Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has asked me for advice and i realy dont know what to say to him so i thought i would try on here

Basically as soon as he left school his pearents told him he has to pay £600 a month rent and they are not going to support him at all (he has to buy his own food and everything).

They have also made it clear they will give him no support for university.

So his situation is he is doing a full time low paid job just to pay the rent and survive on.

Going to college or 6th form to to further education (A-levels ect) is not possible because he is working full time.

Obviously without doing this stage he wont get a place at university but even if he did he would have the same financial and time problem as he does now.

He cant save money needed to live on for 5 years (2 years for A-levels and 3 years for a degree) years because of the high rent and living cost he has and he feals that he cant get a better paid job because he has no post GCSE education.

even if he does manage to get a better paid job and is able to start saving money i am concerned that it would take him far to long to save the money needed to live on and buy things needed to study for 5 years making it a very unreasonable burden. Also even if he did do it he would be in deep troubble if he ran into money problems in uni (ie what if he needs a new laptop) because by then he will have no income and nobody to fall back on.

any suggestions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    wow £600, that seems a lot.
    Can he not explain to his parents that if they lower the amount of monthly rent, this would allow him take on less hours at work, letting him carry on with his studies and save a bit of money for university.
    If not i'm sure he could find a flat with much lower rent, which would also eventually allow him to claim student finance on the basis that he independent from his parents

ReputationRep:
    I pay less than that and I live on the edge of zone 1/2....

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the answers to all your questions however I strongly recommend him to move out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. £600 a month rent is ludicrous and he can find affordable accomodation elsewhere FAR FAR cheaper than that, especially since he has to fund his food himself etc.

What about night time college, and doing work in the day?

ReputationRep:
    arround here rent will cost a minimum of £500 (although £600 to live with your pearents is insane)
    so shareing with someone would be the only way

not sure what he would think of night college but surely if he is working full time he will still be at a dissadvantage

ReputationRep:
    £600 a month is stupid. I live in a cheap area admittedly but I rent a 2 bed place for 425!
    There's financial help out there for people who need it. That's what it's there for

ReputationRep:
    tell him to move out. if he has a job for 3 years earning £7500+ he'll be assessed as independent so will get all the funding from the government so won't really need to worry then. however he has to get there first. his parents are being incredibly stingy - I've never paid £600 just on rent/bills anywhere in my life, and certainly not to my parents who are clearly using him for money. depending on where he lives i'm sure he can get a cheap flat share for £300-£400 per month plus bills, so he'd be able to do less hours and do college/6th form. still to get £500 per month (the absolute bare minimum he'd need to live i'm guessing) assuming his job pays about £5p/h, that's 100hours per month or 25 per week, which is a lot with 3 a levels too. his parents sound very odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    tell him to move out. if he has a job for 3 years earning £7500+ he'll be assessed as independent so will get all the funding from the government so won't really need to worry then. however he has to get there first. his parents are being incredibly stingy - I've never paid £600 just on rent/bills anywhere in my life, and certainly not to my parents who are clearly using him for money. depending on where he lives i'm sure he can get a cheap flat share for £300-£400 per month plus bills, so he'd be able to do less hours and do college/6th form. still to get £500 per month (the absolute bare minimum he'd need to live i'm guessing) assuming his job pays about £5p/h, that's 100hours per month or 25 per week, which is a lot with 3 a levels too. his parents sound very odd.
    he will need to look into that
    i always believed that eligibility for studetn grants and other benefits was given when you were 25, you say it could be younger if you work for 3 years

there are 2 problems with that
    1)
    living for 3 years on as little as 7.5k will be very unpleasant and if he looses his rent partner(and is left with no other option but the pearents) or his job at any time his 3 years straight will be ruined.

2)
    These new student fees are comming into force in 2012! enough said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman7)
    i always believed that eligibility for studetn grants and other benefits was given when you were 25, you say it could be younger if you work for 3 years

1)
    living for 3 years on as little as 7.5k will be very unpleasant and if he looses his rent partner(and is left with no other option but the pearents) or his job at any time his 3 years straight will be ruined.

2)

No full time job will pay only 7,500 as that is less than minimum wage, it will be at least 11,000 and hopefully a bit more than that. Time spent on JSA counts towards your time supporting yourself, as long as its in the middle of two jobs and not before ever having any job.

He needs to move out, get a little studio flat or a room in a shared flat, and start looking after himself as his parents have obviously decided that their responsibilities towards him are over now :mad:

After three years of work he will be classed as independent no matter how old he is, he would also be classed as this if he were estranged from his parents, which sounds like it might be a good idea anyway.

As for the new fees, well, they suck obviously. But he wouldn't have to pay them up front he'd be in the same boat as every other student whether supported by parents or not.

As for getting the qualifications needed to go to uni, has he looked at access courses? They can be part time in the evening and are specifically designed for people who have work and other responsibilities besides education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman7)

1)

2)
    I'm independent and I was 23 when I started. It doesn't need to be 3 years straight, just any 3 years. Also I think it's tax years, as used the tax year 2010-11 for mine, I'd only worked 6 months of it but earned more than £7.5k in that time.

It's MINIMUM £7.5k pe year, clearly that'd be very unpleasant to live off so little, as someone else said if you're working full time you'll get more than that.

New fees - if he's only 16 now, the new fees will affect him either way. I believe the point of the new fees is to help encourage poorer students in to uni (or so the government wants us to believe) - I can only assume they'll bring in additional funding for poor students (including independent students). Can he get EMA? (Not sure if it's been scrapped yet.)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Even if he is working full time he should be able to find time to study if he wants to enough. If he can't fit in a college night course then he could self study, or even look into the OU as you don't need A Levels for that.

ReputationRep:
    At £600 a month thats insane - I rent a 2 bed flat for £400!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.