Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone with experience/knowledge of 2005 Peugeot 206 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Having had a 106 and knowing my next car would be a 206 I did research so when I bought 'Toby' I knew he would need a few things done at his age and negotiated a good price. Next week will be very expensive as he needs an MOT, Service and of course cambelt replacement, but what else should I do at 5years/29k for a simple 1.1?

Water pump? Lower belt pully? are these just things that would be done on say a HDi version?

If you have experience of the above how much did it cost you? at a dealership or local garage?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked the servicing routine to make sure that the cam belt needs changing? 29k is low mileage for a cam belt on anything other than an Alfa although the age isn't far off. If it does need doing, get the tensioners done as well, and the water pump if it's cheap, but as the mileages is low I wouldn't bother if it's going to be more than £40 or £50. I think my brother's cam belt was about £200 a year or two ago, but that's the 16V 1.6 which has a more complicated timing system (and is a bugger to change the belt on as the engine mount runs through the middle of it). I think he had tensioners but not the pump done. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much - a 5 year old car isn't old, and 29k is hardly run in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Have you checked the servicing routine to make sure that the cam belt needs changing? 29k is low mileage for a cam belt on anything other than an Alfa although the age isn't far off. If it does need doing, get the tensioners done as well, and the water pump if it's cheap, but as the mileages is low I wouldn't bother if it's going to be more than £40 or £50. I think my brother's cam belt was about £200 a year or two ago, but that's the 16V 1.6 which has a more complicated timing system (and is a bugger to change the belt on as the engine mount runs through the middle of it). I think he had tensioners but not the pump done. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much - a 5 year old car isn't old, and 29k is hardly run in!
    I know that some people might leave it but it is supposed to be 60,000 miles or 5 years and think what it would be like if it blew! I got him at a good price knowing Id have to do the cam belt and as you can never be too sure about the history of the car even with checks before purchase it just seems right to do it asap.

I have looked at everything and there's no mention of a cam belt, Ill try and have a look again this weekend but I know Ive checked and would think that if there were any items that might be it Id remember...i hope. Ill ask about the tensioners and water pump, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Would get your hydraulic fluids changed and have the aircon serviced if fitted.
    Would also be worth changing the fuel filter too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Would get your hydraulic fluids changed and have the aircon serviced if fitted.
    Would also be worth changing the fuel filter too.
    No aircon, and really all that stuff? What could wait or is easiest to change with the cam belt? i assume things like the fuel filter are expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    No aircon, and really all that stuff? What could wait or is easiest to change with the cam belt? i assume things like the fuel filter are expensive.
    Brake / Clutch fluid is pretty easy to change. Shouldnt take more than 40 mins and a bottle of fluid is only around £8 even the "good" stuff.
    Fuel filter shouldnt cost more than a tenner for a canister type and (assuming its easy access) shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to change.

Both of these should be covered in what main stealers call a "major service" anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Brake / Clutch fluid is pretty easy to change. Shouldnt take more than 40 mins and a bottle of fluid is only around £8 even the "good" stuff.
    Fuel filter shouldnt cost more than a tenner for a canister type and (assuming its easy access) shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to change.

Both of these should be covered in what main stealers call a "major service" anyway.
    So why would I need to get it done when its going in for a service anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    So why would I need to get it done when its going in for a service anyway?
    Most manufactures have 3 types of "service" each with different parts being replaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Most manufactures have 3 types of "service" each with different parts being replaced.
    Im not going to a dealership so guess i should request it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.