Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it true that you are only ever 4 people away from getting in touch with someone famous? According to reports its a Fact. that means someone knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone. I know a few famous people, Rick astley photographer, UB40'S cousin (the 1 who does the drums) And some-one who duets with phil collins. so anyway is it true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    I know a few famous people, Rick astley photographer, UB40'S cousin (the 1 who does the drums) And some-one who duets with phil collins.
    yes very famous

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't find this interesting at all.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmmhmmmmm, I do I do I do-oooooo!

Sorry about that... I got distracted. And yes, I guess so. I can easily link myself to Radiohead via 1 person, so I could go quite far with that.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was six people?

But yes, that does seem to make sense. My uncle personally knows one of the members of the Sugababes, they probably know some people in the music industry who in turn know other people in the music industry... you get the idea. The only instance I could think of where it probably wouldn't work is with people who live in rural areas in weird countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    Probably.

nah I dont...plus it isnt anyone interesting famous anyway...it's not likely that they would know eg. JKRowling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    Probably.

I know mate I don't know why I posted it to be honest. I'm going to do my next one on blowjobs so if you want you can check that out ok? I'm a bit busy at the moment so i'll create the thread in about 10mins, keep a lookout 4 it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Mmmmmhmmmmm, I do I do I do-oooooo!
    I concur :awesome:

Sucks that that show isn't on any more... or if it is, I'm just not looking hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When coming to uni, it was weird how many people I'd add to Facebook who have a mutual friend with me from home/elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I was once a few feet away from Michael McIntyre, for about half a minute, a memory I shamefully enjoy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    UB40'S Drummer's cousin is hardly famous however. But I know someone who went to the same private school as Emma Watson and someone who dated one of the guys from Snow Patrol, so i guess its plausible.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it must be true, there is always people who know other people (or even celebrities) that you just didn't know about before. I hate to say it, but it is a small world (cringe). Like a few weeks ago i found out that my second uncle has worked with Annie Lennox and Eurythmics for years!

ReputationRep:
    I'm best mates with Mickey mouse...... Ahh good times

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that on average two random Brittish people of the same age are sixth cousins (does not apply to immigrants ofc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Papillon)
    Yes it must be true, there is always people who know other people (or even celebrities) that you just didn't know about before. I hate to say it, but it is a small world (cringe). Like a few weeks ago i found out that my second uncle has worked with Annie Lennox and Eurythmics for years!
    hey you live on the moon? are humans mining the moon for resources for the earth?

ReputationRep:
    A rivetting thought.

is it true that you are only ever 4 people away from getting in touch with someone famous? According to reports its a Fact. that means someone knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone. I know a few famous people, Rick astley photographer, UB40'S cousin (the 1 who does the drums) And some-one who duets with phil collins. so anyway is it true?
      To be specific, the Small World Problem says that you are never more than six people away from any other person in the world.

My own examples would be:

• George Formby; my gran met him at the a local screening of No Limit. Also, I know his niece.
      • Violet Carson (Ena Shraples); my dad met her in the early 1960s at a fayre.
      • Ken Dodd; a friend at the Legion knows him from the Magic Circle, another friend was introduced to show-business by him, and my gran met him in the 1970s or so.
      • George Hamilton IV (singer); mum went out for a meal with him a few times.

That's all I can remember right now, but I think there's more. I know that I know other people myself, but they're not fantastically famous (they're there, but you'll have to find them, sort of thing).

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, probably. I don't care that much tbh.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      To be specific, the Small World Problem says that you are never more than six people away from any other person in the world.

My own examples would be:

• George Formby; my gran met him at the a local screening of No Limit. Also, I know his niece.
      • Violet Carson (Ena Shraples); my dad met her in the early 1960s at a fayre.
      • Ken Dodd; a friend at the Legion knows him from the Magic Circle, another friend was introduced to show-business by him, and my gran met him in the 1970s or so.
      • George Hamilton IV (singer); mum went out for a meal with him a few times.

That's all I can remember right now, but I think there's more. I know that I know other people myself, but they're not fantastically famous (they're there, but you'll have to find them, sort of thing).
      Hey one of my Mum's best friends is Ken Dodd's neice. I personally don't like ken dodd look's a bit creepy

Hey one of my Mum's best friends is Ken Dodd's neice. I personally don't like ken dodd look's a bit creepy
        You don't like him because he looks a bit creepy? In that case, I don't want to know what you think of me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.