Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting quoted £3000+ everywhere... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and passed my test last week, been ringing up all the usual names (Churchill, Direct Line, Tesco, Endsleigh). Direct Line won't even give me a quote as it's going to cost more than £3000 and Endsleigh quoted me £9000. :eek: It's only a 1.2 fiesta and some of my friends seem to be getting about £1500/£1800 with the same companies.

This is with my dad (highest possible no claims) as an additional driver and without pass plus. Is there anything else I can do to get it down cheaper? Don't want to pay any more than £2000 tbh.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Pass Plus barely makes any difference. Try looking on gocompare or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chestercityfan)
    Pass Plus barely makes any difference. Try looking on gocompare or something.
    Pass Plus reduced my insurance by 20% a year (with Tesco), which is a pretty signifcant difference when your premiums are well over £1000.

Moneysupermarket/comparethemarket/gocompare/confused.com etc should give you an idea of the cheapest companies. Then you could try phoning them directly to see if they can do a better deal.

ReputationRep:
    The companies I was with when I was young were: Virgin, Asda, Churchill, Endsleigh. But I recommend trying price comparing websites if you're not having any luck.

Also, is that for fully comp or tpft? You might want to consider going third party to save money if your car isn't brand new etc. xx

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      Pass Plus reduced my insurance by 20% a year (with Tesco), which is a pretty signifcant difference when your premiums are well over £1000.
      When was that? Just about all insurers don't accept it these days, or if they do it doesn't reduce the price by much so you're still losing out by paying for the tuition.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      When was that? Just about all insurers don't accept it these days, or if they do it doesn't reduce the price by much so you're still losing out by paying for the tuition.
      Took it in 2008. Didn't know they don't really care about it any more, though it makes sense I guess, since the idea that you're a significantly better driver after taking it is bit of a joke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      This is what i've found. My boyfriend had his insurance drop significantly when he did pass plus. This was 5 years ago. I passed a couple of months back and adding that on didn't lower my quote by much or at all.

My insurance is only third party (ft) but funnily enough adding both my parents as named drivers on my policy brought it down a few hundred quid.

ReputationRep:
      Your dad's no claims makes little to no difference wrt to your quote, as it's not transferred to your policy. Try adding your mum to the policy, adjust your annual mileage downwards, say it's parked in a garage [only if you have access to one, though].

ReputationRep:
      That must have been fully comp? Maybe just opt for third party fire and theft, as claiming on fully comp in your first couple years of driving will seriously jack it up, so it probably wouldn't even be an option... if that makes sense??

Use compare websites - most can provide cheaper deals then going direct to the insurance company as they buy in bulk and drop the price. Obviously check these quotes compared to going direct to the insurers and with other comparison websites (they all have different details).

Best insurance companies for young people atm are Admiral and Elephant.

Does your dad have motoring convictions or points? If so, take him off and add your mum or another older female as a named driver. In fact, do that anyway.

ReputationRep:
      When I passed my test I was 20 and got a new 1.6 mini cooper, I had the same problem, I eventually found a company called bell and managed to get a quote for around £1750 I think it was. It was only for 10 months though but that was enough to get me a no claims bonus and bump my premium down a bit. I don't know if they're still good value but it's worth a look.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      The only real way to get it cheaper is either by a) going on a comparison website, or b) putting your dad down as first driver.

(Original post by RNBen)
        The only real way to get it cheaper is either by a) going on a comparison website, or b) putting your dad down as first driver.
        a) phoning up companies themselves (or using their website) is often a better way as they don't all use the same criteria as the comparison sites

b) illegal, and if the insurers find out that the OP is the main driver he will have zero cover. Might as well drive around uninsured.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        a) phoning up companies themselves (or using their website) is often a better way as they don't all use the same criteria as the comparison sites

b) illegal, and if the insurers find out that the OP is the main driver he will have zero cover. Might as well drive around uninsured.
        a) Possibly, but a lot of online companies offer a 10% discount.

b) Not illegal at all, his dad as first driver and him as second driver....? I know a number of people who do that. How would an insurance company find out? It would be their word against his.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RNBen)
        b) Not illegal at all, his dad as first driver and him as second driver....? I know a number of people who do that. How would an insurance company find out? It would be their word against his.
        It's insurance fraud if you are the main driver and put someone else down as the main drive on your policy. xx

(Original post by RNBen)
          Because when he claims and he says "I was travelling to work/college" and if he has any kind of Halfrauds things attached to it, and they find out his dad has access to another car, they're going to know he's the actual main driver. Insurance companies aren't stupid. I think you will find it is very much illegal as you are not insured subject to the terms you agree with the insurer, so you're driving whilst uninsured.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by blinkbelle)
          It's insurance fraud if you are the main driver and put someone else down as the main drive on your policy. xx
          Not being funny or anything, but so what? If, for example, I had my mum down as main driver and got pulled over and questioned by the police, I would merely state that I am the second driver and was using the car to go to the shops, or anywhere else for that matter. They would check the insurance, see that I was named as second driver, then be on their way.

(Original post by FXX)
          Because when he claims and he says "I was travelling to work/college" and if he has any kind of Halfrauds things attached to it, and they find out his dad has access to another car, they're going to know he's the actual main driver. Insurance companies aren't stupid. I think you will find it is very much illegal as you are not insured subject to the terms you agree with the insurer, so you're driving whilst uninsured.
          Why would it matter though? For example, I am first driver and owner of my car. However, I am named as a second driver on my fathers car, whom, in turn is insured as a main driver on 2 of the cars in the house, with them both being company cars. If, I was driving company car A and got pulled over then my father would still have access to another car. This is not in any way insurance fraud. It is merely the way the real World works.

(Original post by RNBen)
            Not being funny or anything, but so what? If, for example, I had my mum down as main driver and got pulled over and questioned by the police, I would merely state that I am the second driver and was using the car to go to the shops, or anywhere else for that matter. They would check the insurance, see that I was named as second driver, then be on their way.
            Well yes, it's a risk you can take if you want. However, if you are found out, you get lots of points on your license (which will disqualify you from driving if it's in the first 2 years), I believe a criminal record, and you'll find it impossible to get insurance again after completing the extended test.
            • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by FXX)
            Well yes, it's a risk you can take if you want. However, if you are found out, you get lots of points on your license (which will disqualify you from driving if it's in the first 2 years), I believe a criminal record, and you'll find it impossible to get insurance again after completing the extended test.
            Please see above post for a scenario (I edited the initial post).

(Original post by RNBen)
              Please see above post for a scenario (I edited the initial post).
              Scenarios are brilliant, but in this situation the OP would be the main driver but listed as a named driver, which isn't legal. Just have to let the OP know the risks. Fronting is an option, but you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences if you are found out. Lying to the police/insurance companies will just you into deeper trouble if you can't carry the story. And you also have to remember if you do claim, you lose your parents NCB for them.

ReputationRep:
              Try some comparison sites, otherwise you need to speak to your dad and get him to insure it and put you as a named driver.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.