Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have got an interview soon for diagnostic radiography, i am not quite sure on how to approach some of the questions . if any of you guys who ve had interviews in the past for radiography or if any applicants who are in the process of applying for radiography this year, could you PLEASE!!! help me with the following questions..

Why Diagnostic or Therapeutic Imaging?
    Demonstrate communication skills?
    Show knowledge of scope and range of radiography?
    Why separates you from other applicants?

How would you answer the above questions if someone was to interview you. help would be very much appreciated.

You should know why you chose to do diagnostic radiography or radiotherapy. Just be honest.

You can demonstrate your communication skills by how you talk to the interviewer, but if there are any relevant extra-curricular activities you can talk about, then mention them.

You should also have a fair idea about the array of things radiography covers. Plain film, CT, MRI, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, interventional, theatre... And the developments that each modality is undergoing (e.g. ultrasound will be being used in cancer treatment in years to come, and CT is being used more often for trauma cases, despite the higher dose, for the extra information it provides and the speed of it if you need to do a complex trauma series).

Don't know how to answer the last question. My interview was pretty informal and was never asked that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      You should know why you chose to do diagnostic radiography or radiotherapy. Just be honest.

You can demonstrate your communication skills by how you talk to the interviewer, but if there are any relevant extra-curricular activities you can talk about, then mention them.

You should also have a fair idea about the array of things radiography covers. Plain film, CT, MRI, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, interventional, theatre... And the developments that each modality is undergoing (e.g. ultrasound will be being used in cancer treatment in years to come, and CT is being used more often for trauma cases, despite the higher dose, for the extra information it provides and the speed of it if you need to do a complex trauma series).

Don't know how to answer the last question. My interview was pretty informal and was never asked that.
      ahh k thanks for your advice mate btw are you applying for next year 2

(Original post by 10daystar)
        ahh k thanks for your advice mate btw are you applying for next year 2
        No I'm a couple of months away from the end of my second year lol. Best of luck btw.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        No I'm a couple of months away from the end of my second year lol. Best of luck btw.
        oh kk kool lol n again thank you
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Good luck with the interview, where is it?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by dreaminchicken)
        Good luck with the interview, where is it?
        thanks n university of bradford. are you applying for radiography 2 this year?
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        thanks n university of bradford. are you applying for radiography 2 this year?
        Yes, I also applied to Bradford but only added them about 2 weeks ago. I've since had an interview and offer from Cumbria which is my first choice so will probably cancel my other choices once I hear from them about the offer. It has only come up on track so far so I don't want to withdraw from my other choices just yet.

ReputationRep:
        Yes, I also applied to Bradford but only added them about 2 weeks ago. I've since had an interview and offer from Cumbria which is my first choice so will probably cancel my other choices once I hear from them about the offer. It has only come up on track so far so I don't want to withdraw from my other choices just yet.
        ahh Thas gud you ve got an offer from your favoured university, whas was your interview like?
        And ya definitely do not withdraw!! because you ve 2 pick a firm and an insurancer choice anyway so might as well just leave it for now.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        ahh Thas gud you ve got an offer from your favoured university, whas was your interview like?
        And ya definitely do not withdraw!! because you ve 2 pick a firm and an insurancer choice anyway so might as well just leave it for now.
        It wasn't bad, not too formal. Lots of questions but as long as you know about what radiographer's do and why you want to do the course you'll be fine. I won't need an insurance choice as I already have my qualifications and only have to pass the health and CRB checks to meet the conditions.

ReputationRep:
        It wasn't bad, not too formal. Lots of questions but as long as you know about what radiographer's do and why you want to do the course you'll be fine. I won't need an insurance choice as I already have my qualifications and only have to pass the health and CRB checks to meet the conditions.
        Thas a very good position to be in, ideal scenario. i wish i was in that situation now.
        And for the interview i am quite concerned because i know what a radiographer does (obvioustly), but i have only been to X-ray departments for work expereince so for example if they asked me about Fluoroscopy or ultrasound I wouldnt really be able to talk in much detail since not familiar with the science behind it.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Thas a very good position to be in, ideal scenario. i wish i was in that situation now.
        And for the interview i am quite concerned because i know what a radiographer does (obvioustly), but i have only been to X-ray departments for work expereince so for example if they asked me about Fluoroscopy or ultrasound I wouldnt really be able to talk in much detail since not familiar with the science behind it.
        I think as long as you know the basics (just in case), you prob don't need to know the ins and outs of it all in any great depth. I didn't read up on it in any depth I just made sure I knew what each one was used for etc. I only had one day of work experience and didn't get to see everything but I still learned a lot.

I know it's hard but try to relax and not panic too much. You got an interview so that's positive. It will probably be more to do with so they can see what you are like as a person. When is the interview? I actually applied to Bradford but heard nothing yet. I wasn't sure if they interviewed or not.

They shouldn't ask you any specifics about any particular modalities, but showing you know they exist and their associated opportunities for career progression won't be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
          good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine!
          i have one with portsmouth in feb, i'm in a panic already haha.

ReputationRep:
          I think as long as you know the basics (just in case), you prob don't need to know the ins and outs of it all in any great depth. I didn't read up on it in any depth I just made sure I knew what each one was used for etc. I only had one day of work experience and didn't get to see everything but I still learned a lot.

I know it's hard but try to relax and not panic too much. You got an interview so that's positive. It will probably be more to do with so they can see what you are like as a person. When is the interview? I actually applied to Bradford but heard nothing yet. I wasn't sure if they interviewed or not.
          i thought they dont interview ppl as well :/ but i spoke to this admission guy n he said they only interview particular ppl, i guess they look at your application n if they want to know more abou u, they ll invite you for the interview.
          i havent been told when it ll take place, just got told by the admission lady that i will be invited for an interview. The reason that i am preparing is that just incase its short notice.
          but anyways thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by FXX)
          They shouldn't ask you any specifics about any particular modalities, but showing you know they exist and their associated opportunities for career progression won't be a bad thing.
          ya i will just look into each aspect briefly just incase i get a really grumpy interviewer .
          but ya thanks again n by the way how is the actual course, is it hard n a big step up from A levels?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)
          good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine!
          i have one with portsmouth in feb, i'm in a panic already haha.
          its natural , i havent been given an exact date for mine but I am already worrying about it lol. I have done few job interviews but this doesnt feel anything like that. On the day of the interview I going to be dead nervous just like I was on my driving test haha.
          i was going to apply for portsmouth but its too far!!!.
          thanks and good luck to u 2

ya i will just look into each aspect briefly just incase i get a really grumpy interviewer .
            but ya thanks again n by the way how is the actual course, is it hard n a big step up from A levels?
            It's very progressive. The first year takes it steady, and you'll learn much of it from scratch, though A-level biology will come in very useful in understanding certain principles. If you've done physics and looked at atomic structure, you'll be a small step ahead for the radiation science, but that doesn't go into too much depth. If you enjoy the subjects you should find the course fine, but there is a lot of work involved, particularly if you're going to be on placement for half the year as well.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by FXX)
            It's very progressive. The first year takes it steady, and you'll learn much of it from scratch, though A-level biology will come in very useful in understanding certain principles. If you've done physics and looked at atomic structure, you'll be a small step ahead for the radiation science, but that doesn't go into too much depth. If you enjoy the subjects you should find the course fine, but there is a lot of work involved, particularly if you're going to be on placement for half the year as well.
            kool sounds kind of hard but looking forward to it. i am doing biology now but not physics but as you said shouldnt be too much of a problem, hopefully there will be lots of other people like me.
            n i was wondering you know for your hospital placement, will the university allow you to go to hospitals in your favoured city? so for example if you go to bradford university will they allow you to do a placement in liverpool.
            probably not since someone from the university has to visit you but just wondering if its possible.

kool sounds kind of hard but looking forward to it. i am doing biology now but not physics but as you said shouldnt be too much of a problem, hopefully there will be lots of other people like me.
              n i was wondering you know for your hospital placement, will the university allow you to go to hospitals in your favoured city? so for example if you go to bradford university will they allow you to do a placement in liverpool.
              probably not since someone from the university has to visit you but just wondering if its possible.
              Nope, you'll need to go to one of the hospitals the university is contracted with. You need to go somewhere where you'll be getting a good range of experience and staff that are aware of what you need to be learning. I chose to stay at home for the course for that very reason; I figured that if I'm going to learn in a hospital, it might as well be in a hospital I'm likely to apply for a job at when I qualify. It doesn't matter which university you go to because all the courses are HPC credited and you can get references from your placement sites as well as the university.

The latest HPC guidelines suggest you should be going to at least two main hospital sites, but you'll be sent to other smaller 'satellite' hospitals as well. That's what our university does, though you stay at one site for the first year and choose a second for the second and third years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.