries have a stereotype of being hauty, chic and unattainable which puts men off.

ReputationRep:
    currently doing A2 Spanish..about 15 girls, 3 boys in my class.

I took it mainly because the A2 course included a lot of interesting emphasis of history, culture, films, geography of hispanic countries and people, and less on the acutal language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.