Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pork Pies - Jelly or No Jelly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I always scrape it off but what do other people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Why would you do that? Its the part with the most flavour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Sacrilege! The entire pie is divine.

mmmmm... :drool:

ReputationRep:
    What does a pork pie and a pensioners fanny have in common? First you bite off the crust, then lick out the jelly until you reach the meat.

ReputationRep:
    I love the jelly! It wouldn't be the same without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniseed)
    I love the jelly! It wouldn't be the same without it.
    This! My dad always buys really cheap pork pies and they never have enough jelly

ReputationRep:
    I used to love pork pie when I was really little, but I have since developed some kind of 'phobia' about the jelly inside of them and, so, don't eat them anymore... I can't even be around other people eating pork pie now, 'cause it makes me feel like I'm gonna throw up... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    What does a pork pie and a pensioners fanny have in common? First you bite off the crust, then lick out the jelly until you reach the meat.
    WTF!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    This! My dad always buys really cheap pork pies and they never have enough jelly
    Eurgh Cheap pork pies are a no! Not that the meat in them are good quality or anything but still gotta have a bit of taste and jelly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yhy92)
    WTF!!!
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    :|

what even is the jelly in a pork pie? don't think i've ever had a genuine one before

ReputationRep:
    When I was little I thought the best bit was the jelly, but not any more. It's horrible. I always scrape it off. In my mind, jelly should be sweet, not savoury.

ReputationRep:
    No jelly! It makes me feel ill. Ugh! Slimy, disgusting substance.

But now I'm craving pork pie.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely with the jelly.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to try this, but the beef one. Is there a beef pie? or just pork pie?

ReputationRep:
    No Jelly. Although the quality of the meat and texture is worse I buy cheaper ones to avoid the jelly. There's these mini mowbray ones(4 pack), they're pretty awesome and no jelly.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm, the jelly is awesome!

That's ****ing disgusting. :no:

ReputationRep:
    I love the jelly. As long as it's not excessive. :sogood:

The preparation of pork jelly includes placing lean pork meat, trotters, rind, ears and snout in a pot of cold water, and letting it cook over a slow fire for three hours. The broth is allowed to cool, while also removing any undesirable fat. Subsequently, white vinegar and the juice of half an orange or lemon can be added to the meat so that it is covered. The entire mixture is then allowed to cool. Bay leaves or chili can be added to the broth for added taste (the Romanian variety is based on garlic and includes no vinegar, orange, lemon, chili, bay leaves, etc.). However, there are many alternate ways of preparing pork jelly, such as the usage of celery, beef and even pig bones. Poultry jellies are made the same way as making pork jelly, but require less water to boil.
    Delicious.

(Original post by theths)
      :|

what even is the jelly in a pork pie? don't think i've ever had a genuine one before
      It's aspic, which is what falls to the bottom of the fat when the fat's rendered into lard. The aspic's not fat, it's just gelatin and tasty pork goodness

ReputationRep:
      Jelly, but not so much that it's an anti-climax biting into it to find that there's barely any meat..

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.