Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen this? Sorry if posted already... just seems like pretty huge news if it actually is possible!

"On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Link here

ReputationRep:
    Isn't science brilliiant?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like encouraging news! But I'll wait to see if they can repeat the results before jumping for joy.

ReputationRep:
    Woo, Time to spread the love.....

ReputationRep:
    ahh very good

it's amazing what good use dead babies can be put to!

ReputationRep:
    amazing news!

though, kinda wish the article was a bit "longer". :erm: i wonder why it isn't on the bbc news website...

ReputationRep:
    Let's wait to see it replicated.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible. But I imagine the hell he went through having pretty much his entire body irradiated could put plenty of people off. Hopefully better treatments will come out of this.

ReputationRep:
    I not sure about Fox News but this was the only article I could find that went into a bit of detail..
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/1...ll-transplant/

ReputationRep:
    Also: I read that the doctors said he was cured because he hasn't shown any symptoms of HIV since treatment, but does this mean he could still pass it on to someone else? If not, go science!

ReputationRep:
    Human progress, what will they think of next?

ReputationRep:
    This guy had leukaemia and HIV ? Hm
    woot for science now diabetes to nail ....

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine this kind of news would of been in every newspapers if this is true :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Looks like encouraging news! But I'll wait to see if they can repeat the results before jumping for joy.
    I have to agree with you, although looks like a bright start to the new year!

ReputationRep:
    Stem cells are brilliant, can cure just about anything as they can grow into any cell, help regrow limbs, grow additional limbs, make you a mutant, whatever

Stem cells = The Chuck Norris of science. They can do anything

Scientists are pure morons for ignoring / not paying more attention to them, they're in all of us, people, Bone marrow ftw.

ReputationRep:
    No it hasn't. Did anyone notice at the bottom it said, "these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found" while the headline says the opposite. Trust the media to hype things up.

I've read the research article and its findings are insufficient to conclude a cure. HIV acts by destroying CD4 cells (type of white blood cells) which are responsible for immunity/fighting disease etc. Leukaemia is a cancer of white blood cells. Stem cells enable new cells to develop. In this guy stem cells were used to grow the CD4 cells thus replacing the cells destroyed by HIV and providing a relative(key word) decrease in the viral reservoir. This does not mean the HIV virus has been eliminated. It does not mean the HIV virus cannot spread. HIV may just be lying dormant.

A cure for HIV would mean HIV vaccines that would prevent a person getting HIV. At the very least, more trials are needed to establish a correlation between a decreased viral reservoir following new CD4 cell development because there appears no physiological connection between cells for Leukaemia and HIV. This seems more of a treatment option for Leukaemia, rather than a cure for HIV.

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed this hasn't been more widely reported. It's a great development, but obviously we need to see more than one example before getting too excited.

ReputationRep:
    Its truly remarkable is this. Whilst yes, it may not "cure" HIV, it may severely reduce the chances of HIV turning in to AIDS ie: so that you can live well in to your 70s and 80s, before you get AIDS

Still doesn't mean that you shouldn't use protection though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueblood18)
    No it hasn't. Did anyone notice at the bottom it said, "these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found" while the headline says the opposite. Trust the media to hype things up.

I've read the research article and its findings are insufficient to conclude a cure. HIV acts by destroying CD4 cells (type of white blood cells) which are responsible for immunity/fighting disease etc. Leukaemia is a cancer of white blood cells. Stem cells enable new cells to develop. In this guy stem cells were used to grow the CD4 cells thus replacing the cells destroyed by HIV and providing a relative(key word) decrease in the viral reservoir. This does not mean the HIV virus has been eliminated. It does not mean the HIV virus cannot spread. HIV may just be lying dormant.

A cure for HIV would mean HIV vaccines that would prevent a person getting HIV. At the very least, more trials are need to establish a correlation between a decreased viral reservoir following new CD4 cell development because there appears no physiological connection between cells for Leukaemia and HIV. This seems more of a treatment option for Leukaemia, rather than a cure for HIV.
    I think we'd all agree that by no means is this a cure in the sense that other's will be able to be quickly 'cured' of HIV, rather that it is a massive step towards curing HIV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    I think we'd all agree that by no means is this a cure in the sense that other's will be able to be quickly 'cured' of HIV, rather that it is a massive step towards curing HIV.
    True. Actually, I was just about to edit my post to say it could even be a cure depending on how some smart guy interprets the result. It is possible that the receptor type of HIV has mutated while inside the old CD4(reverse transcriptase increases this likelihood) cells such that it no longer binds to the receptor of the new CD4 cells making the HIV impotent. If in the future, you see a cure for HIV along these lines then you'll know where you first heard it lol.

My point was that the evidence itself is really not that great(merely anecdotal) though the result is encouraging. It is a matter how the evidence is interpreted though. It's a good development nonetheless. I'm just practising critiquing a research article lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.