Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my dilema is basically i can't chose whether to go down the art or geography path. I know a geography degree is generally better renwonded, but finding it hard to get information on what art degrees are highly recommended, for example, doing a degree in advertisement, would I still be able to get the same job with a geography degree??

ReputationRep:
    Advertising and Geography are so far apart, what job are you looking for?

ReputationRep:
    If you're most concerned about jobs, then decide what job you'd like, or which sector you'd like to go into, then probably take the degree which is most likely to take you there.

Personally though, I'd just go for the subject you think you'll enjoy the most and you'll naturally find a job which you enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhsheehy)
    my dilema is basically i can't chose whether to go down the art or geography path. I know a geography degree is generally better renwonded, but finding it hard to get information on what art degrees are highly recommended, for example, doing a degree in advertisement, would I still be able to get the same job with a geography degree??
    Well if you did Graphic Design/Advertising you'd obviously be one step ahead. If you want to work in an Advetising company they'll no doubt want qualified applicants with some works experience in the trade, which you will probably get whilst doing your degree from work placements and stuff like that. Obviously with help from the university getting a placement will be a lot easier.

You could theoretically work your way into the advertising business without the correct qualifications, although it'd harder.
    You'd have to probably work without pay for quite a while (although it's common to have to do so even with a degree, unless a company approaches you based on your degree work), and even to get that opportunity you'd have to show some them that you are extremely skilled.
    And if you are that skilled, then I would imagine doing a degree in design for advertising would be something you'd be really good at and enjoy.

It all depends on what you want to do I guess. Choose the one that'll make it easiest to go into the line of work you want to after Uni.

Is it Advertising you want to do? Or were you just using that as an example of an Art degree you believe might be more recommended?
    What kind of stuff do you like doing most?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for all the advice,

to be honest, i'm not that sure what i want to do in the future, i really enjoy geography and art, which is why i find it hard to chose because the subjects are so different, but i thought with advertisement as an example, i can see the links it has with human geography from market research ect. i know im just one of those awkward people, i probably will end up doing art, but the only thing stopping me is that if i do end up doing a totally non art related degree, than a geography degree would get me further?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.