Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hamsters & Mice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanting some advice and opinions really.

At the moment I have 2 geckos, some land snails and some fish but am really considering getting a hamster or a few mice. I used to have a long haired hamster but he died a while back, but I'm think that mice (as you can keep more than one in the same cage) would be better.

I know you can keep quite a few rats together but is this the same for mice? Also what are the benefits and whatnot of both?
    I'd love the intelligence of rats too but I'm not as interested.

Thanks in advance guys.

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely recommend hamsters why don't you try searching for hamster/mice forums? I use the hamster central and there is probably one for mice as well. The people there will be able to give you lots of information

ReputationRep:
    Mice absolutely STINK. Seriously. But they are fun to watch.

Hamsters - much less smelly. I reccomend a Russian dwarf hamster, I've had mine for about a year now and she is the sweetest thing ever. Never bitten, very tame and friendly (obviously you could be unlucky and get a little devil that bites you!)

Gerbils - The most enjoyable in my opinion. I have two boys, and they are gorgeous. They are diurnal, so unlike hamsters come out during the day, don't particularly smell, and don't need quite as much attention as rats, as long as you give them plenty to do. My gerbils are brothers and so have been with each other since birth, which lessens the risk of them fighting, and so far they have been fine.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted a mouse for xmas but no can have

ReputationRep:
    Mice really smell bad. I have a Syrian hamster, she's like a big teddy bear. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I have mice which I keep on aubiose. I clean the litter tray two or three times a week and do a full cage clean two or 3 times a month.
    If you keep them on something absorbent the smell shouldn't be an issue.

for me personally:

I don't like hamsters because I just don't like keeping single animals.

I really enjoy gerbils, they are very low maintenence and very entertaining but they seem to always want more space or to escape and I end up feeling cruel keeping them. One of my girls died recently and I definitely won't be getting more when the other passes.

Mice, on the other hand :love:, you can keep adding to a group with no problems - I know people with groups of up to 30! I have three together, it was five until a few days ago and I'll be getting some more soon.
    They don't need a huge amount of space (I keep my group in a 3ftx2ft cage with some shelves), are really entertaining, don't cost much to keep, can become very very tame and are all around cuties!

ReputationRep:
    get mice!!!!! i love them!you can keep them together if they came from the same place and they are the same sex.although girls tend to have more fights then boys.sometimes i have put together boys,who came form different places and they got along,although that was rare.

mice are very intelligent,they like to be around people and there s not much trouble with keeping them.they are small so it is easy to catch them and they dont make so much noise. the only problem with them is that they are living for quite a short period of ttime.and by time you would get known their personality and start to love them and get attached to them for who they are,they die.

of course also they have a typical smell,like any other animal does.Boys are more smelly then girls and spotted and black mice are more smelly than grey and white generally speaking.

ReputationRep:
    if its just the idea of wanting to keep more than one together I think most types of dwarf hamsters can live together. my Russian ones did with the only problems being one used to want lots of attention off the other one when it wasn't really interested.
    I don't know anything about mice though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ptrsoos)
    get mice!!!!! i love them!you can keep them together if they came from the same place and they are the same sex.although girls tend to have more fights then boys.sometimes i have put together boys,who came form different places and they got along,although that was rare.
    are you from the UK? I know mice in Europe are quite different to the ones in the US so wasn't sure...
    You can keep girls together from any litters, related or not, no matter what age range there is.
    Boys can end up fighting, it's better to try to get boys who have grown up together or who have been neutered if you want groups of boys.

mice are very intelligent,they like to be around people and there s not much trouble with keeping them.they are small so it is easy to catch them and they dont make so much noise. the only problem with them is that they are living for quite a short period of ttime.and by time you would get known their personality and start to love them and get attached to them for who they are,they die.
    I would disagree with them being easy to catch When they are a little older it's easy enough but I just got two babies and one of them is impossible to catch because she's so quick and will just leap out of your hands.
    also, they can live 2-3 years so it's not a ridiculously short time, although it is sad that they die so quickly

of course also they have a typical smell,like any other animal does.Boys are more smelly then girls and spotted and black mice are more smelly than grey and white generally speaking.
    I've never heard that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    well,any of the girls who came from different litters ended up fighting.that is my experience so far. i've been keeping mice for nearly 10 years now.actually it is funny that sometimes i separated them for a while and they tried to get back to each other,they tried so hard and after a while they started to fight again.. I ma from Hungary. I didnt knwo that mice are different in the US,sounds interesting.Wish I could experience that.You have to try to catch their tales. I love it when the babies are so quick and kinda jumpy.IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTTEEE!!! when you hold them you should try to grab their tails a bit too,of course u should not cause them pain. Well, for me two or 3 years are quite short.It jsut always feels like i got close to them,had two years and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    This is all really helpful thanks!!!

The main thing putting me off of mice now is the idea of how much they apparently smell.

I have also looked at the Russian Dwarf hamsters, and they look unbelievably cute but are they not really hard to catch???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniseed)
    The main thing putting me off of mice now is the idea of how much they apparently smell.
    they do smell more than other rodents but honestly, with regular cleaning and absorbent substrate, it shouldn't be an issue.
    My girls all wee in the same corner of the cage so I put a litter tray there and just tip it in to the kitchen bin every few days before the cage starts to smell.

If you don't clean them at all for a week it will smell though, so it depends how much effort you want to put in.

I used to keep them in my (windowless!) bedroom when I lived at my mums and never noticed them smell at all, even though we couldn't air out the room during the day.

ReputationRep:

I have also looked at the Russian Dwarf hamsters, and they look unbelievably cute but are they not really hard to catch???
    I've had 12 Russians, a right mixed bag of characters! Once they are used to you, which only takes a few days if you spend time and let them crawl around you, they can be very easy to handle. As long as you don't wake them up and make them grumpy I found that if I held my hand at the door, I'd end up with hamsters all over me!

We had a great one who would jump, grab hold on a finger and make her way up right to the top of my head. I had her from a baby cause my friend gave me a pregnant one, so she was used to humans literally from about 2 weeks old when we would take them out for a few minutes at a time then give them back to mum (who would actually come out to get them and take them back to the nest - talk about cute!).

As with all pets, there are some nasty ones. We had one that was extremely hard to handle - definitely on his terms. We've had ones that you could do absolutely anything to them should you wish and they just wouldnt care! On the whole I've found them to be great little pets to have! They're very good fun.

ReputationRep:

nop I used to be worried about putting mine on my bed or on the floor to run around because they looked like they ran around so fast in their cages! but as long as you don't actually walk off and leave them unattended when there not in their cage/ one of them plastic ball things there fine. Although both of mine usually seemed determined to jump off if they were on something high like a bed or sofa :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I definately think buying a Hamster is the way to go!!
    I've had Mice before, and though the Two Mice had to be kept seperately, my Sister's Female Mouse was a nasty little thing, whereas my Male Mouse was the most gorgeous, friendly little creature, Luck of the Draw I suppose with Them, as Both were treated with the same gentle handling, Both were fed the same etc
    I sadly lost my gorgeous little Female Syrian Hamster last week She was only 4 months old
    But I still have my Boy, He's a Syrian/Golden Hamster too, He's lush!! He's wicked, mega friendly and huge!! lol. I think it depends a lot on how gentle and compassionate you are with Them, my Hamsters are always spoilt rotten, but I dont 'bother' Them constantly, i.e. if my Hamster's half-asleep I leave Him be, I hate being bothered when I'm tired so I'm pretty sure the same goes for Them!! hehehe.
    I wouldn't suggest you get Russian or Dwarf-type Hamsters, as although They can be kept together and are very, very cute, They're mega fast and not as friendly or easy to handle as Syrian/Golden Hamsters - you definately need to be an experienced Hamster owner to be able to look after Russian or Dwarf-type Hamsters with no hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~)
    I definately think buying a Hamster is the way to go!!
    I've had Mice before, and though the Two Mice had to be kept seperately, my Sister's Female Mouse was a nasty little thing, whereas my Male Mouse was the most gorgeous, friendly little creature, Luck of the Draw I suppose with Them, as Both were treated with the same gentle handling, Both were fed the same etc
    I sadly lost my gorgeous little Female Syrian Hamster last week She was only 4 months old
    But I still have my Boy, He's a Syrian/Golden Hamster too, He's lush!! He's wicked, mega friendly and huge!! lol. I think it depends a lot on how gentle and compassionate you are with Them, my Hamsters are always spoilt rotten, but I dont 'bother' Them constantly, i.e. if my Hamster's half-asleep I leave Him be, I hate being bothered when I'm tired so I'm pretty sure the same goes for Them!! hehehe.
    I wouldn't suggest you get Russian or Dwarf-type Hamsters, as although They can be kept together and are very, very cute, They're mega fast and not as friendly or easy to handle as Syrian/Golden Hamsters - you definately need to be an experienced Hamster owner to be able to look after Russian or Dwarf-type Hamsters with no hassle

Aw I'm sorry to hear you lost you female hamster

Ok I'm definately going to go with the hamster now. Will get one when it starts to warm up I think. Do you know much about roborovski hamsters? They look so cute, but really quick.

ReputationRep:
    Aw I'm sorry to hear you lost you female hamster

Ok I'm definately going to go with the hamster now. Will get one when it starts to warm up I think. Do you know much about roborovski hamsters? They look so cute, but really quick.
    Thank You - She was lush, and such a Baby, usually my Hamsters/Mice live for 3 years or so x

Yes, Hamster is definately a good way to go
    I wouldn't go for Roborovski Hamsters as from what I've been told They're much like Russian Hamsters, though I'm not entirely sure so you shouldn't rule Them out incase They are perfect lol. But in my opinion Syrian/Golden Hamsters are the way to go
    Hope you find the perfect Pet anyways, please let us know all about your new Hamster when you get one!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    I have mice which I keep on aubiose. I clean the litter tray two or three times a week and do a full cage clean two or 3 times a month.
    If you keep them on something absorbent the smell shouldn't be an issue.

for me personally:

I don't like hamsters because I just don't like keeping single animals.

I really enjoy gerbils, they are very low maintenence and very entertaining but they seem to always want more space or to escape and I end up feeling cruel keeping them. One of my girls died recently and I definitely won't be getting more when the other passes.

Mice, on the other hand :love:, you can keep adding to a group with no problems - I know people with groups of up to 30! I have three together, it was five until a few days ago and I'll be getting some more soon.
    They don't need a huge amount of space (I keep my group in a 3ftx2ft cage with some shelves), are really entertaining, don't cost much to keep, can become very very tame and are all around cuties!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sorry, took me about 10 mins to recover from the cuteness of those pics :eek:

i was going to get a mouse for christmas but i cant get to the pet shop as my dad cant take me (he has cold) so im hopefully going to get one between christmas and new year of if i could just come and steal the one on the last pic that would be great

i have 11 syrian hamsters and they are adorable, 2 are pet shop bought at the other 9 are pups of the other two

ReputationRep:
    Thought about dwarf hamsters if you want more than one pet? I had a couple when I was young, and they were lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sorry, took me about 10 mins to recover from the cuteness of those pics :eek:

i was going to get a mouse for christmas but i cant get to the pet shop as my dad cant take me (he has cold) so im hopefully going to get one between christmas and new year of if i could just come and steal the one on the last pic that would be great

i have 11 syrian hamsters and they are adorable, 2 are pet shop bought at the other 9 are pups of the other two
    thanks they are fantastic pets.

I'd consider getting more than one if you want them, as they do better in groups. Also, because poorly bred mice commonly have tumors in later life, I'd look to see if there's a local breeder who should be breeding healthy babies before going to a pet shop.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.