Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an Acer laptop which I bought in early 2008, and has had so many issues and a final one being that the only administrator account has suffered the 'user profile service' failure error, which I've read around that I can only fix by resetting to factory settings (and I've already sent it off to my insurers and they have said the same).

However when I restore to factory settings, will this only be applied to the main partition, or also the a 'free' partition which has all my data stored/backed up in? Atm I have not got an external hard drive to back it up with, so if I restore to factory settings, will my D: Drive still remain as normal? Or should I just wait until I have purchased a ext hard drive before I restore it?

(Also my recovery files are on a recovery disc, not on a partition)

ReputationRep:
    well ,I know nothing about acer, but lenovo will keep the things outside the system partition still.

and it doesnt matter the recovery application is on a disk or a hidden patition,

but, if luck enough, your recovery disk is merely a system disk, you can install the system without format your hard driver.

why not find a friend of you and transfer all the things to their laptop or external hd temporarily? you can fulfill the transfer with the help of router or to say in a lan. it's very fast.

ReputationRep:
    It should leave it untouched theoretically, but it depends what you use to do it really. I wouldn't put it past Acer to just write the whole disk, partition table and all.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm seeing as I've never done this before I guess I'll just use a external hard drive for the mean time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.