Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap car for under 21's to insure Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can anyone recommend any decent cars that are cheap to get insured on per month?
    and how much per month in insurance does it cost?

Depends on so many different factors. Find a car you like on Autotrader and whack your details in confused.com. Things you want to look for are a small engine, a small number of seats and doors, and a car that chavs wouldn't touch.

ReputationRep:
      I have a VW Lupo and that was alot cheaper than corsa/clio/ka/punot etc

only has 4 seats but it's a 1.4S 16V and only costs me £53 per month.

ReputationRep:
      classic cars tend to be a good bet if your main concern is just price of insurance (as well as, in my opinion, being more interesting); stuff like the old vw beetles, citroen 2cv, minis, small fiats (126, 500... even old shape pandas and unos)...and older land rovers ;D
      however...they are unlikely to be as safe & reliable as a newer car and...it's only a feasible option if you have somewhere secure like a garage to lock it up. i ought to know about the importance of security - my first car was a peugeot 205 diesel (which i adored) but i'd spotted and chased away a few youths trying to break into it on more than one occasion...

ones around a decade old (which would probably be your best bet as you're unlikely to have much money/or able to keep your first car pristine if new)? - cars like seat arosa 1.0, skoda fabia 1.2, fiat cinquecento/scicento 0.9, micra 1.0, vauxhall agila 1.0, toyota yaris 1.0, fiat panda 1.1.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      Depends on so many different factors. Find a car you like on Autotrader and whack your details in confused.com. Things you want to look for are a small engine, a small number of seats and doors, and a car that chavs wouldn't touch.
      They wont touch my car! BOYSH is my brother!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Goose)
      I have a VW Lupo and that was alot cheaper than corsa/clio/ka/punot etc

only has 4 seats but it's a 1.4S 16V and only costs me £53 per month.
      Why the hell am I getting quoted £6000+ then...

ReputationRep:
      It depends on a huge number of factors.

My Astra is 150£ ish a month, but that's with 1 years NCB and a SP30.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by markberry91)
      can anyone recommend any decent cars that are cheap to get insured on per month?
      and how much per month in insurance does it cost?
      It depends on quite a few factors, its best to look on auto trader for cars you are intested in and get peices off compare the market.com
      But nissan micras are quite cheap to insure (i have one). Fiat puntos are quite cheap to insure (i just wouldnt recommend getting one though because my old one was nothing but trouble). I found ka's were quite expencive to insure when i was looking at insurance prices.

ReputationRep:
      We couldn't possibly say, insurance quotes tend to be seemingly irrational.

Insurance groups and engine sizes are a good place to start. Then again you could find yourself getting cheaper quotes with a bigger engined saloon car as less 18 year olds right them off than they do 1.2 Corsa's.

www.confused.com
      www.moneysupermarket.com
      www.comparethemarket.com

are good places to start and get a rough indication. Insurance brokers can also be very good.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zakky)
      Why the hell am I getting quoted £6000+ then...
      Because you don't have a vagina.

ReputationRep:
      Insurance companies look at everything from postcodes and putting them in A-F groups to where you park your car at night.. I currently drive a 55 Plate C2 VTS and cost me just under £800 a year.. its cheaper paying annually, Admiral wants an extra 15% for paying monthly.. no thanks.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.