Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm a new member of this forum but I have been around for some time, just reading and seeing what's going on..
    Today I had my first interview in London for Welbeck MOD 6th form college, it went really well but was more of just an informal 'chat' as such. I have my application forms and have been told my formal interview will probably be around February. I really want to be well prepared and know what to expect, so I was hoping somebody on here could help me out and give me some tips.. all I know is current affairs from the past 4 months;
    Also in the new year I'll be visiting Welbeck for a tour and a short interview with either the principal or senior staff, what could I expect from this?
    Thankyou! I want to prepare well, the school looks amazing and I've been told my grades are good enough to make me a viable candidate, so I'm hoping and doing my best!

Hannah;

EDIT: I'm applying through the Army.

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself, i'm sure you will do great.

all the best,

ReputationRep:
    Good luck chap. Be confident and know your stuff, its the way to do!

ReputationRep:
    I just came on here to ask if anyone else was applying I'm applying through the RAF. I've done my formal interview and have been recommended for OASC. Does anyone know if my OASC will be Welbeck candidates only or not?

Good luck in your application, hope to see you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YamahaMX)
    I just came on here to ask if anyone else was applying I'm applying through the RAF. I've done my formal interview and have been recommended for OASC. Does anyone know if my OASC will be Welbeck candidates only or not?

Good luck in your application, hope to see you there

Hiya, I think I have a boy in my year applying through the RAF. Or it could be the Navy, I can't quite remember.. If it's not too much trouble could you please inbox me and tell me a little about the interview process? I know it'll be slightly different because of the different services but still.. Ah I really hope I get it, the school looks incredible!

ReputationRep:
    I happen to have a friend who's in Welbeck, and by the sound of it he's having the time of his life.

It was hard for him to get in, but that's based on the amount of interviews and fitness tests he had more than the tests and interviews themselves.

As it's been said, just keep your head on, know your stuff, and relax, and I'm sure you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YamahaMX)
    I just came on here to ask if anyone else was applying I'm applying through the RAF. I've done my formal interview and have been recommended for OASC.

I'm applying to welbeck through the RAF too

My 'informal chat' is on the 7th of jan and i'm seeing the school on the 15th

i'm not worried about the grades its all the fitness and other tests i'm scared of, so any pointers would be greatly recieved and i hope to see you guys in september

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of you that are applying

I thought about going, but I wasn't ready to make such a big commitment. Now I might apply for direct entry to the DTUS next year.

ReputationRep:
    hey there,
    im applying to welbeck through the army and have my informal interveiw as well as my fitness test at the end of may. Could anyone give me any tips on what exactly i need to be able to do to pass the fitness test? I've been quite lazy recently and now have to go to the gym every day to make up for it Also, what exactly do i need to know for the interveiw? feel free to message me
    thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, when are the fitness tests and what do you have to do? Thank you for any help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also applying for September 11 entry.
    I've currently seen a careers adviser at one of the navy careers office and he's contacting my school for predicted grades.
    Can someone tell me what else i have to do? with exact details of the fitness tests. (I'm trying to get fit)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkcarton101)
    Can someone tell me what else i have to do? with exact details of the fitness tests. (I'm trying to get fit)
    Try the post above yours for a hint. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So do you do your run, press ups and sit ups if you get in, in welbeck haha? and do you know how long after the scruinty board you find out if you got through it? & thanks for the helppp! x

ReputationRep:
    I got my letter through yesterday saying that I'd been accepted for the Welbeck selection (although I went for dual candidate so does that mean that I wasn't accepted for the scholarship also?) so anyway, now I'm bricking it because I'm so unfit! Does anyone know the sort of time we need for the 500m run? Any help for any of the two days would be appreciated, thanks a lot xx

ReputationRep:
    I did the Army Scholarship a couple of years back. My interview was pretty easy - the current affairs stuff was all on the really big obvious things, so that shouldn't be a problem. You might want to practise a bit of mental maths, mainly speed/distance/time type stuff. Also a couple of my friends said they got asked how an engine worked. Thank God I didn't, I have no idea.

Maybe practise some answers on why you want to join, why you deserve a place, that type of thing. It's what you'd expect really. Just make sure you come across as intelligent and really keen. They love you if you're keen.

(Original post by NinaC182)
    I got my letter through yesterday saying that I'd been accepted for the Welbeck selection (although I went for dual candidate so does that mean that I wasn't accepted for the scholarship also?) so anyway, now I'm bricking it because I'm so unfit! Does anyone know the sort of time we need for the 500m run? Any help for any of the two days would be appreciated, thanks a lot xx
    There's no time you need to do the run in, just try and keep up with everyone else. I came last in my group, I was so ****ing embarrassed. I was also crap on the obstacle course, though most people find it OK. You have to wear those awful green coveralls and the crotch of mine was round my knees so I couldn't get my leg over the wall. Jesus. Anyway, yeah, the most important bits are the tests you do on the computer, like the verbal/non verbal/abstract reasoning things. The only reason I got my scholarship was because I did well on those. I was pretty bad everywhere else.
    When they give you your report once they've made their decision, you'll have a "risk". Everyone has a risk, no matter how good they were. I had a "risky personality" (ouch), which apparently meant I wasn't confident enough and was too quiet in the leadership tasks. So try to avoid that. Other people are "physical risks" (too fat or too slow) and others are "intellectual risks" (too thick). So you're basically trying to avoid all that.

Make it sound like you're KEEN! That's majorly important. In the interview they'll ask you why you want to join the army, and that's when you need to say it. Say something gay like "I couldn't imagine anything I'd rather do," before launching into all the advantages like "furthering your education" and "opportunities".

Good luck. Sorry this is pretty rambling. If you want to ask any questions feel free to PM me.

Also - and I probably don't need to say this, but... - make sure you're really certain this is what you want. I thought I did, now I've changed my mind and I'm tied to the army for four years of my life because I can't pay the money back.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else visiting Welbeck tomorrow? I'm so excited! Also, if any of you guys live near London or in Hertfordshire, maybe we could train together or something, I'm pretty fit but freaking out over fitness selection.. It's such an amazing opportunity though

ReputationRep:
    Also, thank you everyone for your advice; I don't get on here much but please email me if you think of anything else, I'm so grateful to all of you

ReputationRep:
    Hey Hannah, how was the visit? I'm going up on the 2nd March... Leaving it late! Just wondering, what are you dates of selection? (Or anyone elses?) Mine are the 7th and 8th, would be nice to know someone before I get there! Haha, hope all goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Hey Hannah I went up to Welbeck on the 2nd February too... if you can remember me I was the guy wearing a stripy red a grey jumper who came into the presentation late... anyway I went to my AFCO last Thursday and handed in all those application forms... had a kind of interview where I talked about my Background, Leadership qualities, Naval knowledge that kind of thing, I have the Recruitment test this Wednesday... does that come with another interview?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going up on the 2nd of March haha !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.