The Student Room Group

How much math in this CS degree?

Hello folks

Like a lot of people here, I'm thinking of taking an undergrad in Computer Science because I want to get into the gaming industry.
Thing is, the last time I had maths was in my O levels and I tried to just get it done and out of the way because it wasn't really my strong point. Anyways, i managed to get a D in it. Did not take it in my A levels.

So now I'm faced to deal with maths again. This is the degree I'm looking at. How much and what level of maths does it involve?

http://www.cs.tamu.edu/academics/catalog

Please be specific because like i said, i just tried to rush through my O levels maths and am not really familiar with terms like algebra and calculus etc.
Reply 1
CS degrees in most Uni's expect a basic grounding in ALevel maths. This is why most courses require it as part of the placement. Where I go we're expected to be fairly competent and familiar with ALevel mathematics.
Reply 2
Ive had a brief look at the link you posted. I know that in my CS degree theres quite a lot of Maths and I have regular lectures and practicals which focus purely on the Maths side of it, I imagine its the same for most CS degrees. Also, the content is what I did in A Level Maths too, so whilst I dont find it that hard because ive done it before, if you hadnt done it before I imagine it would be quite hard to grasp.
Reply 3
Original post by THRASHx
Ive had a brief look at the link you posted. I know that in my CS degree theres quite a lot of Maths and I have regular lectures and practicals which focus purely on the Maths side of it, I imagine its the same for most CS degrees. Also, the content is what I did in A Level Maths too, so whilst I dont find it that hard because ive done it before, if you hadnt done it before I imagine it would be quite hard to grasp.

Hmm ok thanks buddy!
Others have been telling me to go for it, rather than a pure games degree for obvious reasons. They also said I will be able to manage the maths even if i did not have it in A levels, since its all basic stuff.

Can some one else check out the link i provided in my first post and give their opinion on the maths bit, please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending