Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My bench is abysmal! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been stuck on my bench for ages now, can't just about get 3 x 8 on 55kg, which is crap, im 17 and a half and been weight training properly for around 6-7 months, but been stuck on 55kg for like 2 months now.. I train without spotters so can't manage to squeeze out the last few. Another problem is I'm constantly changing my routine recently, try one for a couple of weeks then move to another which might be the problem, but I always include flat and incline in all of them.

Anyone recommend a routine?

ReputationRep:
    Do it heavier, do it more often

ReputationRep:
    Starting Strength.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have a bench

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely thought you'd have a picture of an old rickety bench.

Disappointment city :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)

Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Do it heavier, do it more often
    Would it be beneficial to start at say 3x6 60kg, at the beginning of every split? On back/bi day, leg/shoulder day as well as chest/tri?

ReputationRep:
    you need to tell us more about your routines

how do you try to progress the weight? do you add 2.5 once you've hit 3x8 on a given weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by made_of_fail)
    you need to tell us more about your routines

how do you try to progress the weight? do you add 2.5 once you've hit 3x8 on a given weight?
    Somedays i manage 57.5kg some i can only manage 55kg..

Think i'll start going up 2.5kg every 2 weeks or however long it takes to complete a clean 3x8

routine atm:

Split from a routine i found online.. all in order.

Chest/Bi -
    (i know its best to do flat first but i thought i'd give this routine i found online a go.. will most probably change to flat first next week)

Incline DB - 3x8 - 22.5kg each hand
    Flat Bench - 3x8 - 50kg-55kg
    Dips - 3x10 - Bodyweight
    Flat Flyes - 12kg-14kg

EZ bar curls - 4x10 - 17.5kg + 8.7kg bar
    Concentration curls - 3x10 - 12kg
    Hammer Curls EZ Bar - 4x10 - 15kg + 8.7kg bar

Legs/Shoulders -

Squat - 3x10 - 80kg
    Stiff legged deadlift - 65kg-70kg
    Leg Press - 3x10 - 270lbs-300lbs
    Seated calf raise - 4x12 (no exact weight on machine)

DB military press - 3x10 - 18kg each hand
    Seated DB lateral raise - 3x10 - 8kg-10kg each hand
    Reverse DB flyes - 3x10 - 8kg
    DB Shrugs - 4x12 - 20kg (can definitely go higher just a DB limit)

Back/Tri -

Wide grip pull ups - 3x8 - bodyweight
    Lat pull downs - 3x8 - 112.5lbs
    One arm DB row - 3x10 - 20kg
    Bent over row - 3x10 - 40kg-45kg

Skull crushers EZ - 3x10 - 20kg-25kg
    Rope pull downs - 4x10 - (no exact weight on machine)
    Reverse single arm extension - 3x10 (no exact weight on machine)

Only done it for a week so far, just searching for a good 3 day split routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz343)
    I've been stuck on my bench for ages now, can't just about get 3 x 8 on 55kg, which is crap, im 17 and a half and been weight training properly for around 6-7 months, but been stuck on 55kg for like 2 months now.. I train without spotters so can't manage to squeeze out the last few. Another problem is I'm constantly changing my routine recently, try one for a couple of weeks then move to another which might be the problem, but I always include flat and incline in all of them.

Anyone recommend a routine?

if you can do 8 on 55kg you can do 3 or maybe 5 on 60KG

Reps of 1-5 = strength gains
    If you want mass its 6-8 reps (1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 reps)

Think about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    if you can do 8 on 55kg you can do 3 or maybe 5 on 60KG

Reps of 1-5 = strength gains
    If you want mass its 6-8 reps (1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 reps)

Think about that.
    Yeah i want to gain size, but to do that i need to build strength..

What about doing 3x5 60kg, trying to gain a rep or two a week to eventually getting to 3x8 on 60kg? then start over onto 65kg?

ReputationRep:
    Try pausing at the bottom of the rep, with the bar resting on your chest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz343)
    Yeah i want to gain size, but to do that i need to build strength..

What about doing 3x5 60kg, trying to gain a rep or two a week to eventually getting to 3x8 on 60kg? then start over onto 65kg?
    You dont add 1 rep a week when you're training your muscles to get stronger, you just screw up the process.

Do cycles of 4 weeks and budge the weight up, stop thinking about pumping out more than 5 reps until you can handle your own body weight in a 5x5 rep/set strength program.

Then you must learn how to include mass gaining reps and sets alongside your strength routine, are you getting the picture yet? it takes time and effort so if you dont put anything into it you wont get anything out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    I'm surprised no one yet has told you to eat more, that's the most effective way to gain size and strength.

What weight are you and what height are you? If you are 100kg then I might agree that your bench isn't that good, however if it's 60kg it really isn't that bad.
    69kg and 5'10

Like you said I do need to eat more but parents buy the food and things like chicken are expensive. I take protein shakes with glutamine and creatine after every workout but that's about it, where I should really be taking 2-3 shakes a day I presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    You dont add 1 rep a week when you're training your muscles to get stronger, you just screw up the process.

Do cycles of 4 weeks and budge the weight up, stop thinking about pumping out more than 5 reps until you can handle your own body weight in a 5x5 rep/set strength program.

Then you must learn how to include mass gaining reps and sets alongside your strength routine, are you getting the picture yet? it takes time and effort so if you dont put anything into it you wont get anything out of it.
    Ahh I get what you mean now. Will start doing 5x5 till I reach my bodyweight in bench then concentrate on gaining mass. I know this is mainly down to effort and other outliers, but how much should I be expecting to increase the weight by every fortnight or month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)

Genuinely thought you werent funny

Whats up with so many people in this forum having such poor excuses for humor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Genuinely thought you werent funny

Whats up with so many people in this forum having such poor excuses for humor
    Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    To press alot you have to press alot.

Find out your one rep max or there abouts and bench three times a week at either 5 reps @ 80% or 3 reps at 85% and very gradually add a rep or some buscits to the end of the bar.

Make sure your technique is spot on, elbows under the bar at all times

ReputationRep:
    you could maybe switch to dumbell bench if you really want to squeeze out the last few reps, if you do it right it cant really fall and injure yourself like the bar would

ReputationRep:
    about the expensive food, you could buy store brand canned food from sainsburys and tesco, can of tuna is about 60p it has 20 grams of protein in it so you could buy 2 to make up your 40 gram protein intake (you probably wont be able to absorb more protein then this because you dont have that much muscle mass to begin with) or corned beef is another good alternative. Also i find it really helps to eat a big amount of protein as your first meal when you wake up on your rest days, that lets your body really absorb alot of it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.