Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 now, but from X age -17 I was groomed on the internet. I turned to the internet because I was lonely being gay, I didn't have many friends and I didn't like my family much. I hated everything about myself, how I looked, how I talked, who I was. I went on internet chat rooms and found guys I thought were my age, as they showed me pictures of who they were pretending to be. We chatted, they said I was an amazing person and beautiful and I need to be told that again and again because it made me feel so good, I thought these were people just like me who understood me. I went on webcam for them (naked) and arranged to meet some of them, though I never did because I was too scared. In May thus year my mum somehow got into my msn and saw everything that had gone on (I didn't know my conversations were being saved on my computer) and blamed me for it all.

She virtually didn't speak to me for a month. 3 months later she said she was over it, but she isn't, because a month after that when I asked if I could go to the cinema with friends she said no, I asked why and she said "Why do you think I can't trust you after what you did?" This has now set an enormous rift in the house, she doesn't talk about it but I can't stand to be in the same room as her and I'm never allowed to do anything or go anywhere. Sometimes I don't even bother asking because I know she'll say the same thing.

I never caused her any trouble at all. I was always home on time for everything, I never drank, smoked or did drugs, I never got involved with the wrong crowd, I never beat anyone up or stole anything. My social life is now non existent.

I hate living here because she doesn't trust me at all, quizzes what I've done, where I've been and who I've talked to and makes me account for every second of my day. She's not just being protective, she makes it her mission to take the moral high ground at every opportunity she can and I know she hasn't forgiven me for it. I'm not allowed to take a 10 minute train by myself because "God knows who you're meeting behind my back". I had to give up my boyfriend who's my age who lives 40 minutes away, because I'm not allowed to go there and see him, and he can't come here because I need to account for every moment of my day and she'd see me with him.

Just a rant really, I don't know what I'm expecting to achieve from this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    I'm 17 now, but from X age -17 I was groomed on the internet. I turned to the internet because I was lonely being gay, I didn't have many friends and I didn't like my family much. I hated everything about myself, how I looked, how I talked, who I was. I went on internet chat rooms and found guys I thought were my age. as they showed me pictures of who they were pretending to be. We chatted, I went on webcam for them (naked) and arranged to meet some of them, though I never did because I was too scared. My mum somehow got into my msn and saw everything that had gone on (I didn't know my conversations were being saved on my computer) and blamed me for it all.

She virtually didn't speak to me for a month. 3 months later she said she was over it, but she isn't, because a month after that when I asked if I could go to the cinema with friends she said no, I asked why and she said "Why do you think I can't trust you after what you did?" This has now set an enormous rift in the house, she doesn't talk about it but I can't stand to be in the same room as her and I'm never allowed to do anything or go anywhere. Sometimes I don't even bother asking because I know she'll say the same thing.

I hate living here because she doesn't trust me at all, quizzes what I've done, where I've been and who I've talked to and makes me account for every second of my day. She's not just being protective, she makes it her mission to take the moral high ground at every opportunity she can and I know she hasn't forgiven me for it. I'm not allowed to take a 10 minute train by myself because "God knows who you're meeting behind my back". I had to give up my boyfriend who's my age who lives 40 minutes away because I'm not allowed to go there and see him and he can't come here because I need to account for every moment of my day.

Just a rant really, I don't know what I'm expecting to achieve from this.
    I didn't know any 17 year old would have to ask his mum for permission to go to the cinema, surely at 17 you're TELLING your mum?

But anyway, just make sure you get into a uni that's far away and you'll only have to put up with her for a year longer

ReputationRep:
    http://dartemis.net/r_g_graves/images/nelson-haha.gif

ReputationRep:
    :console:

It wasn't your fault. Your mum, like most parents, cannot comprehend how circumstances can force you into these situations, especially not when the issue holds such gravity. She was worried and is punishing you for whatever terrible thing might have happened if the grooming continued.

Sorry for the crap advice. It must be hard when it's not just one thing. All these factors crashing down on you. Do you have anyone you can speak to? I really hope that you find some way to alleviate the stress and horredness of your situation. No one deserves to feel that way. Grhh this advice is all crap.

Just...put up with the it until you find a feasable way. Xx

ReputationRep:
    Chin up mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)
    I didn't know any 17 year old would have to ask his mum for permission to go to the cinema, surely at 17 you're TELLING your mum?
    r
    My friends and boyfriends get so angry with me that I can't go anywhere, I've been dumped several times because I'm not allowed to do anything or go anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Try putting yourself in your mums shoes, clearly she really loves you and cares about you, all she wants is to protect you from harm, okay you maybe you think ' I'm 17 now and I can protect myself blah blah blah blah' but really your just a ignorant child who is clearly only considering himself and not your mums feelings. Of course she's going to to be angry still, finding out that her son is being groomed by people from internet for years who could have been peadephiles, murderers, weird creeepy people and so on, your life was on the line mate. Well maybe in your mums mind, so now just get on with life and when you feel that her anger has died down, talk to her, why you did what you did, the internet and everything, at least when your leaving for uni or whatever your relationship with your mum is better and grow onwards.

She just being your mum. If i was your mum i would have woop your ass and ban you from EVERYTHING.

At least you have a mum that cares.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.