The Student Room Group

Swiss Army Knife?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kristinaalovesu

Original post by kristinaalovesu
Why do you want to give him a swiss army knife?

Explained earlier in the thread. The issue isn't what I'm getting him anyway :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by thefish_uk

Original post by thefish_uk
The locking can be an issue with some products e.g. most Leatherman multi-tools which have a little metal flap which clicks out and holds the blade open. I think most Swiss army knives don't have this feature though, owing to the fact that they tend to be designed to be carriable for everyday use. The reason I mention this specifically is because some people seem to think the locking blade rule refers only to flick / butterfly knives (i.e. ones that look like they're designed as weapons) when actually it potentially outlaws a lot of ordinary multi-tools too! (If you are carrying them without a specific purpose.)

Which is really annoying, as locking blades are much nicer (and safer) to use as tools, though I guess if used as a weapon you could do more damage with one as they're stiffer than non-locking ones.

BTW - another thing on the legality, I believe that when you talk about a knife being "legal to carry" this is referring to you having it on your person (or nearby) - so in a pocket, on your belt, in a bag, or in the glove box or door pocket of a car. Basically what matters is that it's immediately accessible and deployable as a weapon. This means that if you keep something in the boot of your car (say as part of your emergency kit) it does not have the length, locking etc restrictions as you are not "carrying" it and can't get to it easily. Of course the moment you get it out in a public place, if you do so without reason, you are then committing an offence!

Yeah I'd imagine that he'd keep it in the boot of his car... If he did have it in his glove box or he did have it on him for whatever reason, if the knife attachment is less than 3 inches and it's a proper multi tool then would he have problems do you think?
Original post by Kaykiie

Original post by Kaykiie
Yeah I'd imagine that he'd keep it in the boot of his car... If he did have it in his glove box or he did have it on him for whatever reason, if the knife attachment is less than 3 inches and it's a proper multi tool then would he have problems do you think?

I wouldn't have thought so... TBH a lot would probably depend on the context (why did the police stop him in the first place?). If it was because he got his knife out and started waving it around, obviously there'd be a problem...

This sidesteps the issue (and possibly defeats the point) but you can get knifeless multitools which are intended to be safe and legal to carry. Obviously the downside is you don't get a knife!
That's not a knife, this is a knife:

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by Fusion
Great idea. I think as long as the blade is below 3 inches then there's no legal issue...

Yeah. And a knife is never a crap present, they're always useful. I carry an Opinel no. 6 with me everywhere (not sure about the blade's length, might be legal, might not... not actually measured it).

I hope he likes it, if you get it for him.
Reply 25

Lol girls are crap at getting presents.

I've got two myself, first was given to me randomly by a guy in my tutor in school, don't remember how i got the second. I rarely need/use them.
Original post by thunder_chunky
That's not a knife, this is a knife:

Spoiler

"That's not a knife it's a spoon"
"Ah so I see you've played Knifey Spoony before!"

Classic Simpsons!
Original post by Jenny_Jazz
"That's not a knife it's a spoon"
"Ah so I see you've played Knifey Spoony before!"

Classic Simpsons!

Yes indeed.

Quick Reply