Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate my hair. It gets long and fluffy quickly, in about 6 weeks, then I just get it cut short. It's such a standard look and being an average looking guy already, really doesn't make me stand out. Just an average, not ugly but plain guy.

What can I realistically do? If I got it styled/straightened, do you think it would greatly improve my look?

To get an improved look, will it take a lot of maintenance on my part?!

ReputationRep:
    a picture would be helpful
    how do you get it cut?

ReputationRep:
    My hair is majorly fluffy too, what I do is wash, blow dry, straighten, small bit of hair product then hairspray. You can judge what it looks like on my profile thing and cast your own opinion, but it is usually so fluffy to start with!

Edit: If you do look, I don't usually wear a hairband One off neon night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    a picture would be helpful
    how do you get it cut?
    I just go to a barbers. I generally get a bog standard 5 on the sides and back and either a 6 or cut with scissors on the top.

Until now I've kinda just accepted that I have **** hair and that every 6 or 7 weeks I will get just need to get it cut short.

I've never done anything to it myself whatsoever. To be honest, although I shower everyday I don't properly wash my hair that much. Is that why it's so fluffy?

If i straightened it, would that have to maintained daily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StardomGT)
    I just go to a barbers. I generally get a bog standard 5 on the sides and back and either a 6 or cut with scissors on the top.

Until now I've kinda just accepted that I have **** hair and that every 6 or 7 weeks I will get just need to get it cut short.

I've never done anything to it myself whatsoever. To be honest, although I shower everyday I don't properly wash my hair that much. Is that why it's so fluffy?

If i straightened it, would that have to maintained daily?
    i wouldn't think so because my hair is normally at its fluffiest when it's freshly washed

you could always try the whole straightening/product regime for a few days and see how you feel? borrow the necessary products from a cousin or whatever
    but you would probably need to wash/redo every day, which would take about 5-10 minutes with practice

i like the idea of short back and sides though have you got a fringe or is it just straight cut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    i wouldn't think so because my hair is normally at its fluffiest when it's freshly washed

you could always try the whole straightening/product regime for a few days and see how you feel? borrow the necessary products from a cousin or whatever
    but you would probably need to wash/redo every day, which would take about 5-10 minutes with practice

i like the idea of short back and sides though have you got a fringe or is it just straight cut?
    Basically cut so all the curls and fluffiness are gone. So not really a fringe, but not very, very short.

I don't mind my hair a few weeks after getting it cut, I just think what with being average looking, a 'cool, styled' haircut would help my look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Star*)
    My hair is majorly fluffy too, what I do is wash, blow dry, straighten, small bit of hair product then hairspray. You can judge what it looks like on my profile thing and cast your own opinion, but it is usually so fluffy to start with!

Edit: If you do look, I don't usually wear a hairband One off neon night.
    Out of interest what hair product and hairspray do you use? because I also have to straighten mine but still havn't found a good combo to use .

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to grow your hair, you firstly need to tell your hairdresser you want to add length and to start cutting your hair bluntly. Most hairdressers today are too used to 'chipping in' or 'thinning hair'. When they do this they make each section of hair uneven and once the hair starts to grow it wilol fluff. So that is the first thing you need to be aware.

Using a permanent hair straightening product like Str8 Forward Super Straight would make the hair permanently smooth and straight so it wouldn't fluff. You'd need to apply it every 6 weeks.

If you want to wash and style the hair use a straightening balm and comb through the hair when wet and then 'blast' dry it. This will cause the hair to go quite sleek. Running the irons over it will then smooth it out further. As I said, Str8 Forward does this permanently, but if you wanted to just do it as part of your style regime try the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuickestSilver)
    Out of interest what hair product and hairspray do you use? because I also have to straighten mine but still havn't found a good combo to use .

Cheers
    Product: Bed Head: Hard to get, by Tigi
    Spray: Bed Head: Hard Head, by Tigi

ReputationRep:
    Get all of it cut with scissors, and ask to get it thinned out. And use a product, it will then lay flat and be more texturised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Get all of it cut with scissors, and ask to get it thinned out. And use a product, it will then lay flat and be more texturised.

NO! NO! NO! This is dreadful advice! If you take bulk and thin out hair which is prone to fluffing, curlying or frizzing it will get worse. You cannot chip into our take weight of hair like this if you want some degree of length in it.

You need it to be cut bluntly and then allow the weight to start pulling the hair down. DO NOT texturize hair like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Star*)
    Product: Bed Head: Hard to get, by Tigi
    Spray: Bed Head: Hard Head, by Tigi
    Cheers bro.

ReputationRep:
    I looooove fluffy curly hair. Leave it alone

ReputationRep:
    My hair's fluffy as well. I get 3 round the sides and back and a 'messy' trim on top. Then put a tiny bit of wax in, style the fringe slightly to one side and have the rest messed up. Looks pretty cool, I think girls like fluffy hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)
    NO! NO! NO! This is dreadful advice! If you take bulk and thin out hair which is prone to fluffing, curlying or frizzing it will get worse. You cannot chip into our take weight of hair like this if you want some degree of length in it.

You need it to be cut bluntly and then allow the weight to start pulling the hair down. DO NOT texturize hair like this.
    If it's THICK and fluffy when it's medium of length then thinning it out does wonders. I got it done and it's FINE! Make's it much more manageable and then when it grows out the hair will grow in different layers thus falling flat texturized.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.