Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've basically forgotten how to read :S Watch

For a while now I've been having real trouble doing the work required for university, actually I haven't done anything at all this year, I just go to class having not done the reading and then sit there in a daze whilst everyone else discusses everything. I had two essays due a couple of weeks ago which I haven't done either.

Originally I thought this was due to problems I've been having with concentration, but it occurred to me today that actually it seems to be that I can't read Hear me out because that sounds retarded I know. Whenever I try to read anything more advanced than a few lines on TSR I can't do it. I read the words, I can do that, but they don't fit together in my head. I can't seem to follow the ideas - like today I was trying to read a book on a certain philosophical idea for uni and I was reading the words, I read several pages but I can't for the life of me say now what it was about. It's like I've forgotten how to do the comprehension part of the reading.

Anyone got experience of this? I realise it sounds a bit weird, I hope I explained sufficiently what the problem is. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

How long has this been going on? Could you read when you did A levels?

If it's a new thing it could be a concentration issue brought on by perhaps depression, and you should see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    It might help if you sit in a quiet room and read. No distractions! You take in a lot more that way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I kind of understand, it happens to me sometimes.
    Take notes if you think that'll help.
    After every sentence ask yourself "what does this sentence mean?" and decide if it's useful for what you're doing.
    It'll take longer but you'll understand it better.

ReputationRep:
    Are these signs of dyslexia maybe, having to read something over and over until its clear in your head. Maybe you should go for a test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For a while now I've been having real trouble doing the work required for university, actually I haven't done anything at all this year, I just go to class having not done the reading and then sit there in a daze whilst everyone else discusses everything. I had two essays due a couple of weeks ago which I haven't done either.

Originally I thought this was due to problems I've been having with concentration, but it occurred to me today that actually it seems to be that I can't read Hear me out because that sounds retarded I know. Whenever I try to read anything more advanced than a few lines on TSR I can't do it. I read the words, I can do that, but they don't fit together in my head. I can't seem to follow the ideas - like today I was trying to read a book on a certain philosophical idea for uni and I was reading the words, I read several pages but I can't for the life of me say now what it was about. It's like I've forgotten how to do the comprehension part of the reading.

Anyone got experience of this? I realise it sounds a bit weird, I hope I explained sufficiently what the problem is. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
    well I think you're just not concentrating, if you actually say (in your head) and think about the things you are reading, you'll understnad them.

i'll end up reading a book then sometimes i'll read something and i won't concentrate, basically i'll still be reading it but it's not actually going in my head if you get me

ReputationRep:
    i'm becoming worse at studying too so i kind of know how you feel

i really think the main problem is concentration, and not being used to studying any more
    maybe once you try and get back into the swing of things it'll get better? worked for me

with the essay thing - you might just need a break (: i know i do

(Original post by Blueflare)
    :lolwut:

How long has this been going on? Could you read when you did A levels?

If it's a new thing it could be a concentration issue brought on by perhaps depression, and you should see a doctor.
    I was diagnosed with depression a while back but this only seems to be getting worse. I already told my doctor I have problems concentrating but only really today did I realise that I don't think that's the whole picture.

(Original post by Manitude)
    I kind of understand, it happens to me sometimes.
    Take notes if you think that'll help.
    After every sentence ask yourself "what does this sentence mean?" and decide if it's useful for what you're doing.
    It'll take longer but you'll understand it better.
    Yes, I've been trying to make notes, that's what made me realise the problem is more with reading comprehension than with concentration. If I try to take notes after each sentence I can't do it. The very easiest sentence I can get: eg "there are 3 ways of explaining x" but the more difficult ones "the first way of explaining x is y and this is because a, b, c & d" just go totally over me. No amount of reading them back is working. It's getting extremely frustrating.

My writing is ok however, well, it took me age to write this and read it back over, but I don't think it's entirely just concentration.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like dyslexia to me... And go see a doctor, tell him exactly what's going on.

:O I'm In Exactly The Same Dilemma :|

ReputationRep:
    I get it if the text I'm reading is boring..

I know exactly what you mean, like you can read the words fine but the content doesn't go in your head?

I find reading out loud helps, but that's a bit of a problem if you're with a group of people :p:

ReputationRep:
    Eep! This is an issue if your trying to do philosophy! Erm, the best that I can suggest is
    A) to award yourself a short holiday of about two days or so to empty your brain of fluff and then
    B)start back by reading through your notes on a topic you know and understand really well
    C) think about what you are reading and try and follow through the logic of the arguement and WHY it makes sense
    D) read notes of one of your new topic that you are struggling with and see if you get anything out of it,
    E)write down a short summary of this topic and go read it to a friend who does philosophy
    F) if they like what you have written, have an quick philoargument about one or two of the key points to check that you have logged the info in the thinking bit of your brain rather than just the regurgitating bit of your brain and can make links with the info you have learned.

I am in no position to give depression or university advice, there are better people of TSR to ask about that kind of stuff than me. But I am doing a level philosophy and I find that sometimes I get so full of useless information that my brain stops working in exactly the way you describe above. It's like a saturated sponge and you read and read pages of stuff without taking anything in, then get frustrated because you are putting in loads of effort for no gains.

I don't know if this is useful to you but its what I advise the people who come to me for study help and general 'Fang's Lifestyle Clinic.' event. It seems to help them...

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how you will read our replies then?

ReputationRep:

I have that with everything that I read apart from the most absorbing things that I really care about. Proves tricky when I have so much damn reading set on my course.

But yes, you basically just described most of my reading habits. It's unfortunate and I thought I was just thick. Probably am.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm reading a book and you ask me to repeat the previous sentence then I won't be able to, not very accurately at least. So is that not normal?

ReputationRep:

I have exactly that problem, I've always had it, I'll read a page of something and get to the end, then realise I was thinking about something else the entire time and haven't understood any of it.

The only advice I can offer is do what I do - just read and reread everything until you get it. Also minimize distractions, helps a bit. If you think of anything more effective, please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    May I ask how you will read our replies then?
    Was just thinking that...

It sounds similar to dysphasia, but I really wouldn't want to diagnose.

Go and see a doctor about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.