Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossAltan)
    What would an examiner base your marks on in a personal reflective essay?

(The one that lasts 1 hour and 15 minutes in the exam)

Tips and advice for how to write a good one?
    Sorry, what exam's this exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Standard Grade English I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Basically the main thing they are looking for is emotive and descriptive language. This might help: http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learni...glish/writing/

ReputationRep:
    Effectivness

ReputationRep:
    Having done a person reflective in last year's Standard Grade exam, I know what situation you're in: I can fully empathise.

Basically, the formula (whether or not you are a formulaic person) is: insight + structure + accuracy + techniques + reflection+ humour.

They're all equally important I guess, but personally I made sure to emphasise in my exam, the reflection and insight. They're both tremendously significant! For example, for 'reflection' you would use things like: "personally" "in my opinion" "it seems to me" " thinking back now" and such! Remember to do that throughout!

For insight you have to be thoughtful basically. For example, if a question was (the question which I did for 2010 standard grade paper) was (in rough words): State a lesson which you were taught but did not listen to. So you would say throughout your essay what you were taught, why you didn't lesson, the consequences, and finally, what would've happened had you listened, in the future(insight!!!). If you didn't listen to "work harder for exams", your insight would have been: I would have had better exam results, had achieved something, had made parents proud, better chances at job in the future with economic meltdown (perhaps you could expand on that and the difficulties as it is!), succeeded in something to remember in the future? Those are merely examples, but like I said before, you should be able to get where I'm at.

Overall, insight is magnificently important, it shows thoughts and basically reflection as well: the competance of the writer!

Techniques like metaphors, similes are good too and exaggerations (hyperboles)! You could have said: Our teacher was again saying why we should work hard for exams; perhaps for the thousandth time, and it really was sucking the life out of us, like a really painful and annoying leech: our teacher was, per usual, undeniably irritating.

Complex sentence structure! Try and use semi-colons( ; ) (separate long items in list and after thought as shown when I used it in the above example about the teacher!), colon( : ) (to introduce a list or something to elaborate on previous thing), use a list, elipsis (... at end of sentence) (gives that sense of lingering on), climax (very good one by the way!) (basically it's when you build up to something: I bought this, this, this and this, and most importantly, I bought the ps3!!!). Short sentence gives dramatic effect. Long sentence is good to show the complexity of your thoughts perhaps (in personal reflective so amazing!). Also a sentence without a verb gives great effect: He wielded it. The axe. (note how second sentence has no verb, simply an axe.)
    One long sentence paragraphs are brilliant, as are short ones especially for effect!

Accuracy should be good now, would be a bad mistake to misspell words!

Structure of sentences too. Mistake: "I bought the jumper. He took me to the house. The jumper was nice and expensive." Sentence structure comes after practice, quite easy but at first always hard.

Ooh also very, very important for me was, humour. Honestly, humour is lovely in personal reflective. It should be funny, so it pulls the reader in! Obviously the teacher wouldn't really care how awesome your life is, I'm sure he's dying to get his pay (I'm only joking of course!). Humour all the way. Crack jokes but remember personal reflective is still an essay, so it shouldn't be offensive or unprofessional or anything of that sort.

Also, you might want to make it informal, use of 'it's' instead of 'it is'. Adds a sense of personallity!

And avoid 'also' (how ironic I've been using it throughout!) like the plague! Use instead: In addition, moreover, furthermore. Contrast: However, whereas.

Plenty of those, try and incorporate them togethor as well!

Good luck, and remember to read over at the end of the exam!
    Remember:insight + structure + accuracy + techniques + reflection+ humour

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.