Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does TV ruin family relationships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And moreover, does it affect the upbringing of children?

ReputationRep:
    There are a number of reasons for the breakdown of the traditional family set up, for exmaple

people not having kids
    work demands mean parents are not home as much as before
    the availability of convencience food meaning families dont have to cook set meals
    the internet and other social activities

About 15-20 years ago, TV was seen as something that was harming family life, however at least some families would have a meal together in front of the TV

Nowadays I think advocates of family life would love to go back to that time.

One of the main things about TV was that it kept children away from their parents and broke down a lot of family time. These days there are so many more factors which are causing family life to breakdown, and in turn probably affecting upbringings.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think the TV is a lifesaver.. single Mums wouldn't be able to get everything done without C Beebies to babysit! I'm gonna find that one out the hard way soon enough..!

ReputationRep:
    TV brings my family together sorta like on the simpsons xD nah but still it's good thing Though todays programmes might be a bit bad for our society and brainwash people into something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I think the ****ey cartoons we have these days melt the brains of the young.
    I agree with what I've seen at least

ReputationRep:
    Too many parents rely on the tv IMO - some of them are happy to just plonk their kids down in front of it all day. Kids need to learn social, play and communication skills, and there are better ways to do this than a tv.

This story is extreme but this is what can happen when kids watch too much tv:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/80...k-obsessed-boy

ReputationRep:
    TV is generally good if not watched too much

ReputationRep:
    Only when a sex scene comes on and you had to sit there embarrassed next to your parents

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.