Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard various things about Games Programming courses and a lot of people argue that its better to do a computing science course undergraduate and then Msc in Games Tech.

I have difficulty concentrating when it comes to learning something I dont find interesting and I think I'd perform a lot better in a Games Tech course as it's something I'm Highly Interested in and I've heard Abertay has one of if not the best Games Courses in Britain.

How recommended are computing science courses compared to Games Tech for someone wishing to enter into the Games Industry?

also can you give any input as to how popular the course is and if I should expect to get into Games Tech at Abertay with , BCCC for physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths at Higher If I expect to get the following in my sixth year; A Higher Maths, A Higher Computing, B/C Advanced Higher Physics and C Higher History ?

The listed Requirements being AABB at Higher

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a 4rth year student at Abertay studying Computer Games Technology, I came across your post by accident while searching google =)

I can't imagine who would suggest a computing science degree followed by a masters, seems odd to me as the scope is far too wide on those courses. Mostly masters is pointless as long as you have a first or upper second honours degree.

I doubt you would get in with a BCCC but if you are aiming for AABC then you will probably get a conditional. If it comes to it tell them you'll go along to the Summer School for 3 weeks that will give you extra points.

The course is pretty popular though the introduction of a parallel course without any of the Maths or console development could change that. Not learning the Maths though wouldn't do you much good in the industry.

I got into the course with a BBBC Higher Maths, Physics, Computing and English.

On a final note trust me mate you will 'have difficulty concentrating' regardless of what course you do what with student unions, lassies and if you choose Abertay the countless chatter in the Labs.

I'll message you my email incase you have any more questions.

Dave

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.