Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How much do private teacher's earn and does anyone know a route to teaching in a private school.
    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Teaching at a private school - earnings will vary cos they aren't set like they are in state schools. As for how you get a job in one - you apply for schools. Some will advertise in the TES, others may be in local or national newspapers for example - loads of ways to find out. Be warned tho - if you do your NQT in one, it MAY be more difficult to move into mainstream later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STAR A)
    How much do private teacher's earn and does anyone know a route to teaching in a private school.
    Thank you
    As mentioned above, earnings will vary. In the very top central London schools you could be looking at starting on up to £36,000 but this is very high. Most very good schools may be around 2 or 3k above state but run of the mill private won't necessarily be any higher than state.

As for routes in, you have all the usual options of doing PGCE, GTP etc. but the bonus option of going straight in without a qualification. How reasonable this is will depend on your subject, qualifications, what school you are applying to etc.

I took this route but I am a maths teacher (shortage!) with an Oxbridge degree at a school with a reputation of taking people in this situation.
    That's not to say it needs to be like that, but there were a lot of things in my favour that I think helped make up for the lack of qualification.

Be aware that this route isn't easy though! While PGCE'ers are complaining about their workload whilst teaching about 8 lessons a week after plenty of training, you'll be jumping in to a full timetable without constant supervision and together with all the marking, report writing etc. If you are prepared and want to do it then great, just don't go into it with your eyes closed :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.