The Student Room Group

What does "nerd" mean to you?

Is it the way a person looks? Their grades? Their interests? The way they interact with the world around them?
And do you distinguish between "nerd", "geek", "dork" and so on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nerds can be cool. Geeks and dorks, not so much.
Reply 2
Well, I would consider a 'nerd/geek/dork' as someone who does too much of one thing.
Reply 3
Original post by bramz19

Btw, good look with your Oxford interview! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by awais590
Btw, good look with your Oxford interview! :biggrin:

Haha, I think we might be digressing a bit, and I had it last week, but thanks anyway! :smile:
Reply 5
This:

but I guess it can get worse...
Reply 6
nerd means someone who has an obsession over something, be that a massively multiplayer role playing game or bees.
Not sure really, just someone clever/ academic I guess. Although I suppose someone really stupid who knows an unhealthy amount about trains could be classified a nerd.
For some reason my mum seems to think it's analogous with chav, times must have changed:s-smilie:
Reply 8
A nerd is a smart ass, that I will always be best mates with.
For obvious reasons :smile:
Reply 9
I think of a proper nerd as those people who sit in class, unpopular, not very attractive, smart (or at least have the impression of being smart) and then they act all smug when they correct people, or answer questions.

Not many people are like this, there are geeky people who are similar but not so smug and they can be likeable, just a bit obsessed with academics or computers/games.
Nothing, labels are stupid.
Nerds/geeks are people who do too much work.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bramz19

Geek chic?
Reply 13
Original post by Broderss
nerd means someone who has an obsession over something, be that a massively multiplayer role playing game or bees.

tut, i love the MMORPG plus COD :biggrin:, hmm not a nerd though as i bull**** through all my A-2 exams :biggrin: and basically dont give a ****
Reply 14
Original post by sandys1000
Geek chic?

'You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!'

If I had more money, I swear I'd subscribe. Grr.
swot: an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious
an intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession

I think Nerds will rule the Earth one day.
I tend to associate "nerd" with hobbies that have an uncool stigma, like reading comic books, being interested in computers, watching anime or whatever, "geek" with someone who is intelligent, whether it be naturally gifted or through seemingly studying all the time or somewhere inbetween, and "dork" as a more derogatory term where you're purposefully trying to hurt someone for being one or both of the former two. Don't particularly know what's made me slot them into those categories, it's just kind of the way I "picture" it in my head =P
Reply 18
Original post by Jelephant
I tend to associate "geek" with hobbies that have an uncool stigma, like reading comic books, being interested in computers, watching anime or whatever, "nerd" with someone who is intelligent, whether it be naturally gifted or through seemingly studying all the time or somewhere inbetween, and "dork" as a more derogatory term where you're purposefully trying to hurt someone for being one or both of the former two. Don't particularly know what's made me slot them into those categories, it's just kind of the way I "picture" it in my head =P

My opinion.
Reply 19
isn't he one of them rappers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending