Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand that they are needed, but I did one for the student associates scheme in August, had to do a new one for the school I work at now in October and I'm observing some lessons in a school in June and they said i need a CRB that is 3 months up to date but no one will apply for a crb for me...sorry but this just seems ridiculous, over the top and a waste of time and money! i mean everyone knows by now that most children get abused by people they know not a random female that comes to observe lessons for a week! sorry had to rant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma t)
    I understand that they are needed, but I did one for the student associates scheme in August, had to do a new one for the school I work at now in October and I'm observing some lessons in a school in June and they said i need a CRB that is 3 months up to date but no one will apply for a crb for me...sorry but this just seems ridiculous, over the top and a waste of time and money! i mean everyone knows by now that most children get abused by people they know not a random female that comes to observe lessons for a week! sorry had to rant!
    Meh the CRB system is quite silly.. I'm a teacher.. finished my PGCE in July, got a job lined up for 1st Sep and my CRB wasn't processed quickly enough, even though I already had an up to date CRB from my PGCE because I had moved back to the Midlands from London that wasn't good enough, so I had to be off work until the last week in October because I wasn't 'safe' to be with my class.

It was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they have to apply for it for you if they want you to have it? Isn't your current one valid? I worked in a school in June and my CRB as a karate instructor was fine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you're employed then it's different - I guess they do it to cover their own backs. Ideally you don't need a CRB check unless it's likely you'll be alone in a room with children, but some schools have a 'no check, no entry' policy (probably in case ofsted come in and check their safeguarding procedures). I've heard from someone I worked with when his job changes within the council that he needed a new one!

ReputationRep:
    What I always found funny about CRB checks is that people are scared of adults harming children, yet in some schools some of the pupils would fail a CRB check...

ReputationRep:
    I think I have 2/3 valid ones at the moment with working with young people. I work as a carer to and your meant to have one for each child you work with (at £38 a go, not that I have to pay but someone has to, what a waste of money! )

ReputationRep:
    This is why scrapping the Vetting and Barring system was so annyoing! That system would have made it a lot easier to work with children and young people in a number of settings without the need for seperate checks and also ensured they are up to date.

ReputationRep:
    How long do they take to come back? I had to fill in a form and provide a bunch of ID documents for a school that is letting me do some observations next term (no date set yet though!). I took the forms in yesterday and the lady said it all looked fine so she would send it off but it will take a while... How long is a while? :/

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest - what are the main things the school checks in your CRB? because I have a criminal record i.e. assualt and possession of a weapon and i'm just wondering if I want to go into teaching after graduation will this be a bid deal??

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world ..every police force and local council would be connected via networks and all that shizzle....but they do not talk to each other..hence the reason why you have to go through the same ol rubbish each time for a CRB check. But to be fair it does do the job it was intended to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Just out of interest - what are the main things the school checks in your CRB? because I have a criminal record i.e. assualt and possession of a weapon and i'm just wondering if I want to go into teaching after graduation will this be a bid deal??
    You may fail to get the job you want...dont for one minute think its just for pedos. So yes it would be a big deal sorry to say..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heckmeister)
    You may fail to get the job you want...dont for one minute think its just for pedos. So yes it would be a big deal sorry to say..
    Are you being realistic? would a company/school really reject me despite my qualification and experience in comparison to another candidate who has no experience whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    It probably would be..

How do those things not seem like a big deal to you?

ReputationRep:
    Are you being realistic? would a company/school really reject me despite my qualification and experience in comparison to another candidate who has no experience whatsoever?
    How old are you now, and how old were you when you got the convictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    How old are you now, and how old were you when you got the convictions?
    I'm 24, in my final year uni. Convicted Oct 2009, sentence complete (fine, prob and CS). What dya think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma t)
    I do totally agree. I currently hold 7 CRB checks, all issued in the space of arund 18 months, because the only organisation I've found to accept current CRB checks is the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Assessor Network. The school does need to cover itself though - imagine you'd been convicted of a crime involving say child abuse, and they didn't check you; whether you abuse a child or not, if anybody finds out, it makes them look irresponsible.

(Original post by beelliezebub)
    This is why scrapping the Vetting and Barring system was so annyoing! That system would have made it a lot easier to work with children and young people in a number of settings without the need for seperate checks and also ensured they are up to date.
    It wasn't annoying at all. Under the scheme, if our Scout Group wanted to use parents to take the kids from our Scout HQ to bowling this Thursday, they'd need to get an ISA check first. It would cause serious problems for youth groups and schools, who actually would've faced not being allowed to take kids abroad. I welcome the review of the V&B proposals.

In an ideal world ..every police force and local council would be connected via networks and all that shizzle....but they do not talk to each other..hence the reason why you have to go through the same ol rubbish each time for a CRB check. But to be fair it does do the job it was intended to do
    CRB disclosures are now being made accessible online, and as a data subject, you will have the ability to share these disclosures with other individuals and groups. It's well-overdue, sure, but at least it's coming into play - as it stands though, with the V&B review, groups are reluctant to start using the online system, and they also need to consider how old a CRB check they'll accept - is 6 months good enough, how about 2 years, or 5? Give it time though

(Original post by aleathiel)
    How long do they take to come back? I had to fill in a form and provide a bunch of ID documents for a school that is letting me do some observations next term (no date set yet though!). I took the forms in yesterday and the lady said it all looked fine so she would send it off but it will take a while... How long is a while? :/
    It really does vary. CRB provide 90% of Standard checks with 10 days, and 90% of Enhanced checks within 4 weeks. Typically, mine have taken between a week and a fortnight for Enhanced disclosures.

ReputationRep:
    its not a case of how qualified you are ..you have a criminal record for violence.. now im not saying you will be cast aside for sure...but you stand less chance of getting a job with convictions...unless they are spent of course...you really should talk to the council or school or police to see what the likely outcomes would be..

Think about it... if you have kids now or in the future...do you want to have somone teaching your kids that has a record for violence ?

But then the world is falling apart round our ears ..so you will polly be ok :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    It probably would be..

How do those things not seem like a big deal to you?
    Because it labels me as a criminal, when in truth my offence was committed in defence of another person beaten up by a group - so i was kind of helping the person out becasue he was an easy target. wost of all, the courts let the group of thugs free due to lack of evdince and instead convicted me! now how do i explain that at an interview?

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for my volunteer role at the nursery I had to have a CRB check done... it took a while to come back, but while it was being processed I was still allowed to volunteer - I just wasn't allowed to be with the children unsupervised, or go anywhere near the toilets.

Even now, I'm not allowed to supervise a whole room of children on my own, but then that's more to do with the adult:child ratios in the EYFS than me being deemed a safety threat. I'm allowed to be with small groups alone, and supervise them in the toilets while they wash their hands.

ReputationRep:
    its not a case of how qualified you are ..you have a criminal record for violence.. now im not saying you will be cast aside for sure...but you stand less chance of getting a job with convictions...unless they are spent of course...you really should talk to the council or school or police to see what the likely outcomes would be..

Think about it... if you have kids now or in the future...do you want to have somone teaching your kids that has a record for violence ?

But then the world is falling apart round our ears ..so you will polly be ok :P
    its totally OTT because although i can see for security/safety reasons its important, there should still be a level of common sense and take into account the persons character profile and an appreciation that innocent people can and do end up in circumstances like mine - im not a violent person by nature by my CRB will suggest that i am.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.