Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

Im applying for uni this year after completing my alevels last year.

Ive applied to:
    1) LSE
    2) SOAS
    3) Queen Mary
    4) City
    5) Manchester

I got:
    A* Law
    A Business
    A Sociology

.. but i hated my english teacher in AS in the final year and didnt submit my coursework and ended up with a C AS English language..

So the question is.. Should i put the C on or not?
    LSE quote they look for good command of english and a C seems a bit crappy, its obvious i have good essay writing skills from my other alevels.

Also i never attended school in my final years and ended up with B english, B science, B additional science and C maths, do you think this will matter? Ive stated on my personal statement that it was due to circumstances beyond my control and obviously my alevels show that i could have accrued better grades given the chance!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waza2010)
    Hello All,

Ive applied to:
    1) LSE
    2) SOAS
    3) Queen Mary
    4) City
    5) Manchester

I got:
    A* Law
    A Business
    A Sociology

.. but i hated my english teacher in AS in the final year and didnt submit my coursework and ended up with a C AS English language..

LSE quote they look for good command of english and a C seems a bit crappy, its obvious i have good essay writing skills from my other alevels.

Also i never attended school in my final years and ended up with B english, B science, B additional science and C maths, do you think this will matter? Ive stated on my personal statement that it was due to circumstances beyond my control and obviously my alevels show that i could have accrued better grades given the chance!

Thanks
    Isn't A Level law LSE's and Manchester's least preferred subject?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...-W-UNI-LAW.PDF

Saying that, I saw someone get an offer from Manchester with A Level law, but not sure about LSE...

Anyways, in my opinion I think the fact you have got the grades LSE look for already would be enough for them? Obviously coupled with good ps, reference etc.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)

Saying that, I saw someone get an offer from Manchester with A Level law, but not sure about LSE...

Anyways, in my opinion I think the fact you have got the grades LSE look for already would be enough for them? Obviously coupled with good ps, reference etc.

Good luck
    Very good point

Im not fussed on manchester, i just couldnt find any more down london which were decent and didnt require the LNAT!

How do i find out if my other subjects are on the preferred subject list? and what do you think about including/excluding my AS English language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)

Good luck
    :ditto:

Subject combinations and 'non-preferred' subjects

The School considers not only the subjects offered by applicants at A level (A2) and AS level, but also the combination of them. The School generally prefers certain subjects because it considers they are more likely to serve as effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions Tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed as 'non-preferred' below only if it is offered in combination with our generally preferred subjects. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example. On the other hand, Mathematics, Accounting and Media Studies would not normally be considered as suitable as this combination includes two subjects on the list below. You should also note that we are less concerned with subject combinations at AS level.

Applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list of subjects that are 'non-preferred.' The list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors:

Accounting
    Art and Design
    Business Studies
    Communication and Culture
    Dance
    Design and Technology
    Drama/Theatre Studies
    Electronics
    Film Studies
    Home Economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Law
    Media Studies
    Music Technology
    Sports Studies
    Travel and Tourism
    Environmental Studies
    An A level (or equivalent) in your first/native language may not be counted.
    http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...uirements.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Very good point

Im not fussed on manchester, i just couldnt find any more down london which were decent and didnt require the LNAT!

How do i find out if my other subjects are on the preferred subject list? and what do you think about including/excluding my AS English language?

Do you really want to go to London? Good luck

I think your other subjects would be fine. I have got Law as an A Level, Psychology and Sociology and these aren't particularly the 'traditional' A Levels but I have received offers from 4 law schools so I'm sure they wouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the C in english language, I wouldn't think it to be a problem. However you'd have to be aware of the straight A* GCSE and A*/A A-level applicants LSE will receive...

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

Ive applied to:
    1) LSE
    2) SOAS
    3) Queen Mary
    4) City
    5) Manchester

I got:
    A* Law
    A Business
    A Sociology

Thanks
    It said somewhere on the UCAS website that it was a criminal offence to not put down a qualification, and the teachers at my school flagged it up for everyone. People who got U grades in Maths had to put them down; a lot of them have 5 offers anyway. That said, LSE is stupidly competitive, around 15 applicants per place for Law.

ReputationRep:
    You have to put it down, if you don't then any offers you get will be rescinded.

Also applying without a 4th AS would look odd anyway!
    (And try not to let not getting on with a teacher affect your work in future, and especially make sure you submit your coursework - it's you that the C looks bad on, not your teacher!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.