Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What Grades have people got who have got in to Oxford (engineering)? If I got 6a*s and 5As would I stand a chance of getting in?

ReputationRep:
    You know there's a search button at your top right corner, right? Use it

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for that incredibly insightful and useful statement , I would never have thought to have done that first without your infinitely superior intellect!

ReputationRep:
    Your A-levels make a world of a difference (I'm assuming these are your GCSEs)
    After all, I got 9A*s in my iGCSEs, and then 3As 1B in my A/S and didn't get an interview (and in retrospect, I don't think I deserved one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wcp100)
    What Grades have people got who have got in to Oxford (engineering)? If I got 6a*s and 5As would I stand a chance of getting in?
    Na, there's a cut-off at 7A*. Anything less leads to an automatic rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Does the GCSE really matter? I have never seen any requirement on GCSE grades in OxBridge official websites!?

ReputationRep:
    I got 8A*s and 3As, I don't think there is a cut off it isn't like LSE for economics. unamed is right, AS levels are definitely more important. As long as they aren't terrible and you get A*s in maths and sciences you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I got 10 A*s and 1 A at IGCSE and got an offer. 6 A*s and 5 As is fine - just make sure that you AS grades and A2 predictions are strong (i.e. A*s) as these are much more important. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for that incredibly insightful and useful statement , I would never have thought to have done that first without your infinitely superior intellect!
    Firstly fantastic sarcastic response, made me laugh a lot.

Well I can only think speak for Cambridge but I got an interview with AABB at AS (Maths, Physics, Further, Chem) with GCSE grades A*AAAAAABBBBB and I got an interview, so far your doing better than me so you may as well go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview with 5As 3Bs C D at gcse and 4As at A-level. I think the Interview is the main selection criteria providing you meet their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    If you have some decent work experience, or can talk about some courses you have attended in your personal statement, or have done the EES, then this probably counts for a fair bit more than grades tbh. Otherwise, I would have been an instant rejection
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I had 5A*, 4As, 3Bs at GCSE.
    4As and a B at AS
    and 2A*s and 3A prediction for A2 (which I met)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot , I might concider applying then , what work experience have people got ? I was thinking of things that would make my application look unique e.g. faraday member of the royal institute , sailing and resucue assisstant?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot , I might concider applying then , what work experience have people got ? I was thinking of things that would make my application look unique e.g. faraday member of the royal institute , sailing and resucue assisstant?
    Personally I had EES project, one week of work experience, sailing instructor, represented england at orienteering, and a few science and engineering comps entered, limited success.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this is a bit late!

I've got an open offer to do engineering from Oxford - I got 9 1/2 A*s, 1 A, A in Add Maths (a Free-Standing Maths Qualification). I got 5 As at AS.

I have no work experience, but they did ask if I had any in my interview, same as at Warwick, but I've got offers from both, so it's a good thing to get, but it's not essential.

ReputationRep:
    I was told oxford love the Duke of Edinburgh Gol award, but I guess they like silver too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Na, there's a cut-off at 7A*. Anything less leads to an automatic rejection.
    Not true AT ALL! I have 5A*s and I'm in my second year at Oxford for Engineering.

None of this is true guys. They look at a COMBINATION of As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MustafaCaglar)
    Not true AT ALL! I have 5A*s and I'm in my second year at Oxford for Engineering.

None of this is true guys. They look at a COMBINATION of As and A*s.
    Ah hem... sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me as if there is very little agreement as to what the criteria is. I think I will try my best and let the University decide whether I'm good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Ah hem... sarcasm.
    Too subtle for my liking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.