Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blackberry Pearl 9105 - Use without internet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I'm using an Orange phone contract under my mum's name.
    This contract is due for a phone upgrade, but as I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 4 on a separate contract tomorrow, i'd like to upgrade to a Blackberry Pearl 9105 so that my mum can use it (and then I can use it in the future if I need to).
    My mum only uses phones for calling and texting, so is it possible to keep my price tariff as it is (200 minutes and unlimited texts for £10.50 per month) and just upgrade to the phone without any internet bundle?
    If I do use it in the future, would I be able to change the contract/add a bundle to use the internet on the phone?

Sorry if this is confusing!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Yeah without an internet bundle, you can use it as a normal phone. Make sure to turn off any data services though to make sure that you don't accidentally rack up a big bill for data. Obviously the phone will be locked to Orange so your Mum would need to be on Orange too, unless you got the phone unlocked.

Orange will most likely do some form of BlackBerry bolt-on (and will definitely have a BlackBerry contract) if you wanted to upgrade to that later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    Yeah without an internet bundle, you can use it as a normal phone. Make sure to turn off any data services though to make sure that you don't accidentally rack up a big bill for data. Obviously the phone will be locked to Orange so your Mum would need to be on Orange too, unless you got the phone unlocked.

Orange will most likely do some form of BlackBerry bolt-on (and will definitely have a BlackBerry contract) if you wanted to upgrade to that later on.
    Thanks for your help!

Would it be easy to turn off the data services? (Do you turn them off via the phone settings?)

Also, would I have to wait until my mum's phone is eligible for an upgrade before I could change the contract and use the phone (with internet) myself?

Because the contract is under my mum's name, and I will be taking out a new contract with Orange, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks again x

ReputationRep:
    You may well be able to update the tariff mid-contract to add BlackBerry internet services, but that's a question for Orange

To turn off data usage, go to Options -> Mobile network and set 'Data Services' to Off (or something along those lines)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    You may well be able to update the tariff mid-contract to add BlackBerry internet services, but that's a question for Orange

To turn off data usage, go to Options -> Mobile network and set 'Data Services' to Off (or something along those lines)
    I'm going into the Orange shop tomorrow, so I will ask about updating the tariff mid-contract then.

Thanks for your help regarding the data usage! If I have any problems with it, I will leave another post on here! x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.