Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could you help me here, please.

Select the TRUE statement.
    Choose one answer.
    a. Malonyl CoA decarboxylase is stimulated by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.
    b. Acetyl CoA Carboxylase is stimulated by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.
    c. Malonyl CoA Decarboxylase is inhibited by citrate, which inhibits fatty acid synthesis.
    d. Acetyl CoA Carboxylase is inhibited by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.

I think this is c.

Which of the enzymes below uses the free energy released by the oxidation of its substrate, to drive the phosphorylation of the substrate by inorganic phosphate?
    Choose one answer.
    a. Glyceraldehyde-3-P Dehydrogenase
    b. Hexokinase
    c. Phosphoglycerate Kinase
    d. Pyruvate Kinase

Either a or d?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    are you doing a-level biology if yes what board ??? im doing OCR and i dont think we need to go in to that much biochemical detail in the krebs cycle and link reaction ???? please tell me your at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Could you help me here, please.

Select the TRUE statement.
    Choose one answer.
    a. Malonyl CoA decarboxylase is stimulated by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.
    b. Acetyl CoA Carboxylase is stimulated by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.
    c. Malonyl CoA Decarboxylase is inhibited by citrate, which inhibits fatty acid synthesis.
    d. Acetyl CoA Carboxylase is inhibited by citrate, which favours fatty acid synthesis.

I think this is c.

Which of the enzymes below uses the free energy released by the oxidation of its substrate, to drive the phosphorylation of the substrate by inorganic phosphate?
    Choose one answer.
    a. Glyceraldehyde-3-P Dehydrogenase
    b. Hexokinase
    c. Phosphoglycerate Kinase
    d. Pyruvate Kinase

Either a or d?

Thanks
    question 1: Excess citrate in the TCA cycle favours fatty acid synthesis
    question 2: for phosphorylation it must be a kinase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kama215)
    are you doing a-level biology if yes what board ??? im doing OCR and i dont think we need to go in to that much biochemical detail in the krebs cycle and link reaction ???? please tell me your at university
    Yeah, university lol ;p If you're gonna take sciences, you got all this to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    question 1: Excess citrate in the TCA cycle favours fatty acid synthesis
    question 2: for phosphorylation it must be a kinase.
    so i'll go with b for question 1, cause fatty acid synthesis starts off with Acetyl CoA being carboxylated to form malonyl CoA?

and for question 2, in oxidative phosphorylation - pyruvate kinase, so d?

ReputationRep:
    so i'll go with b for question 1, cause fatty acid synthesis starts off with Acetyl CoA being carboxylated to form malonyl CoA?

and for question 2, in oxidative phosphorylation - pyruvate kinase, so d?
    Sounds about right but I'm not 100% sure, forgotton some of my notes lol.

I said as much as I was certain about, to hopefully point you in the right direction

But yeah kinase is an enzyme which phosphorylates something and citrate accumulation points generally towards FA synthesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicatre)
    Sounds about right but I'm not 100% sure, forgotton some of my notes lol.

I said as much as I was certain about, to hopefully point you in the right direction

But yeah kinase is an enzyme which phosphorylates something and citrate accumulation points generally towards FA synthesis.
    That's awesome, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome, thanks!
    No problem I'm in 2nd year bio and enjoy and therefor atleast should be good at this biochem stuff :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, university lol ;p If you're gonna take sciences, you got all this to look forward to!
    do you mind me asking what degree you do im guessing its biomedical/biological pharmacology/pharmacy sort degree me im looking to do biomedical science and i think you may have given me a preview content wise lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kama215)
    do you mind me asking what degree you do im guessing its biomedical/biological pharmacology/pharmacy sort degree me im looking to do biomedical science and i think you may have given me a preview content wise lool
    I'm doing biomedical sciences, I don't think this would be covered is pharmacy or anything though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.