Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym 5 days a week, doing 45 minutes cardio. I would then work on a muscle group for 20-30 minutes, a different group everyday. For example Monday I would do 5 sets on my triceps and 5 sets on my chest, Tuesday I'd do 5 sets on biceps, back and shoulders, Wednesday rest, Thursday 5 sets on inner thighs, outter thighs (don't know the muscle names ), and calves, Friday 5 sets on abs, Saturday back to triceps and chest, Sunday biceps, back and shoulders, and Monday rest.

Basically what I want to know is do I need to do more than 5 sets (20-30 mins) on each muscle group or will that do? I don't want to overtrain you see And is there any way I can make this routine more efficient?

Thanks

Edit: I would tell you the names of the machines I use, but I don't know the names!

ReputationRep:
    You should be doing your cardio after weights not before

Switch to 45-50 minutes of weights and 20-30 minutes of cardio, do HIIT to make it time efficient

Stop using weight machines and start using free weights, machines suck

Do rippetoes barbell training since you're n00bish to free weights, focus on compound movements

Eat lots

LoL at over training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    I go to the gym 5 days a week, doing 45 minutes cardio. I would then work on a muscle group for 20-30 minutes, a different group everyday. For example Monday I would do 5 sets on my triceps and 5 sets on my chest, Tuesday I'd do 5 sets on biceps, back and shoulders, Wednesday rest, Thursday 5 sets on inner thighs, outter thighs (don't know the muscle names ), and calves, Friday 5 sets on abs, Saturday back to triceps and chest, Sunday biceps, back and shoulders, and Monday rest.

Basically what I want to know is do I need to do more than 5 sets (20-30 mins) on each muscle group or will that do? I don't want to overtrain you see And is there any way I can make this routine more efficient?

Thanks

Edit: I would tell you the names of the machines I use, but I don't know the names!
    lol your weights > cardio regimen is totally the wrong way round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You should be doing your cardio after weights not before

Switch to 45-50 minutes of weights and 20-30 minutes of cardio, do HIIT to make it time efficient

Stop using weight machines and start using free weights, machines suck

Do rippetoes barbell training since you're n00bish to free weights, focus on compound movements

Eat lots

LoL at over training
    Thanks, I didn't really think of it like that. I was advised to do the cardio first, so it warms up the body for when you're doing weights, so less chance of injury

And is 45 minutes doing weights enough?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I didn't really think of it like that. I was advised to do the cardio first, so it warms up the body for when you're doing weights, so less chance of injury

You warm up for weights by doing weights, but lighter.

So if you were going to squat 100kg 3x5, you might do.

20kg x10
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    90kg x1
    100kg x5
    100kg x5
    100kg x5

ReputationRep:

It should be sufficient for you, if you don't feel like its enough feel free to do more, just get yourself a solid routine that you follow so you're not aimlessly using machines while in the gym and you use your time more efficiently

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.