Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it recommended to do Maths...because i got a U on my first C1 past exam paper which we did in class. Basically, the whole class got a U with some individuals with Es, Ds and one C. I don't know if I should drop it after AS Maths. I'm predicted a B, but I want to get an A. I will need some revision tips to hit the A. I'm planning to stay after college for 2 hours to get more revision done for the January exams. And please help me out on whether Maths is essential for doing economics? I really enjoy economics and get As. :s

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at university website course finders to find out whether they would like maths or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EKR93)
    Have a look at university website course finders to find out whether they would like maths or not.
    I checked, it says they only ask for AS Maths...but will that decrease my chances against people who have actually done A-Level Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rishz)
    Is it recommended to do Maths...because i got a U on my first C1 past exam paper which we did in class. Basically, the whole class got a U with some individuals with Es, Ds and one C. I don't know if I should drop it after AS Maths. I'm predicted a B, but I want to get an A. I will need some revision tips to hit the A. I'm planning to stay after college for 2 hours to get more revision done for the January exams. And please help me out on whether Maths is essential for doing economics? I really enjoy economics and get As. :s

Thanks
    wow, a U in C1? that's like the easiest 'first module' out of any A Level out there, If you find it hard now wait until you see what C2 has in store...

I would recommend booking some tuition sessions (1-1 tuition), make sure the tutor is a professional, not some amateur. The man who mentors me has an engineering scholarship from Cambridge and he made me realise how easy maths is compared to my other subjects (biology/chemistry/physics). You'll realise how easy it really is Aim for 100%

and this goes against humanity.. surely there must be some bright asian dude in your class with the A grade? or is it the old case of the guy/woman who cannot teach? My physics teacher is a bit like that...

(Original post by Rishz)
      I checked, it says they only ask for AS Maths...but will that decrease my chances against people who have actually done A-Level Maths?
      They might only ask for AS-Maths, but I suspect they will likely teach you lots of the A2 Maths on your course. And you're better off studying that material in a school than at university. So if you are serious about studying Econ+Finance then I suggest you try your best to get to grips with the Maths now rather than putting the crunch-time off.

ReputationRep:
      Depends what universities you are applying for. For most "good" universities, AS level Maths will be a requirement (and they may prefer an A*, A or B in it too depending on the university.) AS and/or A2 Maths will definitely be greatly preferred and will aide your application substantially. Economics (let alone Economics & Finance) at university will most likely involve quite a bit of maths, even if they reteach a lot of A level topics. So it will also be a personal advantage to get familiar with the modules.

Some less prestigious unis will only ask for GCSE Maths (mostly A or B standard).

Have a look at the courses on the uni websites and call them up if you're unsure :yep:

ReputationRep:
      I would take it.

According to my maths teacher, when you're taught economics at uni they go through calculus like differentiation (which you learn at A level).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rishz)

Thanks
      Maths is pretty goddamn essential in economics and finance, even if the university doesn't ask for it. Getting a U in c1.....damn

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by therealOG)
      Maths is pretty goddamn essential in economics and finance, even if the university doesn't ask for it. Getting a U in c1.....damn
      I got a U on the first past paper we did, it wasnt the real exam. Now i'm getting Cs on my second past paper and hopefully aiming for an A.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.