Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question for the ladies, really:

Would you notice if a guy had well-groomed nails and/or finger nail area? What about if he had disgusting fingers, dirt under the nails, or simply bitten down to the very bone?

Reason I ask is, I got tired of clipping and biting my nails down to the bare minimum, and consequently having it hurt when picking things up, applying pressure with my fingers and washing my hands and so-forth. Hence, I've began recently growing them, making sure they look presentable, keeping the nails round, and it looks really good (in my opinion, of course).

I mean, it's not unusual for people to take exquisite care of their teeth, hair, face, skin etc-- I've just taken it one step further.

So, ladies, would you think that such attention to something quite trivial is weird for a guy? Or would it make you think he was generally more well groomed?

I know every bloke is going to think I'm a raging bender, though that's the risk I took when making this thread. Call the cops, I don't give a toss.

ReputationRep:
    lol I do that too, but I can't stop doing it

I even bite the skin of my fingers :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    don't you know what a nail clipper is? thats far more sexier

ReputationRep:
    I noticed everything from head to toe.
    If i find him with dirty long fingernails i will definitely freak out but not in a noticeable way. :p:
    You should at least clean it once a week.
    Personally though, if i like someone so much, it would really really freak me out at first but i still end up liking them. :mmm:
    I can teach him on the way how to be nice and clean anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Question for the ladies, really:

Would you notice if a guy had well-groomed nails and/or finger nail area? What about if he had disgusting fingers, dirt under the nails, or simply bitten down to the very bone?

Reason I ask is, I got tired of clipping and biting my nails down to the bare minimum, and consequently having it hurt when picking things up, applying pressure with my fingers and washing my hands and so-forth. Hence, I've began recently growing them, making sure they look presentable, keeping the nails round, and it looks really good (in my opinion, of course).

I mean, it's not unusual for people to take exquisite care of their teeth, hair, face, skin etc-- I've just taken it one step further.

So, ladies, would you think that such attention to something quite trivial is weird for a guy? Or would it make you think he was generally more well groomed?

I know every bloke is going to think I'm a raging bender, though that's the risk I took when making this thread. Call the cops, I don't give a toss.
    Trust me mate, we notice. I saw this guy on the bus, and he had the most disgusting fingernails ever..they were overgrown, and really really dirty. Plus he had ugly hands. Also, there's this guy in one of my seminars at uni..and for some unknown reason, he's growing the nail on his pinky finger..and it's really long and gross and starting to yellow. It's repulsive..the first thought that came into my head was "stay away from me". But clipping them down to the point when they're red and raw is just painful to look at :/

I don't think it's weird, I think it's basic hygiene. We brush our teeth twice a day, comb our hair and what not, it's not difficult to trim nails and make sure they're clean! So good on you

Sorry for such a long post on fingernails, but I feel quite strongly about the subject

(P.S All of the above applies to toenails too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Trust me mate, we notice. I saw this guy on the bus, and he had the most disgusting fingernails ever..they were overgrown, and really really dirty. Plus he had ugly hands. Also, there's this guy in one of my seminars at uni..and for some unknown reason, he's growing the nail on his pinky finger..and it's really long and gross and starting to yellow. It's repulsive..the first thought that came into my head was "stay away from me". But clipping them down to the point when they're red and raw is just painful to look at :/

I don't think it's weird, I think it's basic hygiene. We brush our teeth twice a day, comb our hair and what not, it's not difficult to trim nails and make sure they're clean! So good on you

Sorry for such a long post on fingernails, but I feel quite strongly about the subject

I should have mentioned, it goes beyond general cleanliness and clipping.

I file them so they're whiteish and perfectly round, with the right amount of the the whiter part of the nail at the end perfectly similar throughout, in addition to clipping that encroaching skin you have going from the cuticle. Plus those weird skin flecks you get on the skin behind your nail. Aye, they all go.

I'm not a weirdo, honestly.

ReputationRep:
    I like a guy to have short, clean nails. I'd only begin to get freaked out if there was competition over who spent the longest time/gave more attention to their nails out of the two of us.

ReputationRep:
    I'm put off by dirty nails, purely because it's basic hygiene and if a guy doesn't keep his nails clean he probably doesn't take much care otherwise in the hygiene department. Perfectly groomed nails are fine as long as they're short, I don't know why but I don't like long nails on men.

ReputationRep:
    I have kind of a phobia about fingernails that extend more than a couple millimetres beyond the point at which it's impossible to cut them down (without them hurting). They literally make me feel sick, for some reason I just find them so horrible. I'm not a germphobe at all really, but all I can think about is all the germs that live under them, and how I would hate to be touched by hands like that. :nooo:
    So yes I definitely DO notice. I'm indifferent to their being bitten down. As long as they're not long.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but what are peoples opinions on guys having fairly long, well kept nails on one hand (for classical guitar playing)?

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminded me I needed to cut my nails and I can't find my clippers - ANYWAY! :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    I should have mentioned, it goes beyond general cleanliness and clipping.

I file them so they're whiteish and perfectly round, with the right amount of the the whiter part of the nail at the end perfectly similar throughout, in addition to clipping that encroaching skin you have going from the cuticle. Plus those weird skin flecks you get on the skin behind your nail. Aye, they all go.

I'm not a weirdo, honestly.
    I don't think that's an issue..not unless you spend all of your time obsessing over your nails, in which case it's a bit strange! It's not like you need to broadcast this to people you meet..

ReputationRep:
    Ideally a guy's nails should be as short as possible. Long nails on anyone freaks me out.

ReputationRep:
    Keep them as short as possible. Long nails on men, can be quite off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)

he was probably on coke!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you haven't got sombody elses blood on your fingers, I'll probably be fine.

I bite my own nails, and that has never been a deciding factor on whether or not I get a date (as far as I know)
    Just don't let 'em get "witchy" long, or let looads of crap build up under there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we notice, well I definitely would. Just don't bite your nails - a guy who has really short bitten nails is not attractive. Make sure they're clean and trimmed to a sensible length.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xayshx)
    he was probably on coke!
    :O Well I know he does weed? Hopefully he doesn't do coke..How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but what are peoples opinions on guys having fairly long, well kept nails on one hand (for classical guitar playing)?
    Mmmm fingernails for guitar playing :sogood:

But seriously, my old guitar teacher had nails that were about a cm long on one hand, possibly 1.5cm. Sexy. (no sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
    To quote the OP himself, you are a raging bender

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.