Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is long and insignificant, i just don't really want to discuss it with anyone I actually know.

So I went to the store today and was looking around. One of the shop assistants came up to me to ask if I needed any help or was looking for anything in particular:

Me: No thanks, I found what I’m looking for just thinking about whither to buy it or not.

Shop assistant: Don’t think, it’s not good to think you know. Do you know that?

Me: Ignore/ forced smile

Shop Assistant: Don’t think, just grab

Me; Ignore

Shop assistant: Where are you from? Are you from Somalia?

Me: No

Shop assistant: Are you from Africa?

Me: Yes, but you know Africa is a BIG place?

Shop assistant: Ok are you from Congo?

Me: NO

Shop assistant: Ok that’s all the places I know in Africa

Me: WHAT!! Are you serious? ( I was genuinely shocked)

Shop assistant: Yea I only no two places lol

Me: You need a map, maybe try to start learning different places.

Shop assistant: No can’t be bothered learnt all that stuff at school no point, that
    was when I did geography. Ok are you from Mongola?

Me: You think that’s in Africa?

Shop assistant: Urm, isn’t it?

By this time I had to go, so just kind of walked off I did say bye.
    So I told my friend about this and she wasn’t shocked at all. This guy obviously went thought the education system (he told me). She basically told me I sounded stuck up. I did mention to her that I wanted to print a map and give it to him, as I’m a regular at the store (it’s down the road). She just looked at me with disgust.

So did I over react?

Do I need to recognise that some just don’t have knowledge in areas that I believe are basic, however may have knowledge in other areas?

I mean I didn’t expect him to know which country I originate from, I was just shocked that he only knew two countries in Africa. Also the fact that he was just guessing random places yet appeared to be 100% serious.

ReputationRep:
    How do I edit the title I forgot to put in "I"?

ReputationRep:
    Dont lie to us, she didn't say "lol"

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of this dumb bint:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    I get the same problem. some people are just ignorant. Why did they even need to know where you are from?

ReputationRep:
    haha, some people are just dumb, (including me) and no you didn't sound stuck-up, but you overreacted next time just tell them were you are from instead of letting them guess - this happens to me a lot and your friend sounds like a really stupid person (no offence)

ReputationRep:
    No. Bringing a map into the store to give to him would be really petty though.

Why did he ask where you were from anyway? Even if you had a strong accent which caught his attention, it seems a random question to ask in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    No... I would have told him "you're bloody ignorant" and then walked out without buying anything.

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, a comprehensive understanding of the structure of Africa is not ordinarily a social necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....
    I always say it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    Dont lie to us, she didn't say "lol"
    He never said lol he just laughed

(Original post by Sani-Insanity)
    I get the same problem. some people are just ignorant. Why did they even need to know where you are from?

(Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    No. Bringing a map into the store to give to him would be really petty though.

Why did he ask where you were from anyway? Even if you had a strong accent which caught his attention, it seems a random question to ask in that situation.
    I don't have a accent people always ask me where im from I get it like at least once a week. I thought that was normal. I just wanted to get him a map so he can learn from it . I wont do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I always say it :P
    Done lie to us, its impossible to say "lol" in a natural real life conversation

LOL

ReputationRep:
    This whole thing sounds fabricated. Since when do shop keepers randomly approach you and guess where you're from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    Sorry if this is long and insignificant, i just don't really want to discuss it with anyone I actually know.

So I went to the store today and was looking around. One of the shop assistants came up to me to ask if I needed any help or was looking for anything in particular:

Me: No thanks, I found what I’m looking for just thinking about whither to buy it or not.

Shop assistant: Don’t think, it’s not good to think you know. Do you know that?

Me: Ignore/ forced smile

Shop Assistant: Don’t think, just grab

Me; Ignore

Shop assistant: Where are you from? Are you from Somalia?

Me: No

Shop assistant: Are you from Africa?

Me: Yes, but you know Africa is a BIG place?

Shop assistant: Ok are you from Congo?

Me: NO

Shop assistant: Ok that’s all the places I know in Africa

Me: WHAT!! Are you serious? ( I was genuinely shocked)

Shop assistant: Yea I only no two places lol

Me: You need a map, maybe try to start learning different places.

Shop assistant: No can’t be bothered learnt all that stuff at school no point, that
    was when I did geography. Ok are you from Mongola?

Me: You think that’s in Africa?

Shop assistant: Urm, isn’t it?

By this time I had to go, so just kind of walked off I did say bye.
    So I told my friend about this and she wasn’t shocked at all. This guy obviously went thought the education system (he told me). She basically told me I sounded stuck up. I did mention to her that I wanted to print a map and give it to him, as I’m a regular at the store (it’s down the road). She just looked at me with disgust.

So did I over react?

Do I need to recognise that some just don’t have knowledge in areas that I believe are basic, however may have knowledge in other areas?

I mean I didn’t expect him to know which country I originate from, I was just shocked that he only knew two countries in Africa. Also the fact that he was just guessing random places yet appeared to be 100% serious.
    no you don't sound stuck up but the assistant seems 'special'

ReputationRep:
    Lol if someone said l.o.l. to me in person I'd be sad, cause it means I'm REALLY not funny

ReputationRep:
    The important thing is twice, you rejected his attempts to conversate. He should have picked up on this and went on with his business out of courtesy and general respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    This whole thing sounds fabricated. Since when do shop keepers randomly approach you and guess where you're from?
    I think if you live in the UK and aren't white/English looking, people have the tendency to ask just out of curiosity. Just from my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    You don't you stuck up *****.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately, those people really exist...but i still cant believe you can be so stupid (or rather uneducated)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.