Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me some Martial Arts films/Anime with swords? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm needing to buy some Martial Arts DVDs as a Christmas present, but I have no idea where to start

The person I'm buying for is really huge on the whole thing, but he doesn't have that many, so really, I have a lot of choice. He said any new/old films would be fine...

As well as this, he really loves Anime that has swords, he's quite big on Bleach, but he has all the latest ones.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones for me to buy?

Thank you sooo much

ReputationRep:
    Ong Bak :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    Hero.

^ both have knives.

For, martial arts films, check out the famous dudes like Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung etc.

Does your friend like 80/90s movies from the west with people like Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    Hero.

^ both have knives.

For, martial arts films, check out the famous dudes like Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung etc.

Does your friend like 80/90s movies from the west with people like Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme?
    Ah thank you, well I recognise the name Tony Jaa, I think that's his favourite guy actually.

And he did say he like older films as well, I can't imagine why he wouldn't like western ones?
    I know he LOVED that film that was in the cinema not long ago, with cowboys and ninjas in it? Oh god I'm clueless...

ReputationRep:
    kill bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Ah thank you, well I recognise the name Tony Jaa, I think that's his favourite guy actually.

And he did say he like older films as well, I can't imagine why he wouldn't like western ones?
    I know he LOVED that film that was in the cinema not long ago, with cowboys and ninjas in it? Oh god I'm clueless...
    The western ones are waaaayyyyyyyyyyy different to the eastern ones since they're more hollywood with their explosions and guns..

ReputationRep:
    I'm needing to buy some Martial Arts DVDs as a Christmas present, but I have no idea where to start

The person I'm buying for is really huge on the whole thing, but he doesn't have that many, so really, I have a lot of choice. He said any new/old films would be fine...

As well as this, he really loves Anime that has swords, he's quite big on Bleach, but he has all the latest ones.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones for me to buy?

Thank you sooo much
    Sword of the stranger is a good anime movie =]

ReputationRep:
    The western ones are waaaayyyyyyyyyyy different to the eastern ones since they're more hollywood with their explosions and guns..
    I think it was called The Warriors Way? Or the Warrior or something?
    I don't know, just as long as there is crazy Martial Arts, he loves it. Although he is defo more into swords than he is guns

ReputationRep:
    I think it was called The Warriors Way? Or the Warrior or something?
    I don't know, just as long as there is crazy Martial Arts, he loves it. Although he is defo more into swords than he is guns
    The only movie with 'warrior' in the title is this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108281/

ReputationRep:
    The only movie with 'warrior' in the title is this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108281/
    No!
    I was right, The Warriors Way
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032751/

Thanks anyway

I have some good ideas now, and at least I'll have one or two I can buy

ReputationRep:
    Samurai champloo.

ReputationRep:
    I also recommend Sword of the Stranger- its really good and it has alot of sword action.

ReputationRep:
    'House of Flying Daggers' Is really good

I remember crying at the end of this I think im going to watch it again...

ReputationRep:
    Berserk is the first anime that comes to mind when mentioning swords, it's got an old medieval-esque setting and a bunch of horror elements (similar to Hellraiser actually), so if he's into those things it'll be right up his alley.

Martial Arts films I'm afraid I'm not very up on...except for the obvious Jet Li, Bruce Lee, and Jackie Chan flicks

ReputationRep:
    Bleach

ReputationRep:
    Enter the Dragon is an absolute classic.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many brilliant martial arts movies but unfortunately/fortunately they exist outside of Hollywood.

Check out the spectacular Ip Man-- if your friend is in to martial arts you cannot go wrong here. It's modern and has some of the best fight scenes I've seen.
    Once you're done with that, go back to the classics like Fist of Legend (Jet Li's finest), Police Story (Jackie Chan), Drunken Master 1/2 (Chan), everything from Bruce Lee, Fearless...

ReputationRep:
    Just get him Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann anime. He will like it, garunteed.

ReputationRep:
    Legend of The Fist was a good one I saw a few weeks back, but not sure when it's out on DVD/Blu-ray.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.