Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How religious are the old English people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How religious are old English people? I don't actually know any, and I am not English myself and my grandparents have never even been to England, so can't really answer based on my own experiences.

But English people (or Scottish/Welsh people), what are your grandparents like? Are they religious Christians? What about old people here in general? Is atheism common among old English people?

What I want to especially know is how religious they are compared to the young and current generation of Christians in the USA too.

I mean for example is it normal for old English people to be like the people in this video? Or was this type of behaviour in the video normal when they were younger?

ReputationRep:
    I only have 1 granny left, and she ain't religious at all really

ReputationRep:
    A lot more religious than our generation.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my grandmother is fairly religious - attends Church etc. My other grandparents probably not so, but they're all dead now. I think, as an American, you need to delve more into England's religious past. Religion has formed and destroyed our country in equal measure over the centuries. Although to foreigners the Tudors and the Reformation are just something to be studied in History, you'd be surprised just how much this event and era in particular still shapes our country today. Her Majesty was booed and had abuse slung her way as she made her way into a Catholic Church, being called a traitor. Her Majesty has also kissed the Papal ring which caused controversy. So I when it suits them, people are religious, although not for moral reasons, more political. Religion is a far more complex topic in England than it is in America. I think this is true for most western European countries, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Even our most enthusiastic Christians aren't anything like those... people. For lack of a more appropriate word.

And not just because people here generally act a lot more reserved.

As far as I remember athiesm is more widespread in every generation here than over the pond. Our parents generation had a much bigger dip than ours though.

ReputationRep:
    Both my grandmother and grandfather on my Mother's side of the family are pretty religious.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all of them are.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    All of my grandparents are lightly religious- none of them go to church but if you asked them they'd say they're Christian.

ReputationRep:
    My Grandma used to say "I don't believe and I don't not believe." It doesn't really make sense but I guess it means she was agnostic. She wasn't really sold on the whole god idea, but I think she did believe in an afterlife. Which seems natural when faced with your own mortality.

I can't remember my Grandad ever mentioning anything about religion. I never met my grandparents on the other side of the family.

ReputationRep:
    All my grandparents were agnostic or atheist; having an intelligent family rules.

ReputationRep:
    None of mine are religious.

ReputationRep:
    My Granny is Irish and therefore bums the Pope.
    My Grandad goes to church with her, but I think it's just to keep her happy.

My other grandad isn't at all.
    My dead gran wasn't either.

But if you go to a church, the majority of people there will be old I generally find.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's dad isn't particularly religious, but my mum's parents are both pretty religious. My nan was taught in a convent and my granddad raised in rural Ireland . . .

However I get the sense that church is also largely a social thing for them and they don't consult the bible every time they run into a minor problem. They're both OK with me being an atheist and we've had some theological debates.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes, most of them are - but keep in mind that, maybe outside of Northern Ireland and the islands of Scotland, the vast majority of Christians are liberal, Church of England types who don't feel massively obliged to attend church regularly and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    British Christianity was never like Jesus Camp.

ReputationRep:
    My Grandmother used to sleep with a bible under her pillow lol. Old English people are generally religious (in that the vast majority would class themselves as Christian) but probably not quite as religious as Americans of the same generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redkicker)
    How religious are old English people? I don't actually know any, and I am not English myself and my grandparents have never even been to England, so can't really answer based on my own experiences.

But English people (or Scottish/Welsh people), what are your grandparents like? Are they religious Christians? What about old people here in general? Is atheism common among old English people?

What I want to especially know is how religious they are compared to the young and current generation of Christians in the USA too.

I mean for example is it normal for old English people to be like the people in this video? Or was this type of behaviour in the video normal when they were younger?

both of my grandparents are very strong atheists. they hate churches

ReputationRep:
    None of my family were at all religious, but they might say that they had Christian values in terms of morality and lifestyle. I remember my nan telling me that God would be upset if I was greedy and ate too many sweets, but she would never talk about sin or anything.

ReputationRep:
    My granddad on my mum's side used to call religion 'a load of swish swash swosh.' Think he meant all the rituals of the Anglican church...

My nan on my mums side claims to be an athiest though I spotted her making the sign of the cross when we were on a visit to Paddy's wigwam in Liverpool!

On my dad's side my grandparents are uber-Baptist. Almost like the evangelical right of America. Quite scary really, yet away from all that they're lovely people...

On the whole older people come from a more deferential time and like my nan, can't seem to break away from the religion they were raised in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.