Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm studying a Foundation course in Fine Art and struggled for a while before my course on getting the full loan. I had to wait a while before I got it because something was wrong with the website form or something so I had to send in a written form.

I finally got a letter around mid September that I was eligible for £3500 of maintenance loan to cover my living costs and my course costs. At the beginning of December a letter was sent to my family's home, not my term time home, stating that I am suddenly not entitled to the £3500 and that they have stopped all payments for the rest of the academic year for me.

The first payment I received just about covers me for one term. I have constantly been calling up Student Finance, but all I get on the phone is either 'there's no one to take my call in the call centre' or 'the computers are down, try back tomorrow'. I have tried again and again until I have no more money to spend on calling them up.

I'm just angry at the whole thing and just wondered what my next steps should be, I'm going home soon in a few days time so I can call them up as much as I want then. I have a few questions on the matter:

Does this kind of thing happen often?
    Has it happened to anyone else?
    Could it just be an error?
    What should I do if they refuse me the rest of the loan?

ReputationRep:
    The mail will have been sent to the address you supplied. If you're not entitled you either have to pay it yourself or leave.

ReputationRep:
    Did they say/do you know why you wouldn't be entitled? You must have some inkling e.g. you've been to uni before/you owe them money/you're not a UK resident (or whatever the eligibility req is).

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me as if you're not entitled because it has came to light that your foundation art course is not an integral part for a degree course i.e. a Year 0. With that in mind, the course you're on is therefore not designated, and you do not have any entitlement.

That's what I feel is probably the reason, going by the information given. At the time of the original assessment, it may have been processed as if it were a year 0, which it has since transpired iti's not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.