Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I emailed NKU, my ideal university in USA, and I asked them about entry requirements and loans, and they replied with

'Students are required to be financially able to afford studies in the US before an I-20 is issued, therefore, while it is possible for you to obtain a loan, you would need to do that independently.'

I come from a poor background. I don't have the money. I thought I would be able to take a loan from the university.

Where do I take a loan from? England? USA?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    UK students can't get loans in the US and will no be financially supported by the UK. You have to have all the money for the course and living cost in your bank account before you go and they check this to prove it. There for you would need to have about £30, 000 in your account or you can't go. It is very expensive and there is noway around it...you either have the money or you can forget about studying in the US.

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Oh and you will have to pay International Student fees which are waaay higher than the already sky high US fees...so about $40, 000 per year for you

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked if they have scholarships/bursaries?

ReputationRep:
    What was said above is right.
    you could ask the university for scholarships available to foreign students?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to live in Kentucky? Seriously. It's a **** state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Have you asked if they have scholarships/bursaries?
    I'm predicted a BCC, (My AS's were messed up )so no scholarship for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)
    I'm predicted a BCC, (My AS's were messed up )so no scholarship for me.
    Oh
    I haven't heard of that uni, have you applied to any others? I guess it's only the big ones like Harvard which do needs-blind admissions/give scholarships to everyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 100% sure you will have to sit SATs, so your A-levels won't matter i don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    I'm 100% sure you will have to sit SATs, so your A-levels won't matter i don't think.
    yeah you would have the sit SATS aswell as do your A-Levels....you should really just go to a UK uni then do a year of your course in the USA...that way you only pay the UK fee etc....much better for you really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH6097)
    yeah you would have the sit SATS aswell as do your A-Levels....you should really just go to a UK uni then do a year of your course in the USA...that way you only pay the UK fee etc....much better for you really
    yes I have considered that

It's just that it was my dream to study at Brown, but *something* got in the way, and my grades fell, so I opted for NKU and now it's about the money :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)

It's just that it was my dream to study at Brown, but *something* got in the way, and my grades fell, so I opted for NKU and now it's about the money :|
    Well good luck with whatever you choose to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)

Have you thought about applying to a cheaper school- like, much cheaper, and then transferring after the first year to Brown? Or atleast trying to transfer? You might be able to get scholarships then, I'm not sure.

And are there any competitions you can do to get scholarship money? i.e essay contests. I'm not sure how common they are over there, but at my school there would occasionally be opportunities for that. The topic would usually be something silly, but worth a shot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsss)
    Hate to break it to you, but she's right.

ReputationRep:
    I think Brown give out 100% scholarships/fund everyone who gets in and can't afford it though, which could be better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcstaticMuse)
    Hate to break it to you, but she's right.

(Original post by catsss)

Don't be hatin' on Kentucky. Cute girls and home of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I think Brown give out 100% scholarships/fund everyone who gets in and can't afford it though, which could be better for you.
    Only US citizens would be financially aided....if they even do that...and most US Universities don't

ReputationRep:
    Only US citizens would be financially aided....if they even do that...and most US Universities don't
    Oh must just be Harvard then, I remember hearing it on all the news channels about Harvard funding everyone when the reporters were claiming that everyone was going to go abroad instead of paying the higher UK tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    How come the average US student debt on graduation is only £15K then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    How come the average US student debt on graduation is only £15K then?
    Because most people will go to in-state unis, where tuition is only £2k.

I'm on a state scholarship scheme so I don't pay anything. But even if I had to pay it would be £1.5k a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.