Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Sarah writes “Dear Tony,

    I apologise for not getting in touch sooner. I’ve been so busy preparing for Christmas and organising Daddy’s funeral that I haven’t managed to visit the bank or contact the trustees of Daddy’s will. He’s given me a remainder interest in his entire estate (Mummy is to receive the income for the rest of her life), but I would much prefer the money to go into my own trust for the children. I’m touched by Daddy’s generosity, but I have plenty of money of my own. He was rather ‘old school’ and never did seem to grasp how financially successful his daughter had become!

    So, in order to progress things, I wish to formally record in this letter that I am transferring to you and Deborah ownership of my gold coin collection and my remainder interest from my father’s estate".

    The bit I am stuck on is whether Sarah can transfer the remainder interest given by her father and put it in trust for the children. What happens to the mother's income? Can't get my head around this one. Any help please.

    Yes, a remainder interest can be held on trust

    Mother's income isn't affected because its hers not Sarah's
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.