Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rowing Machine or Cross Trainer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym 5 days a week, doing 45 minutes cardio, then 30 minute muscle workout. I do 45 minutes on the cross trainer (500 calories) usually increaseing the level every 10 minutes for 1 minute to replicate HIIT. The cross trainer seems to burn calories faster than the bike or rowing machine. However I'm working on increasing muscle mass as well as lowering body fat, so would burning 500 calories on the rowing machine be more efficient for trying to reach my goals since it works the arms, body and legs? Does it help tone the body?

Also is 4 days rest between muscle group work outs enough?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    I go to the gym 5 days a week, doing 45 minutes cardio, then 30 minute muscle workout. I do 45 minutes on the cross trainer (500 calories) usually increaseing the level every 10 minutes for 1 minute to replicate HIIT. The cross trainer seems to burn calories faster than the bike or rowing machine. However I'm working on increasing muscle mass as well as lowering body fat, so would burning 500 calories on the rowing machine be more efficient for trying to reach my goals since it works the arms, body and legs? Does it help tone the body?

Also is 4 days rest between muscle group work outs enough?

Thanks
    Not an expert on this matter, but I own and use regularly a cross trainer and rowing machine. I kinda disagree with you when you say the cross trainer burns more calories, I find that I can go on it for ages without getting tired (probably caused by the momentum from the "pedalling" motion), whilst the rower is much more tiring and intensive if you're pushing hard. Yeah, you should use the rower, it works pretty much everything including your core and is a good cardio exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    4 days rest is plenty of time to let your body recover however bodybuilder splits aren't usually that effective for beginners. The strength gains are incredibly slow compared to strength routines and the types of exercises you do aren't terribly useful in the real world.
    Thanks for that, but what do you mean by strength routines?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.