Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got this asked in a practical worksheet,
    "Explain why conclusions may not be valid if you don't have at least 3 replicates and 5 intermediate values, for the IV"

I understand that by replication , the experiment is increased in reliability and that by having more intermediate values, interpolation would be more reliable to use,.. But I don't understand how this links with validity
    Is there anything else I'm missing since its a five mark question, or do I just need to "babble" ( which I'm not particularly good at)

Thanks in advance,

ReputationRep:
    When researchers first looked at how people gradually breathe more at altitude they took one value an hour and got a nice smooth curve - turns out that because they had too few intermediate values they missed an entire first hour of breathing which went up, then straight back down again before finally rising one more up to the value at 1 hour. The resolution of their experiment wasn't good enough and they didn't get a valid conclusion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.