Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't sent off my application as of yet but this is what I'm considering:

AS Photography
    AS Media Studies
    AS Film Studies
    AS Graphics

I want to get into visual/special effects either in the TV or Film industry or do photography of some sort but I'm not sure if I should take a 5th more academic subject like maths or even critcal thinking as they are both 100% examination OR drop one of the subjects I've already mentioned for said subject. I'm afraid that if I take 5 then it will be too much considering the courses I'm taking all include coursework.

Any personal experience or advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine Media Studies and Film Studies have a lot of overlap, so maybe swap one of those for maths or a language or something, if you're worried about having a traditional subject. Perhaps Art History, if your school/college offers it, as it's both relevant to you and respected.

ReputationRep:
    I'd swap Film studies for an English, whether it's Lit,Lang or combined.
    and graphics for something like a language,History or even Drama.
    You could easily change your mind about what career you want, so don't restrict yourself.

ReputationRep:
    After looking at lots of university websites and their courses I've found out that the actual area that I'm interested in is Computer Science.

Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics
    History of Arts / Computing / Electronics

I just don't know what to choose apart from maths/further and physics, does it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiestar)
    After looking at lots of university websites and their courses I've found out that the actual area that I'm interested in is Computer Science.

Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics
    History of Arts / Computing / Electronics

I just don't know what to choose apart from maths/further and physics, does it really matter?
    I do all three. The overlap is funny. Wednesdays I have Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I just do the same thing three times in one day.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to look into specific course requirements but I would think that, for a course like graphic design, having a decent portfolio would be more important than your A Level subjects. Especially as a lot of schools/colleges don't offer photography or graphics at A Level.

ReputationRep:

AS Photography
    AS Media Studies
    AS Film Studies
    AS Graphics

I want to get into visual/special effects either in the TV or Film industry or do photography of some sort but I'm not sure if I should take a 5th more academic subject like maths or even critcal thinking as they are both 100% examination OR drop one of the subjects I've already mentioned for said subject. I'm afraid that if I take 5 then it will be too much considering the courses I'm taking all include coursework.

If you take Theatre Studies you can choose to focus more of visuals than the actual acting and English Literature is also very useful also. Drama is a huge part of visual effects so understanding the drama aspects using theatre studies or english lit would take you far

ReputationRep:
    In addition to maths/further and physics I've decided to do computing aswell. From checking a few prospectus' from different universities, they say that M/FM is essential whilst physics is prefered and CS/computing is useful. Thanks for all that helped mind, my OP is almost usless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani-Insanity)
    I do all three. The overlap is funny. Wednesdays I have Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I just do the same thing three times in one day.
    which unit are you doing in maths? surely for it to overlap you would need to be going M1, M2 and Mechanics, assuming you're studying AS.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to maths/further and physics I've decided to do computing aswell. From checking a few prospectus' from different universities, they say that M/FM is essential whilst physics is prefered and CS/computing is useful.
    If you want to do computer science make sure that your school/ sixth form does the Decision/ Discrete maths modules aka D modules as they concentrate on Computer Science whereas the others don't really touch on it as much if ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifesabeach)
    which unit are you doing in maths? surely for it to overlap you would need to be going M1, M2 and Mechanics, assuming you're studying AS.
    Yeah I am. It's pretty ridiculous. Especially considering how much I actually hate physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani-Insanity)
    If you want to do computer science make sure that your school/ sixth form does the Decision/ Discrete maths modules aka D modules as they concentrate on Computer Science whereas the others don't really touch on it as much if ever.
    Yeah the Further Maths I'm taking includes Decision modules.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Further Maths I'm taking includes Decision modules.
    I thought you wanted to take more of the art subjects than the academics

ReputationRep:

AS Photography
    AS Media Studies
    AS Film Studies
    AS Graphics

Please tell me this is a joke...

I take five A-Levels: English Literature, History, Mathematics, Economics & Politics. With the choices listed above, you could probably take another 6 A-Levels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)

I take five A-Levels: English Literature, History, Mathematics, Economics & Politics. With the choices listed above, you could probably take another 6 A-Levels...
    I thought the same thing tbh. Someone at my school wasn't allowed to do Media Studies, Photography and Film Studies because the Head considered them not even good enough to be equivalent to half an A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)

Yeah... I was an idiot for not researching beforehand as well as I should have done. Then I found computer science... it just has everything I seem interested in and lots of courses which keep my options open and give me time to think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I was an idiot for not researching beforehand as well as I should have done. Then I found computer science... it just has everything I seem interested in and lots of courses which keep my options open and give me time to think.
    Computer science would require traditional subjects, i.e. Mathematics, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Well, OP, your initial choice of subjects was abysmal in every way, but with maths, further maths, physics and another subject, you are on the right track. Err, I hope you're good at mathematics, in any case. If you think you're good enough for double maths, the reason you were even considering THAT combination eludes me. Double maths and physics also keeps your options open by allowing you to consider Physics and Engineering degrees, so it's a great choice.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is one of my favoruite subjects I've done the full GCSE now but at the moment I only know what I got for half which is an A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.