Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The truth about the student protests... Watch

ReputationRep:
    As many of you are probably aware, very few of the students at the protests were have actually been violent or hard to control.

For those of you who haven't heard yet, here's the article about officers pulling a student protester from his wheelchair and dragging him down the street:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/de...ir?INTCMP=SRCH

There was also a video where a policeman was caught on camera beating a student who was backing away - taken down from YouTube now, however.

A couple of friends of mine have set up a website promoting the truth about the student protests, based around people's own experiences of them... if you want to contribute, there's some guidelines here. Email them to [email protected] and we'll get them up as soon as we can.

Edit: As BiGBaDBoO points out, this may seem like a vendetta against the police. It simply is not, we just want to get to the truth of what happened at the protests.

Look, we just want the student protests info, as told by the people who were there! We don't care whose "side" you're on. Stop fighting and send us your stuff!

Edit: This isn't an argument about what the BBC is or isn't doing.
    But in terms of the BBC being neutral, the interview with Jody McIntyre (the guy in the wheelchair) suggests otherwise. That's not what this is about anyway, and there's another thread for that, but it's easy to see why some people don't think the BBC have been entirely neutral regarding the student protests.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNJ3MZ-AUo

ReputationRep:
    I would submit my account and photos to such a website

ReputationRep:
    good idea.

The police need to be held to account over their actions
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen any of the incidents first hand, but I'm all for exposing the truth if there is sufficient evidence - photos, videos and audio recordings. Eye witness accounts just don't do it for me unless there are a considerable number.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC are being biased to a group of people who are there to keep the peace, but we are supposed to believe that they have a deliberate vendetta against students which leads to them hitting kids for Fun?

The BBC are the most unbiased corporation in the world. You could watch Fox News if you want, and then I'm sure you will change your mind

ReputationRep:
    I'd be in on that and post links about the web. Don't think a site already exists for this though so go ahead and create one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    The BBC are being biased to a group of people who are there to keep the peace, but we are supposed to believe that they have a deliberate vendetta against students which leads to them hitting kids for Fun?

The BBC are the most unbiased corporation in the world. You could watch Fox News if you want, and then I'm sure you will change your mind
    I'm not saying that none of the protesters were in the wrong, but the majority of them were abiding by the rules. Looking over reports from the BBC displays a strong bias towards the police (which, it could be argued, is fair enough) but they've also interviewed students with a scepticism to almost everything the students are saying.

The BBC are not the most unbiased corporation in the world. And I've watched Fox News with repulsion enough thanks.

I assume you didn't watch BBC News 24 on Thursday?
    I'll also make the crazy assumption that you weren't actually at the protests and were not able to compare the actual situation with the reports from the BBC on it.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get a good deal of evidence go for it. Although do not make this into a vendetta against the police, most officers are simply doing there job and trying to keep the peace, just like most protesters are peaceful.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    The Beeb has been remarkably impartial on the protests so far, I think. Unlike more sensationalist news gatherers, they usually only report stuff that they have some form of evidence for. I say usually, of course even the BBC can be sensationalist at times, that comes with the territory these days. In any case, stuff on the fees protests doesn't seem to have been censored, more just scrutinised really. They don't want to report every Joe Bloggs and Jane Smith who says some police officer hit them, there's no evidence, no followup and no story.

And you want a website where you can collaborate facts that the traditional media won't print, gather videos, photos and other evidence and release it to the unsuspecting world in hope of change? Have you given Wikileaks a call? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The BBC aren't there to shove opinions down are throats. Being sympathetic to a political cause reeks of bias, and would put them on the same path as FOX News; reporting crimes is not biased in the slightest. Whether they're out of context or not is irrelevant in this case, because presenting the context would be a sign of bias as it makes us evaluate the events in a manner of their choosing.

Raw facts are the only fair way to do it, and the BBC are on the ball. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the student protests and I'm appalled at the way some officers have handled events, but I'm not going to point fingers where they don't belong/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you have this evidence then go to the IPCC it will do far more than setting up a site. As all that will lead to is an IPCC investigation anyway. Might as well be direct

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone who says biased opinions are no good.
    I agree that not all police are bad.
    I agree that it will do no good to create a vendetta against police.

However,

- Eyewitness evidence, photos and videos should be collected
    - I do not deny the wrongdoing of the students, but this does not justify excessive violence, use of force and injury from the police
    - The IPCC and police will cover their backs unless overwhelming evidence shows police wrongdoing. De Menezes, Tomlinson, Blair Peach, miners strike. They will lie unless clear evidence is produced.

Did you know that some years ago, nearly 300 people a year died in police custody? That's almost 1 per day. These figures were found and published in a newspaper and public awareness grew. The next year, the death rate almost halved. Coincidence?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Did you know that some years ago, nearly 300 people a year died in police custody? That's almost 1 per day. These figures were found and published in a newspaper and public awareness grew. The next year, the death rate almost halved. Coincidence?
    The statistic is 400 people across 10 years. This includes anyone who committed suicide or died in a car accident whilst being chased by police.

ReputationRep:
    so that justifies trashing the place, attacking members of the Royal Family, disrespecting the dead, and generally being ********s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joni_richardson)
    As many of you are probably aware, very few of the students at the protests were have actually been violent or hard to control.

For those of you who haven't heard yet, here's the article about officers pulling a student protester from his wheelchair and dragging him down the street:

There was also a video where a policeman was caught on camera beating a student who was backing away - taken down from YouTube now, however.

A girl at an anti-cuts meeting today also reported that while she was pushed up against a bollard at the London protests and unable to move, a police officer pushed up against her and said "This is how much I ****ing love touching girls without a condom", so yeah. He has been reported to the IPPC. Pretty messed up stuff.

A couple of friends of mine have set up a website promoting the truth about the student protests, based around people's own experiences of them... if you want to contribute, there's some guidelines here. Email them to [email protected] and we'll get them up as soon as we can.

Edit: As BiGBaDBoO points out, this may seem like a vendetta against the police. It simply is not, we just want to get to the truth of what happened at the protests. The behaviour of some of the students was appalling, but some of the police's actions were pretty shocking too.

But in terms of the BBC being neutral, the interview with Jody McIntyre (the guy in the wheelchair) suggests otherwise. That's not what this is about anyway, and there's another thread for that, but it's easy to see why some people don't think the BBC have been entirely neutral regarding the student protests.
    The BBC is neutral. I do not find any bias.

I agree the police should not have done what they have done. That is wrong. What do you want the BBC to do? Pat Jody on the back or challenge him as to why he was at the protest. He did say that he was a revolutionist and to achieve it was through direct means.

ReputationRep:
    WTF! Is it just me or is this forum crawling with shills?

(Original post by useless eater)
      What are 'shills?' :confused:

[I must be getting old...she muses to herself]

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
      The BBC is neutral. I do not find any bias.

I agree the police should not have done what they have done. That is wrong. What do you want the BBC to do? Pat Jody on the back or challenge him as to why he was at the protest. He did say that he was a revolutionist and to achieve it was through direct means.
      I'm not saying the BBC are biased in general. Hell, I'm not saying the BBC itself are biased at all. Ben Brown's handling of the debates about the fees has been pretty poor though; don't know if you saw last Thursday's News 24? It was on in the background at mine pretty much all day and Ben Brown was pretty terrible about the whole thing.

I didn't have any issues with the BBC until then, so it's not like I'm just saying these things because that's how I've always felt, I just think some of the journalists' ways of dealing with these issues has been pretty poor.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by useless eater)
      I just looked up what a shill is, and no.
      It's me and one other person involved in this project, and he doesn't even have a student room account.
      Unless he's made them all without me realising, haha.

Besides, I've had more disagreements than agreements. No shills here.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joni_richardson)

A girl at an anti-cuts meeting today also reported that while she was pushed up against a bollard at the London protests and unable to move, a police officer pushed up against her and said "This is how much I ****ing love touching girls without a condom", so yeah. He has been reported to the IPPC. Pretty messed up stuff.

Edit: As BiGBaDBoO points out, this may seem like a vendetta against the police. It simply is not, we just want to get to the truth of what happened at the protests. The behaviour of some of the students was appalling, but some of the police's actions were pretty shocking too.

There was also a less biased report, where the wheelchair user in question was actually being used as a weapon (battering ram) just before this picture was taken, by his brother.
      If you've ever been rammed with the steel frame on a wheelchair, it is a force not to be reckoned with...

A lot (NOT ALL) of these students are just protesting for the sake of protesting.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.