Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pay Monthly Car Insurance Watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who would be nice enough to recommend a car insurance company than allows you to pay every month as opposed to one annual lump payment? It's just that I was planning on going on my parents' policy, but since I will only be driving for 4-6 months, there is really no point of me paying £1000. I would much rather pay for the months I need it, like go on my parents' policy, pay a bit more for those months, then it would revert back to the original price if I tell them I am not using the car. I found this site called Coverbox, a PAY-As-YOU-GO company, but I'm not sure about it.

And before anyone trolls and tell me to do my own research... I have. It's actually stressing me out more than the mounds of coursework I have piling up

ReputationRep:
    Subscribed

ReputationRep:
    My last policy was with Swift and that was a monthly payment, and a couple of years ago the same was done with the AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Is there anyone who would be nice enough to recommend a car insurance company than allows you to pay every month as opposed to one annual lump payment? It's just that I was planning on going on my parents' policy, but since I will only be driving for 4-6 months, there is really no point of me paying £1000. I would much rather pay for the months I need it, like go on my parents' policy, pay a bit more for those months, then it would revert back to the original price if I tell them I am not using the car. I found this site called Coverbox, a PAY-As-YOU-GO company, but I'm not sure about it.

And before anyone trolls and tell me to do my own research... I have. It's actually stressing me out more than the mounds of coursework I have piling up
    I know Tesco defffinately do monthly payments.
    Actually i think most companies do (may be wrong though).

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that you want to take out a separate policy for the times you drive your parent's care on a monthly basis?

Things to take into account:

Depending on group of car, insurers may not insure you in your own name on that vehicle;
    You will not have any bonus so premium will be high;
    Best solution is to be added as a temporary additional driver to their policy for when you will be driving and then get taken off when you go back to Uni. However depending on who their insurer is, you may incur amendment charges plus additional premium each time, which might make this a costly option.

My insurers charge c£1 per day to add my daughter to my policy on this basis.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I know Tesco defffinately do monthly payments.
    Actually i think most companies do (may be wrong though).
    Most do monthly payments, but it's not like a "add a driver for a few months" thing, it's contributing to the end price.

(Original post by Someone's mum)
    Are you saying that you want to take out a separate policy for the times you drive your parent's care on a monthly basis?

Things to take into account:

Depending on group of car, insurers may not insure you in your own name on that vehicle;
    You will not have any bonus so premium will be high;
    Best solution is to be added as a temporary additional driver to their policy for when you will be driving and then get taken off when you go back to Uni. However depending on who their insurer is, you may incur amendment charges plus additional premium each time, which might make this a costly option.

My insurers charge c£1 per day to add my daughter to my policy on this basis.
    That is what I meant. Can I ask what insurer you are with?

ReputationRep:
    We are with an insurer via a broker, as they do not sell directly to the public.

Your mum (as the policyholder) needs to contact her insurer and ask the question - can I add my daughter to my policy on a temporary basis whilst she is home from Uni and what will the cost be just for that period of time? Can I do this each time she comes home from Uni?

Things to beware of are the aggregation of periods when you may be added to the policy as insurers could view you as the main driver which would make the cost very expensive. They may not be prepared to cover you - depends on type/group of vehicle. If you have an accident whilst you are driving, your mum's bonus may be reduced. There will also be an increase in excess if the policy is comprehensive as you will be subject to any excesses that your mum has under the policy - complusory and volunatry - plus any young driver excess applied by the insurers.

Your mum should speak to a broker and find out what they recommend really - it may just work out cheaper for you to buy cover on an ad hoc monthly basis in your own name - however as you are a young driver the insurance will not be cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at coverbox too. I am planning to go with eCar. You may for one month, and keep renewing until you want to stop. So I'll have three months worth for the summer, leave it while I'm at uni, then when I pop back at christmas I can just pay for another month. No deposit required too, which is good.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be with coverbox, they were very good, fitted a tracker in my car free, monitored my mileage, that was it. and i stated how many miles i'd drive a year and my insurance was based on that, i was a male at 17, Audi A3 1.6 engine £2000 a year.

people get scared away thinking they track your every move with the tracker they install, when they dont...

ReputationRep:
    you could just buy a 12-month policy, choose to pay monthly and cancel is after 6 monthas. there is usually a smallish fee (£20) but it should work out pretty cheaply
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    This thread is dead. I've already got insurance - I just went on my parents policy and when I go off to uni, they'll take me off it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.