Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History AS Retake... how are you revising? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking Edexcel history. Struggling with working out how to revise though... I've started by writing a few practice essays but I just don't know where to start! I've got a month :/

ReputationRep:
    Same! I use mind maps personally, as on our schemes of work we have individual sections and then I do a mind map for each section and so on. I intend to get round to doing practice essays at some point... what units are you resitting? However, cue cards could be helpful, or a timeline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOA Vamp)
    Same! I use mind maps personally, as on our schemes of work we have individual sections and then I do a mind map for each section and so on. I intend to get round to doing practice essays at some point... what units are you resitting? However, cue cards could be helpful, or a timeline?
    I'm resitting Wars of the Roses and Henry 7th... However, in the exam I got a D. My knowledge was perfect... It was just my essay writing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I'm resitting Wars of the Roses and Henry 7th... However, in the exam I got a D. My knowledge was perfect... It was just my essay writing...
    I am in a similar situation although I got a C.

I need an A and therefore I must work like a b*tch in my resits. Like you, my technique let me down.

ReputationRep:
    If i'm honest, i'm not revising much. Although I really should start :s

ReputationRep:
    I'm OCR.

I'm doing flashcards, mindmaps and notes of the period/government and just applying that to past exam questions. :emo: i need a B at AS at least.

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting the same I'm not sure what my problem was exactly, I think it was structuring essays so I'm going to do loads over the holidays to try and get better at it. However, I loathed Wars of the Roses and never understood it that much, so not looking forward to the re-sit Good luck with it anyhow!

ReputationRep:
    Im not to sure how to revise for the Sources Paper
    Any suggestions guys?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA The Rise and Leadership of Stalin or whatever it is. I bloody hate re-takes! I was one UMS mark off an A last year and I got a low B in this module so I'm re-sitting it.

ReputationRep:
    doing every single bloody question possible.

4 down, 42 to go. Got a month. Two a day (assuming timed) 21 days should be fine. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Tudor rebellions and RIII, Henry VII and Henry VIII's Crown and Government on WJEC... 1 mark off an A so gonna try and see if full marks is possible this time. revising via picture and mindmaps mostly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOA Vamp)
    I'm resitting the same I'm not sure what my problem was exactly, I think it was structuring essays so I'm going to do loads over the holidays to try and get better at it. However, I loathed Wars of the Roses and never understood it that much, so not looking forward to the re-sit Good luck with it anyhow!
    Argh same! My problem was my technique not my knowledge! I hate wars of the roses!

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is clearly a different paper to the one that I did, but in June 2009 I took American History 1890-1945 and got 55/100.
    Resat in Jan 2010 and got 95/100, just by reading through the textbook and noting down examples.
    I try to revise in as simple a way as possible. Get the right structure for essays ingrained in your head, and then all you need to focus on is the content, which is basically just examples and quotes.
    Good luck though!

Oh, and I found it easier to focus when reading in the bath... My attention span is atrocious and I tend to skim after reading for about ten minutes and then not take anything in, but when I'm in the bath I'm more relaxed and the only sound is the boiling trying desperately to keep up with how much hot water I use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Well, this is clearly a different paper to the one that I did, but in June 2009 I took American History 1890-1945 and got 55/100.
    Resat in Jan 2010 and got 95/100, just by reading through the textbook and noting down examples.
    I try to revise in as simple a way as possible. Get the right structure for essays ingrained in your head, and then all you need to focus on is the content, which is basically just examples and quotes.
    Good luck though!

Oh, and I found it easier to focus when reading in the bath... My attention span is atrocious and I tend to skim after reading for about ten minutes and then not take anything in, but when I'm in the bath I'm more relaxed and the only sound is the boiling trying desperately to keep up with how much hot water I use.
    Im hoping this was for the knowledge paper?. If so what was your structure for the essay? Any help would be great!!

ReputationRep:
    Just revise however you find it best - if you're a visual learner, then posters, mindmaps etc work great, auditory then podcasts, songs etc and so on.

Don't forget to look at example graded essays and to practise loads of past papers - it'll show you where your weaknesses (both in terms of the content and technique) lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdh12345)
    Im hoping this was for the knowledge paper?. If so what was your structure for the essay? Any help would be great!!
    I always try to use a similar structure for most of my essays. I start with a general overview or observation, back it up with one or two pieces of evidence or historians, then link it in with the first paragraph, and the essay goes from there. I try to order my themes in a way that puts the most important first, and also creates a common thread throughout the entire essay to keep me answering the question and minimise waffling. So for example, with the essays I am currently writing on Thatcher, the economy will come up in every paragraph, whether it's about social change or the economy itself, because it gives a nice well-rounded feel.
    Erm, I can't think of much more to say on that... I write 3-4 sides A4 for a 45 min essay so when I plan for an essay I have 3-4 sides in front of me and I visualise how much space I will need for each paragraph/ theme and note down the main points.
    Hope this helps?

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is resitting History AS, she got a U in the exam (I don't know why)...

She spent so much time revising and tried really hard. She's not as clever as the average TSR user, lets say, and she knows it but she tries more than any other person I know. She was predicted a C, but the teacher was confident that with all of the effort she put in she would be able to get a B.

All of the class seemed to drastically under-perform, so the teacher sent all of the exams back to be remarked... and all of them went up except for hers (someone even went from an E to a B). I hope she does better this time around.

ReputationRep:
    Argh same! My problem was my technique not my knowledge! I hate wars of the roses!
    Are your teachers being helpful in terms of how you can improve? All I can advise is to try and get as many practice essays as possible really, it's the best way to learn I know, fingers crossed this one goes well and I don't have to re-sit it again in the summer...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Analbeauty;28935694]I'm doing AQA The Rise and Leadership of Stalin or whatever it is. I bloody hate re-takes! I was one UMS mark off an A last year and I got a low B in this module so I'm re-sitting it.[/

woah finally found some that is doing the exact same resit, yeah stalin is a ***** to revise,, especially the five year plans

ReputationRep:
    Resitting WJEC AS history paper 1 today... Tudors in depth...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.