Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a bit of advice here, as i haven't built a machine in a long time. Thinking after the christmas period to get myself a PC, as my laptops not quite cutting it. Biggest use is going to be playing a huge amount of football manager, so a lot of ram, and processing power is obviously good... graphics less important, don't really need a high end card (though HDMI output would be useful). Big HDD is preferable too, as i'll be hooking it up to my tv more than likely, so i can watch films off of it.

Anyway, first thing i'll say is i'm in Ireland, so it might limit a little where i can get stuff from (i know places like ebuyer ship for components, they are who i usually use, but not sure about anywhere else). Budget is approximately £600 (700 euro), though if i can save a bit on that, it would be cool.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5718683...html?itag=3894 is what i'm looking at in the way of prebuilt towers. Seems reasonable for what i'm going to be doing on there, and once i add the OS, will be around my budget . I'm no stranger to putting my own tower together though, so wondered how much better i could get for my money if i was to build my own. Wont bother if its only a few quid, but wondered if anyone has any ideas for a build round that price?

ReputationRep:
    buildbuildbuild!

you'll be able to get a lot better for your money.

And with regards to football manager, if that's your only prospective gaming use, it's really not that demanding a game I don't think. 4GB RAM should be fine, and an Intel i5 CPU or AMD equivalent. Worth waiting until early next year because the new Intel chips are coming out.

My advise is, wait around a month or so until all the new Intel chips are out, then post back and see what everyone on here says with regard to component choices, as price and performance of the new chips isn't certain yet.

ReputationRep:
    off of it -> off it*

Anyway, build it! You can get so much more for your money. At least look at overclockers and see what custom builds they have to offer at the moment if you don't want to build one yourself. As said above, massive price changes going to happen after Intel's new chips are out in the coming months. If you can wait, then do!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, will be January before i get it (spending the post-crimbo bonus on it), so i know prices will be better. Am in no rush for it really, so happy to wait till then.

Overclockers is a good call, at least for pre built machines, never really looked into overclocked machines before.

With football manager, i want to play huge databases, so most likely would eat into ram and processor a fair bit. Not really looked into what would be best for it, so just looking for a good all rounder

The reason i ask the question in the first place though, is when i compare components with prebuilds, they always seem to come out pretty close on price. Don't know if i'm missing something, but not seeing a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    off of it -> off it*

Anyway, build it! You can get so much more for your money. At least look at overclockers and see what custom builds they have to offer at the moment if you don't want to build one yourself. As said above, massive price changes going to happen after Intel's new chips are out in the coming months. If you can wait, then do!
    Not really.
    The prices (see the i7 950 for example) of the chips which aren't getting ditched as soon as the sandy bridge ones are out have already moved.
    On a £600 budget, you could maybe manage a core i5-7500K and a gigabyte P67-UD3 or one of MSI's P67 motherboards.

Basically though, I agree with the poster above. Wait til january. (January 9th to be precise).

ReputationRep:
    i bought a decent comp for gaming for 350 quid from currys, was refurbed though but it has been great so far

3.0Ghz dual (AMD)
    4gb Ram
    500gb HD

and a decent graphics card.

I was tied between PC/Laptop and a decent laptop would cost me 700+ where as a computer better than the laptop is much cheaper.

I would have built my own but knowing me I'd have broken iit

ReputationRep:
    Better to buy a refurb and then upgrade graphics card yourself.

I bought a HP6109 and did that. Cost me less than £500 and Windows 7 runs like a beast and I play COD and everything on my PC.

I've never had a problem at all with it and I even got comet care thrown in for 3 years as part of the deal as they were trying to ship it as newer models were coming in.

Always, Always try and broker a deal when its a refurb as they usually want to just get rid. Even if they make £20 on it then its out of their stock room, its better than nothing and they make more than enough money elsewhere for it to be significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Better to buy a refurb and then upgrade graphics card yourself.

I bought a HP6109 and did that. Cost me less than £500 and Windows 7 runs like a beast and I play COD and everything on my PC.

I've never had a problem at all with it and I even got comet care thrown in for 3 years as part of the deal as they were trying to ship it as newer models were coming in.

Always, Always try and broker a deal when its a refurb as they usually want to just get rid. Even if they make £20 on it then its out of their stock room, its better than nothing and they make more than enough money elsewhere for it to be significant.
    Except that pre-builds (especially HP/Dell) are generally made of the sort of parts nobody who knows anything about computers would touch with a 10 foot pole.
    The ones which aren't are generally tremendously expensive for what you get.
    My desktop cost £1000 14 months ago, but it is STILL just as fast as a £2000 dell XPS. I also won't have to throw pretty much all of it away when it comes time to replace it.

Out of curiosity, what was the spec of your HP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Except that pre-builds (especially HP/Dell) are generally made of the sort of parts nobody who knows anything about computers would touch with a 10 foot pole.
    The ones which aren't are generally tremendously expensive for what you get.
    My desktop cost £1000 14 months ago, but it is STILL just as fast as a £2000 dell XPS. I also won't have to throw pretty much all of it away when it comes time to replace it.

Out of curiosity, what was the spec of your HP?

Key Features

Form Factor Desktop
    Processor Intel Core 2 Quad
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    HDD Size 640 GB

Processor Number Q8200
    Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad
    Processor Manufacturer Intel
    Memory
    Installed RAM 4 GB
    Installed Video Memory 512 MB
    Installed Cache Memory 1 MB

I've upgraded the graphics card now though.

It runs fast as hell with loads of programs open - Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, CAD, Soundbooth etc

The windows experience rating on it is high for everything now. Not far off being perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Key Features

Form Factor Desktop
    Processor Intel Core 2 Quad
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    HDD Size 640 GB

Processor Number Q8200
    Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad
    Processor Manufacturer Intel
    Memory
    Installed RAM 4 GB
    Installed Video Memory 512 MB
    Installed Cache Memory 1 MB

I've upgraded the graphics card now though.

It runs fast as hell with loads of programs open - Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, CAD, Soundbooth etc

The windows experience rating on it is high for everything now. Not far off being perfect.
    Hate to break it to you, but at £500 you were ripped off.
    I built a system to almost exactly the same spec, but sold it pre-overclocked to 3.4Ghz, with really nice high-end ballistix memory, an ATI 4670 (not half bad actually) and an OCZ stealthxstream 500W psu.
    I sold it at a healthy profit for £600. With a 19" 1440x900 LCD.
    In april of 2009.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Hate to break it to you, but at £500 you were ripped off.
    I built a system to almost exactly the same spec, but sold it pre-overclocked to 3.4Ghz, with really nice high-end ballistix memory, an ATI 4670 (not half bad actually) and an OCZ stealthxstream 500W psu.
    I sold it at a healthy profit for £600. With a 19" 1440x900 LCD.
    In april of 2009.
    I got a 27 inch monitor with mine though

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CEgQ8wIwAw#

which will be going along to university with me

ReputationRep:
    DinoPC.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.