Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government considering scrapping travel grant for poorest Watch

ReputationRep:
    The government is considering abolishing a £20m grant that has helped the poorest pupils afford the cost of travelling to school, it emerged today.

Michael Gove, the education secretary, appearing before the Commons education select committee, also admitted there will not be a real-terms rise in school budgets, as he had previously claimed. The travel grant is given to pupils in primary and secondary schools and sixth-form colleges who cannot afford their daily bus fare or train journey. These pupils go to schools and colleges some distance from their homes for reasons of religious faith or to study particular subjects.

The grant will stop in its current form next summer, but the government is looking into how the funds can continue as part of its review into school transport.

A spokesman from the Department for Education said: "We are looking at what we can do and are determined that no child will lose out."

Yesterday, as part of England's school budget settlement, Gove said he would be reviewing home-to-school transport "so that we can better meet the needs of not only disadvantaged families, but all families, ensuring transport is properly targeted to those that need it most".
    Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/14/pupil-travel-grant-under-threat

Personally, I don't receive this but I know quite a few people at my college who do because they come from out of town. From my experience, this grant goes to those who actually need it, and certainly helps towards their travel costs. A free pass would be much better but meh...

Just wondering what your views are.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't receive it but i am strongly opposed to this. EMA being scrapped was justifiable, but this is going too far. I cannot even begin to imagine what the people actually affected by all this are going through.

At my first secondary school half the school came from surrounding areas 10-20 miles away because it was religious and the only schools where they lived were your typical inner city ****hole - its probably the same now. Some of these families who are in enough financial difficulty as it is won't be able to afford the ridiculously overpriced travel after it goes up yet again. I'm sure the parents cannot wait to tell their child they have to abandon their friends and a decent education because they cannot afford the bus/train travel. ''We are determined nobody loses out'', what a load of ****. They know exactly what they are doing.

ReputationRep:
    Because poor kids don't need to go to school... Or to go to a decent school anyways...

ReputationRep:
    This would be good news, if the government got rid of market principles in education and set about creating and encouraging GOOD LOCAL SCHOOLS.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually read the story? It's pretty minor stuff.

"The grant will stop in its current form next summer, but the government is looking into how the funds can continue as part of its review into school transport."

So why not wait and see instead of mushroom speculation- in the dark and based on crap?

Source - The Guardian. Enough said.

For me, this is all speculation. We'll see how this will go.

ReputationRep:
      Meanwhile the tax payer pays for this -
      MEPs award themselves £91,000 tax free expenses a year

MEPs will next year take home £91,000 in tax free expenses without having to provide any proof of expenditure as part of an increased pay and perks package.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.